Old November 29th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #41
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
T

The line should be drawn at safety issues and something that would disrupt the work place. Refusing to give the dude the day off or at least no wear the sticker seems a bit silly, especially seeing how intense he was about not wearing it. It seems like this could have easily been avoided....
Yes I agree, he doesn't want to wear a sticker for personal reasons. Why not just let him go without the sticker and move on? It's not like it would harm someone if he didn't wear it.

The media storm and the fear of religion or "the Other" has made a big deal of nothing.
A little personal private comment with the boss should have been all that was required. Probably no one at all would have noticed if he was wearing it on not.

On the other side of the coin, he could have said okay and discreetly "lost" his sticker?

Is there a sticker that you would refuse to wear if your boss asked you to?
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #42
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
maybe i am naive... but who gives a ****? on both parts? its just a sticker, if you dont want to wear it who gives a ****. if someone doesnt want to wear your 36 pieces of flare, who gives a ****?

someone in the world got butthurt. boo hoo.

im tired of hearing about how sacred peoples beliefs are and how you cant violate peoples beliefs. my beliefs are violated every day, you don't hear me bitching and complaining. i also don't post rant videos ranting about how one person or another is right or wrong. because its retarded. oh sorry, i mean "R-worded"

unless someone is actively trying to kill you, i don't care.

Old November 29th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #43
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post

ha idk? My boss is my father, and he is more conservative than I so I doubt that would ever happen, but Ive worn a lot worse things then a 666 sticker. My best man had 666 tattooed on his stomach. While I looked down upon the decision, he doesnt believe what I believe and the 666 represents something different to him then satan... (f is the 6th letter of the alphabet FFF, Friends Family, Forever, old hardcore band thing)

anyways I cant think of anything in my work place that I would be forced to go against my religious convictions.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #44
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
kick me

Old November 29th, 2011, 02:57 PM   #45
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Some of the commentary by atheists elsewhere on the net has been that "He should wear it because its just a sticker. " Then they go on to say, "But they shouldn't be allowed to make me wear a 'Jesus Loves Me' sticker."

Why not? Its just a sticker, right?

Clearly the management is just messing with this guy in the video. But you can only mess with people's religion so much before they kick you in the arse.

Old November 29th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #46
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
maybe i am naive... but who gives a ****? on both parts? its just a sticker, if you dont want to wear it who gives a ****. if someone doesnt want to wear your 36 pieces of flare, who gives a ****?

someone in the world got butthurt. boo hoo.

im tired of hearing about how sacred peoples beliefs are and how you cant violate peoples beliefs. my beliefs are violated every day, you don't hear me bitching and complaining. i also don't post rant videos ranting about how one person or another is right or wrong. because its retarded. oh sorry, i mean "R-worded"

unless someone is actively trying to kill you, i don't care.
Then why the long comment? Heehee. And in that comment you are B^^^ching and complaining but that's what these discussions are for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Some of the commentary by atheists elsewhere on the net has been that "He should wear it because its just a sticker. " Then they go on to say, "But they shouldn't be allowed to make me wear a 'Jesus Loves Me' sticker."

Why not? Its just a sticker, right?
That was my comment with the 'jesus loves you' sticker and don't change it's context. And don't assume that people who would not wear a 'jesus loves you' sticker are atheist, I only said that I'm not a believer in that religion

It's like people that believe atheists are only using science. There's a million different versions of atheism too. We shouldn't lump any group of people into one category.

There's soooo many things that people would say no to. Some guys wouldn't wear "I'm gay", some black people wouldn't wear "I love the KKK", some jews wouldn't wear "Heil hitler", some women wouldn't wear sweatshop brandname jeans. whatever. We are all allowed to choose as long as it doesn't endanger people.
We all have the right to choose what goes on our body and represents us. If I take a job at Tim Hortons, I am in required to wear their uniform but I would not agree to wear a sticker that said "kill kittens."

I'm not on the guy's side OR the boss's side, I just think it could have been handled better. People are so eager to take a stand for or against that sometimes we forget that we can agree to disagree and no one gets hurt. It would go a long way to stop people who are paranoid of "the other".

What do you expect, I'm from Canada. We TRY to let people flaunt their beliefs but draw the line at pushing their beliefs on others. Not just religion but anything. Live and let live.

Old November 29th, 2011, 10:21 PM   #47
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:

Clearly the management is just messing with this guy in the video. But you can only mess with people's religion so much before they kick you in the arse.
Oops, forgot about that part!
I agree, don't poke the bear. Mess with anyone's heart enough and they will bite you.

Old November 30th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #48
n4mwd

Quote:
That was my comment with the 'jesus loves you' sticker and don't change it's context. And don't assume that people who would not wear a 'jesus loves you' sticker are atheist, I only said that I'm not a believer in that religion
Actually, no. I wasn't quoting you, but I just went back through the posts and you did say something similar. The person who I was actually quoting was definitely an atheist and isn't a member here AFAIK. If I was quoting someone from this forum, I would have just hit the quote button like I just did. Sorry for the confusion on that.

However, there is a difference between 'offensive' stickers and anti-religious stickers. There are lots of stickers that I would find offensive, but stickers that attack ones religion are a different matter. In this case, the guy in the video wasn't just offended, he honestly believed that if he wore that sticker, that he would go to Hell. That's totally different from a black guy who's offended by working at Kirk's Kernel Kingdom (KKK) and wearing their logo on his work shirt.

But say I took a job working for a muslim group and they wanted me to wear a 'I love Mohamed' sticker. I would be offended, because I'm not muslim, but at the same time, it wouldn't carry any religious significance to me so I would probably wear it to keep my job. But if they wanted me to wear a 'I hate Jesus' or 'I hate Jews' sticker, then that would have religious significance and I would refuse to wear it.

Old November 30th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #49
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Then why the long comment? Heehee. And in that comment you are B^^^ching and complaining but that's what these discussions are for.
my comments are pointed toward the people having seemingly useless discussion about people they don't knows feelings about a subject that always has the same result. not the people getting butt-hurt.

whats the saying? only a crazy person keeps doing the same thing expecting a different result each time?

Old November 30th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #50
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Im confused by your posts Alex since no one in this thread has said anything mean or even been confrontational?

This has been one of the nicest discussions of a "hot" topic that Ive seen...

Old December 1st, 2011, 03:31 PM   #51
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Actually, no. I wasn't quoting you, but I just went back through the posts and you did say something similar. The person who I was actually quoting was definitely an atheist and isn't a member here AFAIK. If I was quoting someone from this forum, I would have just hit the quote button like I just did. Sorry for the confusion on that.
Oops, think that was my booboo. Sorry back at ya.
Just remember all atheists are not alike. I get kinda flippy when anyone is put into a people bucket. I have a born again christian uncle who is NOT a christian in my eyes and I know Wiccas who follow the good people rules better than some christians or muslims. We are all human so one giant swarm. No carbon copies no matter what the title.

There's a cool rabbi who talks about how it could be that all of us are saying the same thing but we use different roads to get there. I like that. That's one thing about the jewish faith that I wish would spill over into all faith and non faith people...The idea that it's GOOD to wonder and ask questions.
Quote:
However, there is a difference between 'offensive' stickers and anti-religious stickers.
Not to some people. For some, they are one in the same. Some people find anti - THEIR-religion stickers offensive. Just like those cartoons. I can't FEEL why it was offensive but if I was follower of Islam maybe I would find it offensive too. I can say that I do understand why it was offensive but that's just the common sense part of me. Hard to say without be realistically walking in their shoes.

Quote:
But say I took a job working for a muslim group and they wanted me to wear a 'I love Mohamed' sticker. I would be offended, because I'm not muslim, but at the same time, it wouldn't carry any religious significance to me so I would probably wear it to keep my job.
That;s an interesting one eh? I wouldn't wear an I love Jesus or Mohamed etc sticker because it wouldn't be true so would be a false representation of me. I don't find the sentiment offensive in any way though.
I would easily wear an I love christians or I love muslims sticker since I do love all people unless thy turn out to be a dickhead. Respect first, mentally chuck them off a cliff if they're nasty humans.

