ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old October 6th, 2009, 09:19 AM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

CP Blue group buy? 1 jar=how much bodywork? Can the base coat be improvised cheaply?

Ordering unpainted parts is so much cheaper, but the paint is expensive! Also, I have no experience painting and have no equipment. All I know is that you don't apply it with a brush! That said, I think I'd be asking someone else to do it. If I provide the paint, how much cheaper do you guys think this would be? Is there anything else that needs to go with it, like a clear coat?

I'd like to order some unpainted mods and body parts along with the largest container of CP Blue + base I can get from Color Rite, use what I need, and sell the rest. This got me thinking: Can't we make a group buy of some kind? Not like a traditional group buy, but one where we buy more than we need, share the cost, and pass it around. Sound feasible?

How much does the base coat contribute to the final color match? It would be MUCH easier to afford if the base didn't cost WAAAAY too much also. Considering that the base coat is covered up, can we get away with a cheaper paint from elsewhere and still get a result that looks identical to the naked eye? Like I said, I don't know anything about painting and wouldn't know where to start doing that either.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #2
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

Take this with a grain of salt as I have no direct painting experience, but I'm 99.9% sure you'll need clearcoat.
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #3
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

clear coat is needed. I think with cpb it has a black base I imagine you can get away with another kind of black at less cost. But if your gonna do it then do it right. I would find a guy whose good at painting and keep him stocked on beer.

Old October 6th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I imagine that even the clear coat could make a difference vs. the factory color, shine, look, and texture, so why don't they suggest a clear coat too? I don't think I have the skills to do this anyway.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #5
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

color rite suggests a clear coat you just have to look for the suggestion. the stock paint is clear coated.

Old October 13th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #6
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

The undercoat is a silver metal-fleck (lots of sparkle) that's got a hint of blue in it. Got a set of touch-up pens from Color-Rite a couple months ago to address some rock strikes on my forward fairings.

All I can say to those experienced with getting touch-up paint to look right is: I don't know how you do it. After clear-coating as carefully as I could (and following the instructions as closely as possible), it still looks odd.

If you do a GB on '08 CP blue, lemme know. I'd like to do a total strip-down and restart on my fairing or even get some unpainted parts like you're considering.

Old October 18th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #7
miztyzo562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
All I can say to those experienced with getting touch-up paint to look right is: I don't know how you do it. After clear-coating as carefully as I could (and following the instructions as closely as possible), it still looks odd.
I have a black rsx and chips are a B. I just needle injected all my touch up's and let dry, application over application until it almost leveled out. then one or two more applications of cc and a soft buff after, and scratch be gone!! You can still notice the scratch if you knew where it was and stare at it, but other than that, not noticeable. The brush is tricky because getting it on unaffected areas will make your chip stick out

Old March 28th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #8
welcome2thedawn
ninjette.org guru

Name: dawn

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r modded, 73 honda cl200, 74 kawasaki 400 triple

i JUST finished painting my undertail with colorite spray paint (cp blue) it's kind of hard to really make it match...i did 3 light coats of base, and ended up doing 4 coats of color...the directions say not to do any sanding between coats, but since it doesn't match exactly i think i am going to wet sand lightly where the colors meet and then do the clear
welcome2thedawn is offline   Reply With Quote