ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old August 16th, 2012, 03:43 AM   #1
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

Anyone experienced with pocketbikes?

Hey guys. So I'm looking at some gifts to buy my brother for Eid al Fitr (celebration at the end of Ramadan) and I thought that a pocket bike might be something he (lets be real, me as well ) would really like as a gift. He won't admit it outright, but he obviously wants a bike like his big brother :P. I'm thinking getting him something he can ride around the neighborhood/ at his friend's house that would be fun for him and his friends.

Now I understand there's going to be risk in him riding it and I plan on buying him the appropriate gear (ATGATT) and always keeping a watch on him while he rides. Even taking these precautions would this be appropriate gift for a kid?

He's 8 and taller than most kids his age.

Also what should I look for when buying a pocket bike used? Is it pretty much the same as a normal motorcycle? Any tips on where to buy new parts (tires, pegs, etc) for them?

I am considering buying this: http://killeen.craigslist.org/mcy/3171833161.html
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2012, 05:41 AM   #2
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Yes! I remember when i was in middle school and tried to get my parents to buy me one of these...unfortunately they never did though. But then again, they allowed me to buy a real bike, so I don't think they would've had a problem with the safety factor of a pocketbike.
azimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2012, 07:33 AM   #3
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

I would start him out with a gocart or something of that matter, just becuase I'm not sure if you know this but some of those pocket rockets can go as fast as 60 mph. Maybe start him out with a electric scooter then move up to a bike, or wait till he is atleast 10ish.
Posted via Mobile Device
7oxSin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #4
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimmer11 View Post
Yes! I remember when i was in middle school and tried to get my parents to buy me one of these...unfortunately they never did though. But then again, they allowed me to buy a real bike, so I don't think they would've had a problem with the safety factor of a pocketbike.
Yeah, kids love these kind of things. They started becoming popular here when I was in highschool, but I know I always wanted a dirt bike when I was a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oxSin View Post
I would start him out with a gocart or something of that matter, just becuase I'm not sure if you know this but some of those pocket rockets can go as fast as 60 mph. Maybe start him out with a electric scooter then move up to a bike, or wait till he is atleast 10ish.
Posted via Mobile Device
This one tops out at 30 mph, but I'll keep that in mind. I know I may be reaching a little bit with a pocket bike and it would be a lot safer with a gocart. Maybe if I find a good one that won't take up a lot of room I'll get him that.
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #5
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

I would have went crazy for a go cart or something like that at that age, I think he will be stoked at what ever you get him. But when I think of pocket bikes all I can think of is my neighbors son who was 12 losing control on our street and rolling himself under a car.

Also a gocar can be used on and off road.
Posted via Mobile Device
7oxSin is offline   Reply With Quote