ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 16th, 2017, 07:18 AM   #1
Crown_clown
ninjette.org member

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

Motor swap Prep

earlier this year i got my hands on a my first Ninja250 i have decided to do a motor swap. i found a 2012 motor with ~8k on it. I am looking for advice and procedure on replacing motor. i've done many motor swaps on cars but never on a bike. i assume its similar. but i have no idea what other parts should be replaced at this junction. so i humbly accept all advice. im very patient and would like to do this right the first time. thanks in advance
Crown_clown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2017, 08:58 AM   #2
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown_clown View Post
earlier this year i got my hands on a my first Ninja250 i have decided to do a motor swap. i found a 2012 motor with ~8k on it. I am looking for advice and procedure on replacing motor. i've done many motor swaps on cars but never on a bike. i assume its similar. but i have no idea what other parts should be replaced at this junction. so i humbly accept all advice. im very patient and would like to do this right the first time. thanks in advance
This may be a great time to adjust the valves on the new engine before you install it. No space limitations. With 8,000 miles on the new engine you shouldn't have much, if anything, to replace.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2017, 09:07 AM   #3
Crown_clown
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
This may be a great time to adjust the valves on the new engine before you install it. No space limitations. With 8,000 miles on the new engine you shouldn't have much, if anything, to replace.

Bill
should i replace chain, sproket, any of those things?

Old June 16th, 2017, 09:25 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
B,

Here are the basics, as I am sure you know most of these. Having swapped engines on both bikes and cars the "prep" is just about the same really.

RULE #1 I have learned over the years to not even start at job such as this without having all my parts and needed items on hand. Nothing is worse than having to stop and wait on a part for a week. :\

Make a list of maintenance items that you should do while you have very, very easy access. While I am not a fan of changing too many things at the same time, you are going for an engine swap... so that pet peeve is thrown out the window with such a job. Your list should include;

A top to bottom visual inspection of new engine (cleaning it is a very good way of inspecting it at the same time)
Ensure turning of crank and compression of new engine
Drain new engine of all fluids
Inspect spark plugs of new engine (if present)
Remove items from new engine that will not be needed as exiting parts will be used
Fully inspect starter and solenoid for cleanliness (if present)
Remove and clean cct
Check value clearances and adjust

Have all your new parts on hand..
Plugs
All fluids
RTV
Zip Ties
ect...

When you start pulling the bike apart, be organized and keep track of what bolt goes to what parts, possibly even near OCD status . Many are the same or interchangeable. A word to the wise from an ex car guy, when you have bolts left over.... cool whatever, its a car and your still relatively safe in the case of engine failure. This is NOT the case with bikes. Extra parts or bolts is not a good thing. Trust me, keep track of every bolt, where it goes and if applicable... why you are NOT putting it back in place.

As far as other parts like chains, sprockets and such. Nah... leave those for another day and focus on the engine. Changing brake pads or a rear sprocket will have little reference if the bike does not run.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 16th, 2017, 12:40 PM   #5
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Isn't the 2008 engine the same as a 2012 engine?
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2017, 01:34 PM   #6
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
Isn't the 2008 engine the same as a 2012 engine?
Don't know but it's sure gotta be different than that $55,000.00 ABS hog they are hustling now.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2017, 06:21 AM   #7
Crown_clown
ninjette.org member

thanks a million for the guidence and sorry for late response. i am just getting to the swap and reading the replies in the forum. are there any seals or gaskets to replace for exhaust or is RTV a valid sub

Old September 2nd, 2017, 07:31 AM   #8
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown_clown View Post
thanks a million for the guidence and sorry for late response. i am just getting to the swap and reading the replies in the forum. are there any seals or gaskets to replace for exhaust or is RTV a valid sub
I just used Permatex High Tack gasket sealer this past spring on the original exhaust manifold gaskets. It's worked on my Ninja and other bikes I've owned.

Bill