ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old December 5th, 2017, 08:10 AM   #1
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Waze motorcycle mode

No HOV or lane splitting on my commute but how about you folks that do. Does it make a difference or is it just a gimmick?

https://www.pcmag.com/news/357632/wa...l-lane-support

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2017, 11:47 AM   #2
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Will make a difference for me (if it really works). We have HOT lanes here. That's High Occupancy Toll. Motorcycles ride for free. WAZ never seemed to route me on the lanes during car pool times. So I never knew if they were the fastest. Also I have the option of taking the shortest route west on a HOT/HOV lane (27 miles) or a longer route (46 miles) down another HOT lane to some side roads with very little traffic on them. In the past without using Waze and just picking my poison commute times were about the same at just under an hour either way.

I'll probably ride into work tomorrow and use Waze to see how it works.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2017, 01:14 PM   #3
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Interesting... I'll pull it up and see what it does. For me, there's really no alternate routes possible, 80 to Bay Bridge and across it to S.F. I always use the HOV/carpool lane anyway and if that slows down, I'll split. On really bad days, I'll be splitting entire 35-mile commute to S.F. Takes me 45-minutes instead of 2-hrs by car... on exact same road at exactly same time-frame.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #4
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

One of my friends who goes to Vegas several times a month swears by Waze. Says it saves him tonnes of time as sometimes it directs him off hwy-5 onto hwy-99 to bypass clogs. Usually caused by idiots who slow down their cruising speed of +75mph to 61mph to pass truck going 60mph!

Old December 5th, 2017, 11:04 PM   #5
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

Waze may be good for traffic conditions, congestion, construction etc, but the times I've used it for navigation it sucked. "Your destination is on the right", just as I go past the entrance driveway..... Took it of my phone.
Kevin1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2017, 07:36 AM   #6
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1956 View Post
Waze may be good for traffic conditions, congestion, construction etc, but the times I've used it for navigation it sucked. "Your destination is on the right", just as I go past the entrance driveway..... Took it of my phone.
I use Waze for navigation quite a bit. It is generally pretty good. I've had a problem 3 or 4 times where the "map pin" for the address is placed in the center of a large property (every time has been at least 100 acres) and Waze tries to take me to the nearest road to that point, not the entrance to the property. One time Waze took me onto the interstate that ran along a property and said "you have arrived at your destination" No, I'm on the damn interstate going 70 MPH and there is no exit here, I can't just stop and hop the fence. Another time was trying to get to a "Pick A Part" junk yard, it took me around a side street to the back fence. Umm no I don't want the midnight auto supply.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 6th, 2017, 07:43 AM   #7
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
In Waze I trust, but when I am going somewhere new I check out the destination with google street view.

Old December 6th, 2017, 08:30 AM   #8
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
It always cracks me up when people take nav technology too literally. It's a supplement to your freakin' brain, not a replacement for it.

Waze (and all other nav programs I've experienced) tells you well in advance that your destination is coming up. Do you really need your hand held all the way to the front door?

Similarly, common sense should tell you that the entrance to a business isn't down a back alley.

Navigating to my local rail station, Waze tries to take me to the wrong side of the tracks. Sure it's the station (Waze is right) but it doesn't know where I need to be. So -- duh -- I just ignore the directions when I'm a block away and drive to where I need to be. Simple observation tells me that I need to cross over.

For me, Waze is the killer app and justifies owning a smart phone all by itself, for the traffic routing and police warnings. I prefer alternate interfaces, though; I don't like having to parse a map view while also riding/driving. On the bike, when I actually need to navigate somewhere (rare), I use CoPilot's "safety view" and have Waze running in the background for police and hazard alerts.

Re "motorcycle mode," if I read the description correctly there's a crowdsourcing element to it. Routing is based on routes that other motorcyclists take. That suggests a tweak to the algorithm. It also suggests that out of the box, there won't be much difference because the data isn't there yet.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2017, 10:19 AM   #9
DannoXYZ

Yeah, the step-by-step view is very useful! Tells you just what you need to do next, but not overwhelm with TMI.

Old December 6th, 2017, 11:32 AM   #10
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
It always cracks me up when people take nav technology too literally. It's a supplement to your freakin' brain, not a replacement for it.

Waze (and all other nav programs I've experienced) tells you well in advance that your destination is coming up. Do you really need your hand held all the way to the front door?

Similarly, common sense should tell you that the entrance to a business isn't down a back alley.

Navigating to my local rail station, Waze tries to take me to the wrong side of the tracks. Sure it's the station (Waze is right) but it doesn't know where I need to be. So -- duh -- I just ignore the directions when I'm a block away and drive to where I need to be. Simple observation tells me that I need to cross over.

For me, Waze is the killer app and justifies owning a smart phone all by itself, for the traffic routing and police warnings. I prefer alternate interfaces, though; I don't like having to parse a map view while also riding/driving. On the bike, when I actually need to navigate somewhere (rare), I use CoPilot's "safety view" and have Waze running in the background for police and hazard alerts.

Re "motorcycle mode," if I read the description correctly there's a crowdsourcing element to it. Routing is based on routes that other motorcyclists take. That suggests a tweak to the algorithm. It also suggests that out of the box, there won't be much difference because the data isn't there yet.
The thing about Waze compare to other direction giving devices is that you or anyone one else can edit the maps. So if Waze is sending you to the wrong side of the tracks, you can report that by simply pressing a couple buttons, or you can fix it yourself by logging into their web site. Both of the errors I listed above have been corrected in Waze and future people won't have the problem.

I too like Waze for the traffic and police reports.

So far this morning the motorcycle mode routed me onto the HOT/HOV lanes properly. I'll see how the ride home goes, in the past it would not route me onto them.

Old December 6th, 2017, 11:38 PM   #11
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Yeah. In the car, I use the GPS to let me know when my street is coming up but I already know what route I'm taking most of the time.

Interesting that they added a motorcycle mode. It will be interesting to see how it works out. I don't use the phone on my bike at all, but it will probably help others.

As far as splitting during traffic? Oh, yeah. Definitely helpful.

CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2017, 10:52 AM   #12
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
The more I think about it, the motorcycle mode makes sense for Waze to keep from contaminating their data.

Think about it, cars sitting in LA traffic reporting a standstill while bikes lane split at 30+ MPH. What is the Waze brain supposed to think? is it a traffic jam or are cars moving. And prior to motorcycle mode, there wasn't any way to differentiate that you could go on HOV lanes, if they have them in your area.

Old December 7th, 2017, 10:58 AM   #13
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
The more I think about it, the motorcycle mode makes sense for Waze to keep from contaminating their data.

Think about it, cars sitting in LA traffic reporting a standstill while bikes lane split at 30+ MPH. What is the Waze brain supposed to think? is it a traffic jam or are cars moving. And prior to motorcycle mode, there wasn't any way to differentiate that you could go on HOV lanes, if they have them in your area.
exactly