ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Old July 23rd, 2013, 11:11 PM   #1
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Name: Adi

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Street Triple R

300 Slipping out of 2nd and into neutral

Have any of you folks encountered this issue with your 300?

This typically happens when I'm accelerating hard, shift to second and ease off the gas. As soon as I start easing off the throttle in 2nd gear, I feel the gear slipping (I lose power) and I'm suddenly in neutral.

Is this common during the break-in period?

I'm not exactly babying the bike, lots of hills and curves that I refuse to ease up on (Got to get comfortable in the curves if I want to step up to the track in the future).

Old July 23rd, 2013, 11:58 PM   #2
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Most definitely not normal and never happens on my bike. Could you somehow only be 'partially' in gear and maybe riding the clutch? Not good for the bike if the gears are slipping like that.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #3
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
Most definitely not normal and never happens on my bike. Could you somehow only be 'partially' in gear and maybe riding the clutch? Not good for the bike if the gears are slipping like that.
That might be a possibility. I usually cover the clutch and given the easy pull I may be riding it. I wonder if this is actually me, not kicking up all the way to 2nd...

Old July 24th, 2013, 12:31 AM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Shift harder. Like really kick that ****er, kick it in the nuts, straight into 2nd gear.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 24th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #5
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacron View Post
That might be a possibility. I usually cover the clutch and given the easy pull I may be riding it. I wonder if this is actually me, not kicking up all the way to 2nd...
Try lowering your shift leaver down some so it takes less movement of your foot to shift up

Old July 24th, 2013, 01:39 AM   #6
JELY1990
Boring is my middle name.

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

Like Jiggles said, kick up harder. You can also try putting pressure on the shift lever before pulling the clutch in. Also, since 300's have a friction zone pretty far out, you might accidentally be causing slipping by covering the lever.
JELY1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #7
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Name: JJ

Motorcycle(s): 2018 Ninja 400 Race Bike (in progress...)

Mine was back-shifting out of 4th and 5th gear at full-throttle high-rpm at the track last week. I run a quick-shifter on it, and it was going into the gear cleanly but then popping back down to the lower gear after a second or two. I just installed the FactoryPro shift detent kit in it and will try it again at the track this weekend to see if that solves the problem.
sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #8
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter View Post
Mine was back-shifting out of 4th and 5th gear at full-throttle high-rpm at the track last week. I run a quick-shifter on it, and it was going into the gear cleanly but then popping back down to the lower gear after a second or two. I just installed the FactoryPro shift detent kit in it and will try it again at the track this weekend to see if that solves the problem.
Good to know, keep us posted on this.

Old July 24th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacron View Post
.........during the break-in period?........... I'm not exactly babying the bike.........
This may be part of the problem.
Nothing wrong with being smooth and nice with a baby machine;........ it will return to you as reliability and precise controls later on.

Rather than using damaging hard or pre-loading shifting, take your time on moving the selector lever all the way until your foot feels a solid top.
Assertive and ample clutch-in doesn't hurt either.

I second the shifter adjustment to your ergonomics.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
harder is incorrect. being abusive on the shifter will result in ****ed up shift drum arms. (these are different from the shift forks) but anyway, the problem is that you are not releasing the hold on the engine for long enough. that means that you are not snapping the throttle closed fast enough, or not leaving it closed for long enough, or using the clutch and not pushing the lever down all the way before reapplying power.

once you shift, hold the shift level down (or up... which ever direction you shifted) for a few seconds past the shift. if you let it up too quickly it can fall out, or if you let it up when you are going to fast with your throttle close/clutching you can only engage the gear partially and it will slip out next time the gears aren't pressing against each other (let off throttle)

note, don't hold the shift lever away from center position too long, just a second or two. count "one-one thousand, two-one thousand" there is a little spring in there that loses tension over time by moving the shift lever (this is what returns it to the center position) and i actually just lost that spring the other day because it lost enough tension to the point that the spring came off the arm.

Old July 24th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #11
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
the problem is that you are not releasing the hold on the engine for long enough. that means that you are not snapping the throttle closed fast enough, or not leaving it closed for long enough, or using the clutch and not pushing the lever down all the way before reapplying power.
I think you've hit it... I'm pretty sure my mechanics for quickly shifting up/down isn't good enough (or doesn't match the 300 well). I think I'm trying to force myself to be faster with shifts rather than smoother. I'll keep this in mind and build that muscle memory before trying shift quicker.

This aside, the bike's been a blast and I'm absolutely addicted to riding.

