ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 14th, 2011, 11:04 PM   #1
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Have you ever had ur bike stolen??

So when I first came to the forums there was a thread about security sytems and if they're worth it. I've come to the conclusion that they wouldn't hurt and would give me peace in mind. But I didn't think too much about what if my bike did get stolen. After going to the dealer and hearing what they said about bikes and how we're usually put at the bottom of the polices priority list when they're stolen, I was wondering who here has actually had their bike stolen before? Also, what did you do about it? Thanks.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #2
vecr81
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ashley

Motorcycle(s): Bruised 2009 Kawasaki 250r

I had a Yamaha vino 125 stolen from me. Unfortunately I didn't have it locked up nor did I have insurance on it at the time (was mainly driving the bike and the car). I reported it to the police, and he has only followed up on it once, so yeah, I'm never gonna see my awesome little scoot ever again
vecr81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
2 bikes were stolen from my complex last year... they were at the front, unlocked, high visibility. there are 7 other bikes in the complex including my two, 4 of which stay locked when parked. it's a pretty good neighborhood with a police station 4 miles down the road

Old July 15th, 2011, 12:13 AM   #4
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Anything you guys did different since to help secure your bike even more, or to help deter it from getting stolen? I understand if someone wants it bad enough they'll take it, but I sure as hell would love to make it as hard as possible.

Old July 15th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #5
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

I constantly worry about my bikes getting stolen. On my ninjette, if its gonna be parked for more than 20 mins I lock the back wheel with a kevlar chain lock. My CBR had an alarm installed by the dealer right after I bought it. The alarm has a stand alone battery in case the battery lines get cut. That thing is loud and goes crazy for 3 minutes.
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 12:49 AM   #6
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I lock my steering wheel everytime I get off it. I also park in my garage, it would be very difficult to steal.

Also get theft insurance its rather cheap if you get the $5000 policy since that is all you will need
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 12:49 AM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it seems like most people steal bikes one of two ways; either they lift it into the back of a truck, or if its just got the steering lock and there is only one thief, they break the steering lock and wheel it away. both of these methods can be made difficult to the point where a thief will look somewhere else for an easier target simply by locking the bike to something solid. some of the people in my complex also box their bike in behind their car but it seems semi pointless to me... if someone can lift it into a truck, they can lift it 6" up a curb and walk it 10 feet around your car to get to their truck.

Old July 15th, 2011, 01:22 AM   #8
Mr.E
That rider dude.

So let's say you guys had to park it in a parking lot, whether it be a store or at the park or even out front at a friends house, what do u do? I couldn't imagine carrying a huge chain with me all the time. I'm certainly getting theft insurance though. I see disc locks (I think that's the right term), and always wondered how easy those are to carry around and what not.

Old July 15th, 2011, 02:41 AM   #9
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
So let's say you guys had to park it in a parking lot, whether it be a store or at the park or even out front at a friends house, what do u do? I couldn't imagine carrying a huge chain with me all the time. I'm certainly getting theft insurance though. I see disc locks (I think that's the right term), and always wondered how easy those are to carry around and what not.
They're easy to carry around, especially if you have a back pack. I'm not sure exactly how well they work but they're a better deterrent than nothing. I will tell you though, I used to keep mine under the cowl in the rear seat storage, got to work one day and....

well I have no idea where it went. It was definitely there before I started riding... So find a good way to secure that thing so it doesn't weasel its way out while you ride
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 03:24 AM   #10
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

A few times. Best thing to do I found is vist the local race tracks about a month later.
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 06:23 AM   #11
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda Cx500 Custom, 2002 Ninja 250

Insure it and forget it. The only time I would worry about theft is if I were traveling on it. Would really suck to be 2 or 3 states over walk out of your hotel room and no bike. I worry more about somebody knocking mine over or vandilizing it more than theft.

Its your bike until somebody wants it more than you do. Doesn't matter what locks/alarms you have.