Quote:
But if they wanted me to wear a 'I hate Jesus' or 'I hate Jews' sticker, then that would have religious significance and I would refuse to wear it.
Makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
my comments are pointed toward the people having seemingly useless discussion about people they don't knows feelings about a subject that always has the same result. not the people getting butt-hurt.
I find these discussions very useful. Keeps me in touch with how other are feeling about things. Compare some of the religious discussions we have now as opposed to before 911. The world has changed but there's hope that we're all chilling out again.

Quote:
whats the saying? only a crazy person keeps doing the same thing expecting a different result each time?
And sane people can expand the road each time new thoughts and ideas get filtered through their heads.
No one ever expects people of strong faith to "change their minds" but some of us did. Same path different result. Even Einstein followers may have to rethink speed of light soon. Kinda exciting.

Quote:
Im confused by your posts Alex since no one in this thread has said anything mean or even been confrontational?

This has been one of the nicest discussions of a "hot" topic that Ive seen...
It's totally cool eh? Some forums have trolls or a bunch of 'too cool' kids, this one has a nice mix of everyone. Hope it never changes.

Old December 1st, 2011, 04:46 PM   #52
n4mwd

Quote:
That;s an interesting one eh? I wouldn't wear an I love Jesus or Mohamed etc sticker because it wouldn't be true so would be a false representation of me. I don't find the sentiment offensive in any way though.

I would easily wear an I love christians or I love muslims sticker since I do love all people unless thy turn out to be a dickhead. Respect first, mentally chuck them off a cliff if they're nasty humans.
Since I'm not muslim, wearing an "I love Mohamed" sticker has no more religious significance to me than wearing an "I love Obama" sticker. I would be offended if anyone wanted me to wear either, but I would if my job depended on it. But the number 666 has special meaning to Christians. Wearing it is akin to wearing a sticker that said "I hate Jesus and I love Satan". No Christian would be comfortable with that.

Old December 1st, 2011, 11:20 PM   #53
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Since I'm not muslim, wearing an "I love Mohamed" sticker has no more religious significance to me than wearing an "I love Obama" sticker. I would be offended if anyone wanted me to wear either, but I would if my job depended on it. But the number 666 has special meaning to Christians. Wearing it is akin to wearing a sticker that said "I hate Jesus and I love Satan". No Christian would be comfortable with that.
I understand what the numbers mean to christians. You'd have to be living under a rock not to know that. What about Christians who love Iron Maiden? They would know the song and album are showing kids NOT to muck with 'the devil' so wouldn't knowledge of that song throw a wrench into the whole thing? Wearing and Iron Maiden 666 t-shirt would show that you agree with Iron Maiden's warning.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Did you mean to say you wouldn't be offended by an I love muslims, I love Obama sticker?

Wandering off topic again ...is it true that some people in the US thought Obama was a Muslim? Nevermind, politics may make our happy discussion fly off the rails.

Old December 2nd, 2011, 05:33 AM   #54
n4mwd

Quote:
...What about Christians who love Iron Maiden? They would know the song and album are showing kids NOT to muck with 'the devil' so wouldn't knowledge of that song throw a wrench into the whole thing? Wearing and Iron Maiden 666 t-shirt would show that you agree with Iron Maiden's warning.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Did you mean to say you wouldn't be offended by an I love muslims, I love Obama sticker? ...
I don't know anything about Iron Maiden. When you say their message is "Don't muck with the devil" do you mean that people shouldn't resist him? In any event, wearing 666 on clothing or skin is inappropriate for a Christian.

I said that I would be offended by being forced to wear an "I love mohamed" sticker, but that I would wear it to keep my job. I would be offended because it wouldn't be true in my case, not because of any religious significance.

Old December 2nd, 2011, 07:52 PM   #55
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I don't know anything about Iron Maiden. When you say their message is "Don't muck with the devil" do you mean that people shouldn't resist him? In any event, wearing 666 on clothing or skin is inappropriate for a Christian. .
Iron Maiden is a metal band that went through a big uproar because of a song that some bunch of nutcases thought was promoting devil worship. The people making a big stir hadn't read the lyrics. Was quite funny to us metal heads.

