ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Notices

Old July 8th, 2014, 11:30 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[American Motorcyclist Association] - Tuner, engine builder, team owner Rob Muzzy ele

PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- RobMuzzy, a top tuner, engine builder and race team owner has been elected to theAMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame Class of 2014.

Muzzy, who was elected to the Road Racing category, will be inducted at the2014 AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony Oct. 17, in Orlando, Fla.The induction ceremony is part of the AMA National Convention being held inconjunction with the American International Motorcycle Expo (AIMExpo) Oct.16-19. Tickets for the convention and the induction ceremony go on sale soon.Check back at www.motorcyclemuseum.org forupdates.

"Rob Muzzy's successes stretch across seven decades, from his 1950s dragracing ventures to his current performance-products business and teamownership," said Ken Ford, a member of the Hall of Fame executivecommittee and treasurer of the AMA board of directors. "Throughout hiscareer, Rob's determination, skills and strategies have proved effective,placing him and his race teams at the top of the motorcycle racingcommunity."

Muzzy was elated to learn of his election.

"I was really glad to get the call," he said. "I know I wasnominated three or for years ago, but didn't get in. So I was pretty glad thatI got the votes this time around."

Muzzy is the sixth member of the AMA Motorcycle Hall of Fame Class of 2014 tobe announced. He joins previously announced inductees: motocross pioneer PierreKarsmakers; Tom White, acclaimed racer and founder of White Brothers CycleSpecialties; George Barber, founder of the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museumand the Barber Motorsports Park; national off-road racing champion ScottSummers; and AMA motocross champion Mike LaRocco.

The final 2014 inductee will be announced later this week.

Muzzy got started in drag racing during the 1950s and raced dirt track as anovice in Southern California. He always built and tuned his own race engines.

"When it was time to move up to the next level -- by then I was marriedand had a kid -- I just decided that I wasn't that serious about it,"Muzzy said. "I always had medium success as a rider. But I always had thequickest bike. So, the other guys were asking me to build engines for them. Somoving from racing to tuning is just something that happened."

Muzzy's first shot at a performance business, in the 1970s, provedunsuccessful, largely due to an economic downturn at the time. So he respondedto a Kawasaki ad for a motorcycle mechanic, landed the job and never lookedback.

"That was the beginning of my real success, October 1980," Muzzysaid.

During the 1980s, Muzzy built and tuned engines for the Kawasaki and Hondaracing teams. The Kawasaki team scored AMA Superbike championships in 1981,1982 and 1983.

In 1984, Muzzy moved to Honda as crew chief for the team that won the AMA GrandNational Motocross Championship. From 1985 through 1987, Muzzy-tuned machineswon the 125cc AMA National Motocross Championship, the Daytona 200 and the AMASuperbike Championship.

Winning with Muzzy as crew chief or tuner were Hall of Famers Eddie Lawson,Ricky Graham, Scott Russell and Doug Chandler as well as Ron Lechien, MiguelDuhamel, Rickey Gadson and numerous others.

In January of 1988, at the strong urging of his wife, Muzzy re-opened his ownbusiness, producing engines and exhaust systems for racers.

"I just wanted an easy, 40-hour-a-week job someplace, but my wifeconvinced me that I should take advantage of my reputation and skills," hesaid.

Toward the end of 1988, Muzzy learned that Kawasaki planned to release a new750cc bike.

"I got in touch with them and said, 'Gee, you ought to race thatthing,'" he said.

Kawasaki agreed and provided Muzzy with "a very minimal budget" tobuild a race bike and hire a rider. He recruited Russell and Chandler, whosubsequently finished first and second in the 1990 AMA 750cc SupersportChampionship. Chandler also won the AMA Superbike Championship that year.

Kawasaki then asked Muzzy to run its FIM World Superbike team. He accepted, andthe team won two world championships.

"Those were probably my most successful days," he said of managingU.S. and world racing teams while running a full-time business. "But thatalmost killed me."

Muzzy said the 1993 season was his most memorable, working with teams that wonthe AMA Supersport Championship and the FIM World Superbike Championship andnotching Kawasaki's first victory in the Suzuki 8 hours Endurance Road Race.

"To me, it doesn't seem like anything I do is particularlyoutstanding," Muzzy said. "I have a good eye for talent, when I canpick them, and I have been fortunate to work with a lot of really good talent,whether I picked them or not. We always have a strong team atmosphere, witheveryone working toward the same goal."

Muzzy Performance Products is still operating in Bend, Ore., and Team Muzzy isstill racing.

AMA Motorcycle Hall of Famers are selected through a nomination and votingprocedure that includes ballots cast by living Hall of Fame members, members ofthe American Motorcyclist Association and AMHF boards of directors, and membersof, and advisers to, the Hall of Fame category committees.

To nominate a future Hall of Famer, visit: www.motorcyclemuseum.org/induction.

Click here for full story...