Old July 15th, 2011, 06:43 AM   #12
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I had two stolen from a storage locker. It still pisses me off.

Old July 15th, 2011, 06:48 AM   #13
Sonofswin
Old Guy, New Bike

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Blue Ninja 250R, Yamaha SRV250

Disclocks

I use a Xena disc lock alarm, for two reasons. It's small enough to carry in a leather pouch under the seat cowl. (I hook it under the strap for the tool kit so it doesn't bounce around.) And second, it's loud enough and tough enough to be a deterrent.

I understand the idea that if somebody really wants to take the bike, they will probably get it, but I also think just a little deterrent goes a long way. The Xena was relatively cheap, is easy to use (you'll never forget to remove it from your disc and try to drive away like you may on a normal disc lock) and is sensitive enough to keep people from messing with your bike when you aren't around.

PS: No, I am not affiliated in any way with Xena, I just find their products useful/appropriate for my situation.
Sonofswin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #14
SES2009
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I have a GPS alarm system from Ituran called "Ride it" which I absolutely love. It was costly at around $500.00 and $129 a year for the service but in my opinion it's worth it. One of the key features that sold me was accident detection, if I ever get in an accident Ituran sends emergency personel to my GPS location. I have an iPhone and there is an app available that allows you to arm, disarm, see the status or location of the bike etc... Also any time the alarm is triggered I get an text message within 15 seconds. I do have full coverage insurance but I would hate to have to replace my bike because some assclown decides to take it.
SES2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #15
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SES2009 View Post
I have a GPS alarm system from Ituran called "Ride it" which I absolutely love. It was costly at around $500.00 and $129 a year for the service but in my opinion it's worth it. One of the key features that sold me was accident detection, if I ever get in an accident Ituran sends emergency personel to my GPS location. I have an iPhone and there is an app available that allows you to arm, disarm, see the status or location of the bike etc... Also any time the alarm is triggered I get an text message within 15 seconds. I do have full coverage insurance but I would hate to have to replace my bike because some assclown decides to take it.
The dealership was trying to sell me something like that. In the end I opted not to get it. But your system sounds much better. Theirs didnt send any alerts or anything. Did you get it from the dealership or through someone/somewhere else?

Old July 15th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #16
SES2009
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
The dealership was trying to sell me something like that. In the end I opted not to get it. But your system sounds much better. Theirs didnt send any alerts or anything. Did you get it from the dealership or through someone/somewhere else?
I bought it at http://www.bikebone.com/page/BBSC/PR...racking/RideIT and it wa actually cheaper with them than buying directly from Ituran. I installed the alarm myself and it took around four hours due to the mounting location of the brain and making all the wiring look like it came from the factory.

Also, you can set up a whole bunch of other alerts like ignition on/off, geo-zoning, and speed traps.... The alarm comes with two remotes that when setup properly disarm the bike when keyfob is near it so you don't even have to disarm it, just start up the bike and go.

There is no audible alarm either since the whole purpose is to track where the theifs are and you don't want them hear it then attempt to disable the alarm. Once you call ituran and let them know your bike is MIA they will call the local police and let the dispatcher know of the location of your motorcycle so they can send the LEO's to get the bad guys.

Let me know if I can answer any othe questions. I'll post some screen shots of the user interface if it would help anyone in making a decision on purchasing something like this. I know $500 is a lot of cash to plunk down!
SES2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #17
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

My 2002 Yamaha was stolen from me.

I installed a www.internatrix.com two-way pager alarm on all my bikes.

No more stolen bikes....nuff said.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #18
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

I had my bikes stolen when I was a kid...and cars stolen...

I'm paranoid about my bike so I bought a car cover and a chain and I lock it up when I'm not using it to the pole in my parking spot.

