ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 10th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #1
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Plates and Photos

I may be over reacting and that is still fine with me because I feel safer is better than sorry.

It has been brought to my attention on other forums that while sharing pictures is great there is also a danger to it. Especially if you leave your plates visable! Plates have information that leads back to you. Not everyone has the software/programs/access to get the information freely but it is out there. (Think: Private investigators have it so could Joe Smoe)

I am not saying that anyone on Ninjette will harm your bike or you but this is a public forum and guests can view your photos just as easily. My suggestion is to black/white/smuge/block them out.

If you do not know how I would be more than happy to show you/tell you/ do it for you.

With so many editing programs out there it is not hard to make circles or boxes over your plate numbers and fill with a color. Photobucket even lets you upload to their site and edit it online.

You can do funny things with it too like this:

This is a whole lot better than putting your plates up. Please protect you and your bike, plaster your plates!

Old February 10th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Couple thoughts on this.

First, better safe than sorry. If it concerns you, sure, blank the plate. But I think the concern has been overblown, and I stopped blanking my plates years ago. After the Rebecca Shaffer stalking murder a number of years back in California, quite a few laws and procedures were changed. And the upshot is that it became more challenging than one might assume to get any usable information from a license plate alone (in California, at least). Sure, a LEO can run it, but not without it being logged for further audit. It costs PI's quite a bit of money now to get address info from a plate, it's no longer cheap and easy. Go to any of those sites that purport to get you info from a plate and actually try and do it for a Cali plate (I have), you won't get any info.

And I also never understood why it was such a bad thing to show a plate to random strangers on the internet, who are most likely nowhere near the same local geography, yet we don't cover them when we park in mall parking lots. Or when traveling the freeway. When thousands of strangers (and potential "bad folks") not only see our plate and can do whatever they want with it, but they now have an absolute location on not only where the car/bike is, but also where we are at that point. Seems like if this were a valid concern, we should be finding ways to blank out our plates at all times. Or certainly more times than just when a picture of a plate is posted on the net.

Finally, someone seeing a plate online is just not going to be the determining factor on whether someone can successfully e-stalk you or not. Maybe at one time it would have been, but I have my doubts even then. In these days of melissadata and zabasearch, if someone endeavours to find crap out about you, them having a plate number or not just isn't going to matter. Try those sites out, see what people can find out about you for free in seconds, using only your name. Or even just part of your name. That's where I think it would be nice to be named something like John Smith. Anonymity through similarity. Those of us with more unique names pop up awfully easily on those types of searches.

So I don't go to the trouble of blanking my plates any more, it's just not a worthwhile use of my time. IMO.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #3
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

I can see exactly what you are saying, but at the same time, you are riding your bike out in public, where anyone could write down your plate numbers and track them that way. Sure it opens it up to a more diverse audience on forums but if someone is going to track you down there isn't much to stop them.

Thoughts?

Alex posted right as I was writing my reply...
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
Alex posted right as I was writing my reply...
Sorry about that.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old February 10th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #5
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

You snooze, you loose right? lol
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #6
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

i think the biggest problem with it is internet stalkers. i'd assume the easiest piece of info to obtain from your plates is your registered address. i can see how that could become dangerous when a crazy stalker gets their hands on it... or a thief.

i'm sure theres easier ways to get your address though.

Old February 10th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #7
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

I do see your point Alex. My plates are out there while I am out in public but with as many forums and the like that I am on you never really know who is in your backyard and who isn't. It might cost more it might be more of a hassle but it is one way to find yourself in an unfriendly situation.

There are always going to be unlikely situations that come up. This was just one thing that was brought to my attention that I thought I would share. I know I feel safer not having my Plates out there for all the world to see. :: shrug ::

Old February 10th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #8
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

I always thought it was to protect against self-incrimination... where people post their plates and a week later post about popping wheelies on the freeway etc. Then again, it's pretty darn hard to pop a wheelie with the ninjette
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #9
Guinss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Simen

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R (Black)

I have to agree with Sunny. I always blank out my license plate, when i post pictures online. You cant protect your plate when your out driving or have parked, but why not do it online?
Good thing you brought this up, and i must say i advice everyone to do this.

My biggest concern are thieves, its wellknown that they look for bikes at forums/sales ads.

In Norway, its possible to send a sms with plate nr. and get the name of the registered owner of the vehicle. And then its easy to find the adress. Plain stupidity. It should be locked down, only viewable for police etc.
Guinss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinss View Post
In Norway, its possible to send a sms with plate nr. and get the name of the registered owner of the vehicle. And then its easy to find the adress.
If this is truly the case, I'd work to change the laws in Norway. Don't you have a local congressperson or similar to bring up this concern to?

Old February 10th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #11
Guinss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Simen

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R (Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
If this is truly the case, I'd work to change the laws in Norway. Don't you have a local congressperson or similar to bring up this concern to?
its truly like that. its stupid. i cant do anything about it as far as i know i try to cover my license plate as often as i can. on this forum though, theres not much risk, cus 99% are from the US and you all got your own 250R
Guinss is offline   Reply With Quote