Old July 24th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #12
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I had it happen once, scared the crap out of me. Put it back in gear and never had it happen again. Dunno the cause, or the solution... Was a one and done situation

Old July 25th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #13
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Today was much better. I was paying attention to how quickly I was letting the clutch and how much throttle I was giving. Turns out it was a combination of letting the clutch out too quickly and too much throttle.

Practiced smooth clutch releases and the ride was really good.

Old July 25th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #14
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the 300 was a dream to shift with compared to the 250. clutchless was effortless and smoother than clutched upshifts i thought. i tried as hard as i could to lock up the rear wheel with engine brake alone and couldn't get more than a chirp out of it with the slipper.. really smooth let go on the slipper too, nothing abrupt at all. i was very pleasantly surprised. if you feel spicy, try not using the clutch when upshifting. its easiest when done from WOT. be safe.

Old August 23rd, 2013, 01:11 PM   #15
tuan3742
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 13' zx-6r 636

this has actually happened to me once. but i think it was more rider error rather than the bike. was riding hard and i think i didn't fully upshift.

Old August 23rd, 2013, 01:14 PM   #16
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuan3742 View Post
this has actually happened to me once. but i think it was more rider error rather than the bike. was riding hard and i think i didn't fully upshift.
Yeah, I agree. I was still in my fantastic, super noob phase. I've since gotten the shift lever adjusted (pulled it down a bit to decrease foot travel) and I haven't had issues with not fully upshifting.

Gotten over the positive neutral finder too...
anacron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2013, 06:42 AM   #17
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I got mine to do it a second time... Def rider error!!! I know what I did wrong each time, never had it happen anywhere but second. Good job sorting yours out

Old September 14th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #18
Sargent
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 300

I've actually had this issue on my 300. I was kicking the shifter at the same time that I was releasing the clutch. My hands were moving a bit faster than my foot apparently. Started holding the clutch a half second longer and haven't had the issue again.
Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #19
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2013 300 Ninja

Quote:
I have the exact same issue identically to you and I have also ordered the Factory Pro shift kit. Some might have been rider error but some definitely were not. No quick shifter here I might add. I hope this shift detent kit resolves most of this.
Surferboy120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2013, 08:35 AM   #20
sprinter
ninjette.org member

The shift detent kit did firm up the shifts, but I still get that backshifting problem occasionally. I've narrowed it down to occurring pretty much only on the first couple of laps when the engine is colder, after that it never seems to happen. Also, with the quick-shifter I have to be very sure not to let my foot come anywhere close to the lever in between shifts or I can accidentally bump it and cause the issue that way.

Old October 1st, 2013, 08:38 AM   #21
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2013 300 Ninja

Quote:
The shift detent kit did firm up the shifts, but I still get that backshifting problem occasionally. I've narrowed it down to occurring pretty much only on the first couple of laps when the engine is colder, after that it never seems to happen. Also, with the quick-shifter I have to be very sure not to let my foot come anywhere close to the lever in between shifts or I can accidentally bump it and cause the issue that way.
Very good information thank you
Surferboy120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2015, 08:28 PM   #22
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Anyone had issues with being in 3rd gear and slipping back in neutral?

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old April 24th, 2015, 01:33 PM   #23
Sirena
ninjette.org member

Name: CJ

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, GSXR 600, CBR 500

Question

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferboy120 View Post
I have the exact same issue identically to you and I have also ordered the Factory Pro shift kit. Some might have been rider error but some definitely were not. No quick shifter here I might add. I hope this shift detent kit resolves most of this.
I just raced the 300 for the first time this weekend and was having a LOT of trouble up-shifting while under hard acceleration. Not sure what percentage of this is rider error
So I'm reviving this thread - hoping to hear more from you guys! If it's mostly me, then I don't want to prioritize spending on these parts...
Any updates?

Old April 24th, 2015, 04:10 PM   #24
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Not completely unheard of... sounds like to me the ninja 300 gear box is garbage or something... I've had it slip a few times on me... My old ninja 250's did it too actually. I heard kawi had clunky gearboxes..

Old April 25th, 2015, 08:30 AM   #25
GregS
ninjette.org member

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, GSXR-750, Ducati M1100

Mine tends to do pop out of gear when decelerating under engine braking, very disconcerting when you're tipping into the corner!
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2015, 09:29 AM   #26
APEmike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300

Seems like I need to talk the boss into undercutting a 300 trans up and down to see if it helps...
APEmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2015, 10:19 AM   #27
GregS
ninjette.org member

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, GSXR-750, Ducati M1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by APEmike View Post
Seems like I need to talk the boss into undercutting a 300 trans up and down to see if it helps...
Would be nice to see the results of that
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2015, 09:08 AM   #28
APEmike
ninjette.org member

Yes it would be. Might help the transmissions live longer as well. It does with the Hayabusa powered cars and drag bikes that we normally do it for.