Is it good that 250's aren't on the list of top stolen bikes?
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #19
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Quote:
So does that mean you got your bike????
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #20
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honko View Post
So does that mean you got your bike????
Kind of sorta. I actually was able to put it on lay away (which doest happen with 250s much, the financer was surprised). Otd its near 6000 (I know, I know, but I'm willing to pay it.) So I put 2500 down and the next two months I pay like 1777. Since I did it this way, they took it off the sales floor and put my name on it. So no one else at all can but it, and it is mine. Its just being held hostage.

The limit to pay it off completely is september 30, but with theway things are going I may have it done inlate august or early september. So, technically, yes I got the bike. Lol.

@ses, that sure beats the 1000 is costed to get it installed at the dealership. It does the same thing. Thank you for bringing it up. Once I get the bike home and add all my farkles, that's deff something ill be taking into consideration.

Old July 15th, 2011, 09:12 PM   #21
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Kind of sorta. I actually was able to put it on lay away (which doest happen with 250s much, the financer was surprised). Otd its near 6000 (I know, I know, but I'm willing to pay it.) So I put 2500 down and the next two months I pay like 1777. Since I did it this way, they took it off the sales floor and put my name on it. So no one else at all can but it, and it is mine. Its just being held hostage.

The limit to pay it off completely is september 30, but with theway things are going I may have it done inlate august or early september. So, technically, yes I got the bike. Lol.

@ses, that sure beats the 1000 is costed to get it installed at the dealership. It does the same thing. Thank you for bringing it up. Once I get the bike home and add all my farkles, that's deff something ill be taking into consideration.
6grand!? holy **** man how many dealers did you call!? One!?
AFM #676

Old July 15th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #22
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Yeah its a lot I agree. I've actually been meaning to look at the paper they gave us. On the site it says they're 3999 but now that I think of it, it may be 4999 on the paper... because the guy who initially talked to me told me otd it'd b around 5600 with fees and tags.... you are right I should look at the paper. If there is an error it'll be stupid of me to have not have noticed before... damn. I have to wait though since I work now till 7am.

Old July 15th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #23
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I called about 13 dealers to find the one with lowest OTD price. Then I pit them against eachother to make them lower their prices even more.

Tell them you have reconsidered and you want your down payment back.
AFM #676

Old July 15th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #24
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Well, its not that easy. Infact, its already been signed in a contract saying the 2500 down payment isn't refundable lol. But even though it is being overpayed, I'm still happy with the choice and the people there. I'm going to look at the paper and recalculate. It maybe the price with the extended warrenty if I'm not mistaking.

Old July 15th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #25
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Plus its the white one. I've asked around in my area and these were the only ones that had it. They go quick I guess. Which is why I decided to put the down payment. Also a motive to keep me from not wasting my money.

Old July 15th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #26
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Damn dude, I'm sorry to say it but you got played. When I started asking around for a black bike my first quote was $7000. And after that I got similar quotes from other dealers $6000 $6500 $6400. I called these guys for about 4 weeks until I got to the lowest price I felt I could get.

I think since you payed so much you should go in and ask for some free gear and free frame sliders. You still have something to bargain with and that is your future service with this dealer (oil changes, maintenance, etc.) Let them know you feel dissatisfied with how much you paid and what it will take to make you a satisfied customer.
AFM #676

Old July 15th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #27
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Damn dude, I'm sorry to say it but you got played. When I started asking around for a black bike my first quote was $7000. And after that I got similar quotes from other dealers $6000 $6500 $6400. I called these guys for about 4 weeks until I got to the lowest price I felt I could get.

I think since you payed so much you should go in and ask for some free gear and free frame sliders. You still have something to bargain with and that is your future service with this dealer (oil changes, maintenance, etc.) Let them know you feel dissatisfied with how much you paid and what it will take to make you a satisfied customer.
An object is worth whatever someone will pay for it. If he got what he wanted and he's OK with the price, I don't see the need to hassle him about it.

Supply and demand has a huge part to play in it as well, so 6K may not be bad on a hard to find bike. 6K for a Ninjette is normal out here. Hell, a lot of people sell current year Ninjettes used out here for that price.

Also, since the dealer is setting up a layaway plan on a SE, I would expect some type of markup if they didn't have an overabundance of them.
RhinoJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #28
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoJC View Post
An object is worth whatever someone will pay for it. If he got what he wanted and he's OK with the price, I don't see the need to hassle him about it.

Supply and demand has a huge part to play in it as well, so 6K may not be bad on a hard to find bike. 6K for a Ninjette is normal out here. Hell, a lot of people sell current year Ninjettes used out here for that price.

Also, since the dealer is setting up a layaway plan on a SE, I would expect some type of markup if they didn't have an overabundance of them.
I still think he can get some free gear out of it. He even said himself that he was quoted $5600. They have a nice profit margin on maintenance so if Mr.E (lol whats ur name?) expresses dissatisfaction with his purchase and more importantly in the dealer then he may be able to get some free gear or some money knocked off the purchase price so that he will be a happy and returning customer. I'm not trying to chastise him, I'm trying to help him.
AFM #676

Old July 15th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #29
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I still think he can get some free gear out of it. He even said himself that he was quoted $5600. They have a nice profit margin on maintenance so if Mr.E (lol whats ur name?) expresses dissatisfaction with his purchase and more importantly in the dealer then he may be able to get some free gear or some money knocked off the purchase price so that he will be a happy and returning customer. I'm not trying to chastise him, I'm trying to help him.
By trying to get him to scam a dealership that's already doing him a favor? They had zero reason to put the bike on layaway for him, yet they did. It's the beginning of summer and he bought a SE, I doubt they would have had too much of a problem selling it to someone else.
RhinoJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #30
Mr.E
That rider dude.

^^ he is right. I appreciate the advice though sean (and my name is eric lol). The quote isn't too far off. Like I said, I have to look at the papers again, I'm pretty sure the extended warrenty made the price so high. Its 509 for 3 years. Like I said before, the finance guy was really surprised they let me do the lay away. He said on 250s that doesn't usually happen.

It is exspensive but I'm willing to pay it. They seemed nice enough that if there was a miscalculation in the price they would fix it. The whole time the guy kept telling me if I can't afford it, walk away. Which was actually nice of them because I felt no pressure to sign or agree to the price. Infact, we got it haggled down some bit.but I appreciate the advice. Certainly has me wanting to check the price thing again.

Old July 16th, 2011, 12:01 AM   #31
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
^^ he is right. I appreciate the advice though sean (and my name is eric lol). The quote isn't too far off. Like I said, I have to look at the papers again, I'm pretty sure the extended warrenty made the price so high. Its 509 for 3 years. Like I said before, the finance guy was really surprised they let me do the lay away. He said on 250s that doesn't usually happen.

It is exspensive but I'm willing to pay it. They seemed nice enough that if there was a miscalculation in the price they would fix it. The whole time the guy kept telling me if I can't afford it, walk away. Which was actually nice of them because I felt no pressure to sign or agree to the price. Infact, we got it haggled down some bit.but I appreciate the advice. Certainly has me wanting to check the price thing again.
not to be a dick but, at least I now know someone who paid more than me j/k lol

I feel you on the just have to have it feeling. I found dealers that sold them for 5k OTD but they didn't have any left and told me to just wait till they get the new models around October...I couldn't wait, I saw the blue one and I had to have it...and now I do
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #32
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

congrats on your future bike eric lucky sob:P if i had 6.5k id spend it on a ninjette x]

Old July 16th, 2011, 12:51 AM   #33
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Glad I can help jorge. Lol.

And thanks rus.

This thread has gone wayyy off topic lol

Old July 16th, 2011, 01:04 AM   #34
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Hey you cant go saying your geting your bike after all our struggles and not expect to go off topic XD even though ima a bike virgin for a while still :[[[