Quote:
I said that I would be offended by being forced to wear an "I love mohamed" sticker, but that I would wear it to keep my job. I would be offended because it wouldn't be true in my case, not because of any religious significance
In your case you could say it was Mohamed Ali, the boxer.

There's the difference in both our cases, we would prefer not to wear certain sentiments, me because it would be inaccurate and you because you would find it offensive because of your religion. But we'd both be stuck wearing a McDonalds hat if we worked there.

Now, my friend, we get to the REAL burning issue: When I put the reindeer antlers, red nose and big red tail bow on my Ninja, do you think people will try to run me over or stay 10 yards back because they think I'm a nut job?

Old December 2nd, 2011, 10:47 PM   #56
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

"If youre 555 them im 666" - Slipknot

lol I listen to metal too

but ive recently started to listening to more positive metal/hardcore. Ive always have listened to a mix...

Old December 3rd, 2011, 05:08 AM   #57
n4mwd

Quote:
In your case you could say it was Mohamed Ali, the boxer.
Maybe "I like Mohamed Ali the Boxer".

Quote:
Now, my friend, we get to the REAL burning issue: When I put the reindeer antlers, red nose and big red tail bow on my Ninja, do you think people will try to run me over or stay 10 yards back because they think I'm a nut job?
Especially if it was in July. Which is how I feel about department stores that advertise Christmas sales in July. And that's another thing that offends me. They don't have Christmas sales any more. Its "Holiday" sales.

Old December 3rd, 2011, 02:36 PM   #58
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
And that's another thing that offends me. They don't have Christmas sales any more. Its "Holiday" sales.
You're life sounds incredibly difficult. How do you manage?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2011, 03:27 PM   #59
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Christmas was originally a pagan holiday. I still celebrate it but I dont really get into that whole with out Christ there is no Christmas debate. Im fine with celebrating the birth of Christ on Christmas, but I acknowledge that he wasnt really born then and its just a representative birthday...

Old December 3rd, 2011, 05:01 PM   #60
Heed

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

Quote:
Christmas was originally a pagan holiday. I still celebrate it but I dont really get into that whole with out Christ there is no Christmas debate. Im fine with celebrating the birth of Christ on Christmas, but I acknowledge that he wasnt really born then and its just a representative birthday...
it's an excuse to buy things we don't need and indulge ourselves with ham, pie, and cookies.

nobody looks any further than that.

Old December 3rd, 2011, 05:02 PM   #61
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

thats inaccurate. lol

Old December 3rd, 2011, 06:30 PM   #62
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
it's an excuse to buy things we don't need and indulge ourselves with ham, pie, and cookies.

nobody looks any further than that.
Wrong, my friend. I do.

Woohoo!! It's turning of the season, death and rebirth, end of a season, beginning of a new one, time for different people to celebrate their history/religion, time for others to take a few minutes to hang with their family, put things in order for the new year..etc etc.

Time for crow-people like me to oogle over shiny lights and pretty things.

Don't like shopping and don't buy a bunch of crap but I do have a nice get-together with friends and family. Also I don't need a holiday to eat like a pig.

Each seasonal change means a lots to me but most of all it represents time to slow down and be thankful that I'm alive.

Time for some people to say Bah, Humbug. C'mon Mr. Jiggles, ignore the commercial crap and get out there and just enjoy the fact that you're here, you've got food and shelter and people that give a sheet. Turn off the TV if it's getting to you, take a ride, relaaaaxxxxx, chill. Go get a massage.

I think if I was good friends with you, I would make it my #1 mission to make you laugh your arse off. You need it.

WRT heavy metal, listen to Disturbed if you want heavy with a message instead of storytelling like other musicians. Wonder why we accept stories from other music genres yet with metal, it's like the story in a song is assumed to be reflective of the band's personal feelings?? Glad Shakespeare and Stephen King don't get that treatment.

Old December 3rd, 2011, 06:56 PM   #63
Heed

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

Quote:
time for others to take a few minutes to hang with their family, put things in order for the new year..etc etc.
I can do all of that any day of the week.

Quote:
Wonder why we accept stories from other music genres yet with metal, it's like the story in a song is assumed to be reflective of the band's personal feelings??
No I don't

Old December 3rd, 2011, 07:03 PM   #64
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
I can do all of that any day of the week.
I wish I could but only at holidays can we take time off work to get together. You're lucky.
I also can't wrap up my year-end stuff any time other than the, um, year-end.

Quote:
No I don't
Wasn't referring to you specifically. It's quite general, many genres of music write about 'scary' things but with the harder music genre, it's usually the musician that comes under fire. This doesn't happen with other arts like movies, novel writing and painting.

Old December 4th, 2011, 12:41 AM   #65
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Wrong, my friend. I do.

Woohoo!! It's turning of the season, death and rebirth, end of a season, beginning of a new one, time for different people to celebrate their history/religion, time for others to take a few minutes to hang with their family, put things in order for the new year..etc etc.

Time for crow-people like me to oogle over shiny lights and pretty things.

Don't like shopping and don't buy a bunch of crap but I do have a nice get-together with friends and family. Also I don't need a holiday to eat like a pig.

Each seasonal change means a lots to me but most of all it represents time to slow down and be thankful that I'm alive.

Time for some people to say Bah, Humbug. C'mon Mr. Jiggles, ignore the commercial crap and get out there and just enjoy the fact that you're here, you've got food and shelter and people that give a sheet. Turn off the TV if it's getting to you, take a ride, relaaaaxxxxx, chill. Go get a massage.

I think if I was good friends with you, I would make it my #1 mission to make you laugh your arse off. You need it.

WRT heavy metal, listen to Disturbed if you want heavy with a message instead of storytelling like other musicians. Wonder why we accept stories from other music genres yet with metal, it's like the story in a song is assumed to be reflective of the band's personal feelings?? Glad Shakespeare and Stephen King don't get that treatment.
Oh this is where you told me (from the other picture thread) to get a massage

Do I really seem like an uptight prick? Because I'm really more of an egotistical sarcastic asshole
AFM #676

Old December 4th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #66
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Oh this is where you told me (from the other picture thread) to get a massage

Do I really seem like an uptight prick? Because I'm really more of an egotistical sarcastic asshole
Hmm. A wee bit but I'm still new here, give me time.

And sarcastic, yes, a-hole don't know yet but egotistical?
People who have a big ego think they have good reason to be that way...sooo.... what's so wonderful about you besides that you ride a ninja? *Not being sarcastic, just nosy.

Old December 4th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #67
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Hmm. A wee bit but I'm still new here, give me time.

And sarcastic, yes, a-hole don't know yet but egotistical?
People who have a big ego think they have good reason to be that way...sooo.... what's so wonderful about you besides that you ride a ninja? *Not being sarcastic, just nosy.
We joined this forum at the same time

Well to start I can do anything and everything better than anyone else. I'm pretty much the most awesome person ever and I drink Dos Equis on a regular basis.
AFM #676

Old December 4th, 2011, 01:18 AM   #68
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
We joined this forum at the same time

Well to start I can do anything and everything better than anyone else. I'm pretty much the most awesome person ever and I drink Dos Equis on a regular basis.
Okay, brownie points for the funny commercial reference.
I need proof for the other bits though. I'm guessing you look like the lead singer of Godsmacked?

Old December 4th, 2011, 01:30 AM   #69
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Okay, brownie points for the funny commercial reference.
I need proof for the other bits though. I'm guessing you look like the lead singer of Godsmacked?
No I look like this. I was so angry because someone was trying to tell me that I spilled beer on my shirt but thats actually just how the light reflects off it, I would never spill a beer. Considering that I'm never wrong the only logical next step was to make sure that person was no longer living

AFM #676

Old December 4th, 2011, 01:34 AM   #70
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

I hate @Jiggles and think he is an egotistical ass. but thats just me. I hate white people in general...

oh how far we have strayed from the satan talk...

but its depresses me anyways...

Old December 4th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #71
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
No I look like this. I was so angry because someone was trying to tell me that I spilled beer on my shirt but thats actually just how the light reflects off it, I would never spill a beer. Considering that I'm never wrong the only logical next step was to make sure that person was no longer living

Aha, you're just a young thing. Not to worry then, egos fade when reality bites your arse.