Old September 16th, 2015, 10:53 AM   #29
bad vibe
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 SE ABS

mmm love when i dont kick it hard enuff
bad vibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2015, 11:44 AM   #30
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Since this thread is still alive, I guess I'll provide an update here. The FactoryPro shift detent kit did nothing to help this problem, and it continued all through the 2014 season and was still doing it this year. I found that it was more prevalent when the engine was cold, but that was not true all of the time. It finally gave up the ghost at Road America when I was up there for the race wekeend July 4th, at that point it would literally not go into 5th gear any longer so I had to retire from the race weekend. It actually backshifted on it's own from 5th to 4th when I was in the middle of the carousel, and just about blew me off the track, I parked it after that session and called it quits. Haven't torn it apart yet to see what things look like, but we have quite a few guys running in our Ninja 300 Spec race series and virtually everyone is having problems with the transmission not staying in the higher gears during hard acceleration. It's not rider error, it's something mechanical, just not sure exactly what yet since I haven't torn mine apart. I'll update once we have it torn down. I suspect there are dogs rounded off, but it could be some other kind of problem with the shift drum or detent.

Old September 16th, 2015, 11:49 AM   #31
bad vibe
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 SE ABS

damn, glad I top out at about 75mph, probably just doesn't like that I'm over 200lbs
bad vibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2015, 03:10 PM   #32
APEmike
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Since this thread is still alive, I guess I'll provide an update here. The FactoryPro shift detent kit did nothing to help this problem, and it continued all through the 2014 season and was still doing it this year. I found that it was more prevalent when the engine was cold, but that was not true all of the time. It finally gave up the ghost at Road America when I was up there for the race wekeend July 4th, at that point it would literally not go into 5th gear any longer so I had to retire from the race weekend. It actually backshifted on it's own from 5th to 4th when I was in the middle of the carousel, and just about blew me off the track, I parked it after that session and called it quits. Haven't torn it apart yet to see what things look like, but we have quite a few guys running in our Ninja 300 Spec race series and virtually everyone is having problems with the transmission not staying in the higher gears during hard acceleration. It's not rider error, it's something mechanical, just not sure exactly what yet since I haven't torn mine apart. I'll update once we have it torn down. I suspect there are dogs rounded off, but it could be some other kind of problem with the shift drum or detent.
The factory transmission is not undercut at ALL, thats why its happening. Its not so big of an issue on the 250 due to the lower power output but the 300s need it. Aftermarket undercutting will fix this. Ill have pics soon of before and after on a 300 trans my shop is doing.

Old September 19th, 2015, 05:56 AM   #33
Linkin
Down Under

Name: Linkin

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki ZXR250C Ninja

Hold the shift lever up with your foot and let it go ONLY after you've fully released the clutch.

Guarantee you it won't drop out of gear anymore.
Linkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2015, 12:56 PM   #34
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
never had the issue with mine. I do still have a factory warranty and I am renewing it for another 2 years because of the bugs I read about.
that being said my bike is within the first 1100 made.

Old September 19th, 2015, 01:13 PM   #35
xXecuterXx2
ChocolateMilk Addict

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): '05 EX-250 "Kallie" 85 KLT 110 ATC "Murdock"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkin View Post
Hold the shift lever up with your foot and let it go ONLY after you've fully released the clutch.

Guarantee you it won't drop out of gear anymore.
^^^ I agree, seen that advice many times, must be worth it.
xXecuterXx2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2015, 02:37 PM   #36
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Pre-loading the shift lever with your foot just before you pull in the clutch also helps assure a crisp shift. (It's a habit for riders of BMWs with older Getrag transmissions).
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2016, 02:57 PM   #37
1wardogusmc
ninjette.org member

Name: Joel/Angela

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250/ZX-10R, 2014 300

What kind of oil are you using and how many miles since last change?
1wardogusmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2016, 09:08 AM   #38
TP Ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 300 Ninja

Bent shift fork from too many wheelies. Engine tear down.
TP Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2016, 09:36 AM   #39
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wardogusmc View Post
What kind of oil are you using and how many miles since last change?
OP July 24th, 2013, 02:11 AM

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote