Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old April 10th, 2019, 12:27 AM   #1
Tooch
ninjette.org member

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2015 zx10r, 2010 Ducati 848

Just an unexpected oops story

So late once night about 4 years ago, my roommate comes up to me and asks if I want to go for one last ride before putting the bikes up for the night. We parked them in the dining room, so it was a real PITA, when they were put away, they were in for the night.

So we go out for what I think is gonna be a quick ride. Back then (3 or 4 years ago) we were nuts, riding like crazy in shorts and t shirts, but always a helmet, which is what ended up saving my life that night.

Long story short, what was supposed to be a quick ride turned into a long night and months of recovery. I went down way faster than a little 250 can go, and God was looking out for me that night. After going down, I jumped up because I didn't want my buddy and his wife worrying about me, because that's the kind of person I am. If they weren't there, who knows how long I'd of laid there. I don't even really remember what happened other than washing the front end braking. High side, low side... no idea. My bike did hit water barrier in blocking a cement jersey barrier though. I curled up into a ball and rolled it out the best I could.

I waited for 3 days before I decided to finally go to MedExpress. The nurse told me I had the worst case of road rash she's ever seen, with staph infection setting into my knee. Luckily a heavy round of antibiotics knocked that out. I ended up with rash on both arms, both legs, my chest and my back, as well as a small crack in my wrist. I can honestly say the months of healing and recovery were the most pain I've ever felt in my life I don't think I'll ever really forget it.

After a couple weeks, my roommate started trying to lift my leg onto the peg of his bike so I could get out and get a ride in. After a wreck like that he was worried I'd get scared to get back on.

Long story short; you won't hear me preach ATGATT, but please wear a helmet. It saved my life, it could very well save yours.

Tooch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2019, 07:04 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Sorry you had to learn the lesson the hard way. It's good that you've healed.

I'm like you. Stoic to a fault. My wife is a nurse. So I'll borrow one of her lines....

"Get yer ass to the doctor. Sheesh."

She also has awesome bedside manner when it comes to me. "Quit bitching and take your damn pills."

So what do you wear now, besides the helmet?

The usual level-up is jacket, gloves and boots of some kind. Most just wear ordinary jeans, which are pretty much useless.

Has your approach to riding and decision making changed as a result of your experience?

If you were to encounter the exact same "let's just go for a quick ride" situation today, what would you do?

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2019, 09:31 PM   #3
Tooch
ninjette.org member

Jeans, gloves and a helmet are standard. I'll still ride in a t shirt, though. As far as the jeans, you're right. I faired pretty well, they barely had to scrub my wounds. I had the nurses laughing the entire time. I figured a happy nurse is a gentle nurse, and they were all amazing. The one nurse said she's had to actually scrub denim from wounds.

I'll never question walking away from that crash. When my roommate pulled up, he said he never expected to see me in one piece, let alone standing there.

As far as my riding, I admit I am a little more cautious. I thought an important part was getting right back on a bike. I think had I stayed off of one for an extended period, nerves may of gotten the best of me and my riding style could of been entirely different, effectively taking away the enjoyment. I still enjoy hitting the twisties, but my commutes are definitely toned dowm

Old April 10th, 2019, 11:32 PM   #4
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
3-days!!! Wow!!! You've must've been stuck to bedsheets in mornings!!!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2019, 10:44 PM   #5
Tooch
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
3-days!!! Wow!!! You've must've been stuck to bedsheets in mornings!!!
For weeks and weeks. It was awful. If I finally managed to fall asleep for more than 15 or 20 minutes at a time, I actually would be stuck. And let me tell you it was painful unsticking myself...

Old May 2nd, 2019, 02:07 PM   #6
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Yikes

Old May 15th, 2019, 12:33 PM   #7
Buzzerd
ninjette.org member

Name: Curtis

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

I am ATGATT. I owe it to my wife and daughter to protect myself as best I can.
Buzzerd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2019, 12:35 PM   #8
Tooch
ninjette.org member

I was dating a different girl at the time (who is strangely A WWE wrestler now lol). No kids. But to each their own.