Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Notices

Old December 27th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #1
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

RANTING !!! Stupid technology today

Anyone else have days they just wish a giant solar flare would send a giant magnetic wave through earth getting rid of tech....

ok maybe I should explain my day before I sound like a nutcase.

Wake up, brush teeth take shower blah blah
log onto - personal computer
ok time to get some work done...
all done with work stuff by noon. wife heads to work
lets play some games with son..
fail try again...
have a melt down because kinect hates 3 ft tall kids. . .
take a break to make lunch...

I hate this entire process. I just wish we could turn it off. I can't be the only one that is sick of the 5million passwords and endless repetative log ons and such...
*sigh* is it to early for a drink.. . .

/endRant
Liquidtoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Have google remember your password

AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #3
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Instead of 5 million passwords, how about just one or two? How about checking the box that says "remember this computer" and having chrome save your names and passwords? All this technology is designed to make your life easier. If you can't make it work for you, you're just doing it wrong.

Old December 27th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #4
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

Yeah honestly I know it's not "safe" but I tend to only use a few passwords. And those passwords only vary a few characters. I don't think I've ever forgotten a password.

Old December 27th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #5
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

I know all my passwords its the constant need for verifying my identity, and to have to do it for video games is ridiculous. I understand work needing it and even email, but video games seriously? for what, and xbox takes it to an extreme, facial id come on, but then you need a live account and a uplay account and a ... sigh I wanted to play a game to relax but now I want to violate a video game designer with a keyboard. . .oh atari I miss you. . .

Old December 27th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #6
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
My ps3 logs in automatically
AFM #676

Old December 27th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #7
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

yeah ours does too, but we have separate accounts for me, wife, and our son. A lot of games wont let you start multiple new chars of the game unless they are on different accounts. So if you want to let someone else play your game they can a. continue from your save b. erase your save and start new or c. create a personal account.
the ps3 isnt as bad as xbox about it but with xbox and kinect it adds facial recognition to your account so then its a nightmare with kids. my son loves it but he gets stuck alot, hes almost 5, so trying to help him it goes haywire. when i walk over to him it tries to add me as second player then it looses him cause hes short, then then i have to hide behind him, let him re-log in, then it makes hima guest cause its dont understand fat me kneeling behind him. so a 10sec i'll help you turns into a 20min dance in the middle of the room.

I much rather gaming on my PC, but I hate the way they work anymore i.e. steam, uplay, sonys soe, microsoft live account, ect. I paid for the game just let me play it.

I understand the need for it in some cases and that it is all a way to annoy pirates from hacking the games, but some days its just too much.

Old December 27th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #8
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Sounds like a personal problem
AFM #676

Old December 27th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #9
bbonds007
The Bonds

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 06 Yellow Ninja

Can't have your cake and eat it too. You want atari simplicity, yet you could simply give up PSN, Steam, Kinect, etc... but you don't. How in the world you expect to have the complexity of online networking without online verification in the form of a simple user name/password is beyond me.

You basically want all this amazing stuff to happen (online gaming, online shopping, multiple user accounts, motion controls, social networking) but want it to be as easy as using a freaking Atari? An atari that could barely render more than 8 different types of pixels at any time?! That is like blaming a Ninja 250 for requiring so much more maintenance than a bicycle.
bbonds007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2012, 11:55 PM   #10
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbonds007 View Post
Can't have your cake and eat it too.
This isn't North Korea, I'll eat my ****ing cake and tell Kim Jong Fat to eat a dick.
AFM #676

Old December 28th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #11
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

Try the Lastpass extension, it generates random strings for passwords using a list of predefined user criteria. You also have the option to set in an autologin feature so you never have to type in your passwords again or press any dreaded "login" buttons. It works for everything that I've had so far and the secure passwords are nice.

In addition set up your browser to automatically open up all of your required pages so you don't even have to type in the URL's and/or set up your computer to open up your email accounts and stuff automatically when the computer is turned on. Seems to me like that will solve 90% of your technological problems.

As far as the xbox is concerned, I can't help ya there. I haven't touched mine since summer, I require very LONG periods to allow myself to get through my severe gaming addictions lol... So I don't really touch it outside of summer when I get a break from class

Old December 28th, 2012, 07:06 AM   #12
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): BLACK!!! '08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidtoon View Post
. . .oh atari I miss you. . .
Amen to that!!!!
Old Guy on a '08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2012, 07:11 AM   #13
Old Guy on a '08
Chris

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): BLACK!!! '08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattcatt View Post
So I don't really touch it outside of summer when I get a break from class
Stick with it!!! Get a GREAT JOB... stick all the money in a killer investment... become super rich ... Retire at 30 and be on permenent summer break!
Old Guy on a '08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #14
Scattcatt
ninjette.org sage

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2003 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guy on a '08 View Post
Stick with it!!! Get a GREAT JOB... stick all the money in a killer investment... become super rich ... Retire at 30 and be on permenent summer break!
Lol I wish! You being USMC should understand! I'm just at the beginning of my career as USAF, still looking at another 22 years before retirement (thank you college...) But I save most of my money by buying video games on Ebay. Easily pick them up at 1/6th cost, minus the new releases of course

Old December 28th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #15
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbonds007 View Post
Can't have your cake and eat it too. You want atari simplicity, yet you could simply give up PSN, Steam, Kinect, etc... but you don't. How in the world you expect to have the complexity of online networking without online verification in the form of a simple user name/password is beyond me.

You basically want all this amazing stuff to happen (online gaming, online shopping, multiple user accounts, motion controls, social networking) but want it to be as easy as using a freaking Atari? An atari that could barely render more than 8 different types of pixels at any time?! That is like blaming a Ninja 250 for requiring so much more maintenance than a bicycle.
How about one account? The same account for all of it? or how about all these accounts that are designed primarily to benefit the manufactures and not the user go away? The atari was simple you want to play a game done just play, it didnt need to track my activities to report to atari so they could design games, it didnt need 4 layers of security to prevent piracy, it didnt need online shopping or purchase verification or system updates every month. xbox could do it, allow multipul saves for each game, volentary updating, family accounts so anyone could use it, it would be easy to do but it wouldnt be as profitable.

What really got me was the xbox doing facial recognition so i couldn't play with my son, its a game i paid for the game but they are so worried about their bottom dollar that to prevent piracy I put the new game he got for xmas in and then spent an hour doing mandatory game updates, system updates, account verification, ect. only to have it work poorly because of it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattcatt View Post
Try the Lastpass extension, it generates random strings for passwords using a list of predefined user criteria. You also have the option to set in an autologin feature so you never have to type in your passwords again or press any dreaded "login" buttons. It works for everything that I've had so far and the secure passwords are nice.

In addition set up your browser to automatically open up all of your required pages so you don't even have to type in the URL's and/or set up your computer to open up your email accounts and stuff automatically when the computer is turned on. Seems to me like that will solve 90% of your technological problems.

As far as the xbox is concerned, I can't help ya there. I haven't touched mine since summer, I require very LONG periods to allow myself to get through my severe gaming addictions lol... So I don't really touch it outside of summer when I get a break from class
my browsers all save my passwords, except my work one where it wont let me based on permissions but my problem isnt with the password just the numerous different accounts. My problem isnt really with the accounts themselves either just the general lack of integration between them all.

My degree is in computer programing and its probably just because I see the short comings in it that it drives me crazy. Im sure if I was a mechanic and see people selling poorly built cars as designed that way for your benifit it would be the same but I guess with the holiday stress and long day I might have went a bit far with it.

Old December 28th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Take a picture of your son

Facial recognition beaten
AFM #676

Old December 28th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #17
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

If you miss the simplicity of Atari, you must have skipped gaming in the nineties. The Jaguar had an eighteen-button controller.

Old December 28th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #18
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

LOL that is hilarious. yeah I missed that one. Wow its still expensive but those where some great games I did play several of them on PC.

Old December 28th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #19
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Link to original page on YouTube.

Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #20
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
To the OP… It's not really clear if you're ranting against technology in general or just the inconvenience of passwords and logins. I'll assume the former.

Only about a third of that list is stuff you must do. The rest is optional on any given day.

Every device you own has an off switch. It's up to you to use that feature and unplug yourself. Don't b*tch about it if you're not willing to put it down. The same goes for complaints about what's on TV, the trash coming out of Hollywood, etc. etc. If you don't like it, don't consume it. Simple.

Go for a walk. Go fly a kite. Go ride your bike. Go play catch with your kid. Cook a great meal. READ A BOOK! All tech all the time is overrated, and we all have the ability to put it away.

Nobody NEEDS to be connected 24/7. People WANT to be connected 24/7. Those who argue otherwise are, IMHO, merely rationalizing. They're altering their behavior to suit a lifestyle choice.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote