Notices

Old November 23rd, 2015, 02:43 PM   #1
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Pre-Turkey Day storm 11/21/15

Rumor has it a big big storm is supposed to roll in this week, though the weekend before was clear and calm. So decided to put my bike back together (finally) and dump in some new oil to go out and take advantage of it. A friend on FB, S, mentioned he was around too and we made the plan to go riding on Saturday.

Bundled up all nice and poofy for the ride into Reno were we met at Squeeze In for breakfast. Interesting joint, though my main association with it is the place that reported one of the more interesting geocaches in Reno. Fun story and made for a lot of laughs back in the day. Anyway, we sat and had a long breakfast, talking riding and tech and generally hanging out. I was feeling psyched that I could at least keep up with the various travels S has been on.

The plan today was head north towards Quincy and pick one of three roads that head over the Sierra to Oroville before returning home. Which one would be determined as we got closer. S led the way on his Tenere, cruising through the back roads of the Truckee Meadows, and eventually winding our way north through Red Rock Canyon. I love this side of Reno, large houses set back off the road on massive properties surrounded by white fences and horses grazing on the grass. Very picturesque.

Red Rock Road is always interesting to me. Bonus it is the route to the Animal Ark that I love visiting and seeing the animals under their care. Downer is it is also the road where I had my first and only on street accident that totaled my then six-month old 1999 Ninja 250. Passing the corner always brings back the memories, though thankfully no longer the hesitation of doubt. It's just another corner.

We passed by the houses and entered in the twistier section of road. S is a better rider on a bigger bike, whenever I end up tailing him I always play a game of "Keep up" and seeing if I can learn to be a better rider myself. This is why I like small group rides, 2 or 3 friends enjoying the pavement. Soon we crossed the border to California and turned south on 395 back to Hallelujah Junction and Hwy 70.

More farms and ranches as we cut across Northern California. The weather was calm, light wispy clouds beginning to move in, and temps were cool bordering on cold. The Sierra in the distance has a layer of snow on the ridges and the pine trees along the road were sheltering a few deciduous trees that had managed to hold onto their yellow leaves. S pointed out a few deer herds off in the fields, the funniest ones were out on a golf course enjoying the green grass. We spotted what looked like a controlled burn across the valley and I just watched as the smoke hung right above the ravine, giving the mountain a hazy appearance.

As we dropped down towards Quincy, the road ran along the north side of the mountain. Snow melt coated the road and we both slowed in the shady sections, watching for patches of black ice. A quick fill up (note to self, replace gas cards in pocket - all I had was Chevron to which S commented that I had to pick the most expensive place in town) and we turned back to try La Porte Rd, since we thought Bucks Lake Rd would be too high. The La Porte Rd was clear through the valley, though it had patches of dirt coating the road coming from run off. S passed me as I was going too slow through here.

I'm running my Pilot Streets to the bone and on dry clear pavement I haven't noticed any traction issues. Even in wet, the tire worked fine enough for me. But now I had a light coat of dirt on top of the wet and OMG my tire was all over the place! As the patches of snow and slush began increasing, my tire got really squirrelly and I dropped way back. The road makes a sharp hairpin turn as it transitions from canyon bottom to mountain road and I saw S hit the brakes and stop in the middle of the road. He made a tight U-turn as I pulled up beside him. I was already shaking my head "Nope!" when he shouted "That's solid ice right there!"

Back to Hwy 70, we turned south to return towards Truckee. I sort of know this area, but not entirely familiar with it, so when we suddenly pulled off onto a frontage road I was confused and slightly lost. Short little road that winds and bucks through a small forest made for a grin inducing short cut back to Hwy 89. Later we again turned off the highway to take the road over to Gold Lake.

This road had even more slush and snow patches in the road and we proceeded carefully along, taking different lines across either lane of the road to make it through safely. A few other trucks were up here cutting Christmas trees, and we got to watch as one tree jumped off the cab of a truck and fall right into the road. S found a cool scenic spot were we both got pictures, then he took off while I fumbled with my gear. A smooth ride down the mountain towards Hwy 49 and back onto the route to Truckee.

I had no hurry to get home, so S led us up over to Tahoe and Incline Village before turning and heading over Mt Rose Highway. No snow on the road here and surprisingly little traffic. As the pavement was clear and dry, I had no trouble keeping up and we made easy time down the mountain. I waved farewell in Galena and took I-580 south towards Carson where my dad was waiting with a yummy spaghetti dinner.

Okay, Winter, now you can show up!

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

Old November 24th, 2015, 12:52 PM   #2
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

Look like a good time was had.

But seriously, I'm getting cold just looking at the photos. I'm guessing the heated gear was getting a workout.
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2015, 01:01 PM   #3
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Yep, jacket was on high and socks were on medium-low.

Course the jacket gets turned on at anything below 60 so the socks are a better gauge for how cold I got.

Old November 26th, 2015, 10:33 AM   #4
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Brrrr!!! Thanks for a great report!

Old November 9th, 2016, 03:33 PM   #5
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Wow - where's the video for this one? Weird.

Link to original page on YouTube.

(I am going back through my ride reports for a reason - trying to set up a blog for all of these...)