get a zx6r
GeorgiaHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #42
Merc250r
ninjette.org member

Name: Murad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Yamaha FZ6R

I have one, love it and recommend it.

Seats like a ninja, just little bit higher. Needs an exhaust since it's too quiet. Has 2 seating positions, get's around 43mpg, love it so far.
Merc250r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #43
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Nice pics!! I really want to get one. I'm not plannin on selling my ninja, so I guess it's time to save-up for it then. When you take it to the twisties how is it compared to the ninja?
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #44
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
...I also love the white but there's the pink accent(Hope it's just stickers) and I feel you the ugly ass bars has to go.
It's removable graphics on the fairings, but on the tank, it's under the clearcoat - like the "Kawasaki" on our gas tanks - so not really removable in the peel-it-off sense.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #45
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaubideux View Post
It's removable graphics on the fairings, but on the tank, it's under the clearcoat - like the "Kawasaki" on our gas tanks - so not really removable in the peel-it-off sense.
then I guess the new question is "how much is it to get the tank painted"
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #46
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

i rode one on a demo day, I liked it. didn't get to go try it in the twisties, but the half an hour or so that I spent on it was good.

it's on my short list for my next bike, if I can get it in the black/gold colour combo that they only made in 2010. SV650 is on that list too, but I want to ride one (and make sure I can get the lower fairing kit) before i decide.
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #47
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
almost40 seems to like his
Why yes I do...... Mine is an FZ6 not a FZ6R but they are bulletproof. If you look the FZ6 are priced very reasonable used and will make a great touring bike. They are 98 horse stock which is quite a bit more than the FZ6R and can be converted to a track bike by getting the front end reworked. They handle the track...........No Problem Best $1700 I ever spent (with 8000 miles on the odometer)
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #48
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
They are 98 horse stock
you know they say that... and they say my fzr is 90 something as well... but i'm willing to bet that's at the crank

Old November 29th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #49
SpawnXX
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): 2010 FZ6R Black w/Gold

Quote:
That's what I love about my 2010, no stickers on the tank (apart from the yamaha tri-tuning forks symbol), only basic brand on the base of the bike and model on the upper cowling. Doesn't have all the fancy stickers like on the '11 and '12 but I prefer it that way. I know this is an old post but thought I'd add. I love my FZ6R.... it handles like a champ and what I haven't seen a lot of people say is how smooth of a ride it is and how smooth it operates.
SpawnXX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #50
patw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnXX View Post
That's what I love about my 2010, no stickers on the tank (apart from the yamaha tri-tuning forks symbol), only basic brand on the base of the bike and model on the upper cowling. Doesn't have all the fancy stickers like on the '11 and '12 but I prefer it that way. I know this is an old post but thought I'd add. I love my FZ6R.... it handles like a champ and what I haven't seen a lot of people say is how smooth of a ride it is and how smooth it operates.
I love any Yamaha in the black/gold colour scheme. One day, maybe an FZ1 for the street bike. I'll wait till it's old and unloved, buy it for cheap and ride the wheels off

Old November 29th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #51
andylawcc
ninjette.org guru

Name: andy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 faster red

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Negative. Red my post above.
you don't have friends do you?
andylawcc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #52
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylawcc View Post
I have friends, but what does that have to do with this? I was correct and he was in error.

Old November 30th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #53
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Yeah, the black/gold combo is the only version I'd go for with the FZ6R, yours looks great @SpawnXX. Admittedly, though, the FZ6R slipped down my list of possible next bikes. Really want a <2011 Street Triple R for my next bike, or possibly a Monster 796 if I can swing the cost of ownership that comes with it.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #54
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylawcc View Post
Do you wanna be my friend?

Old November 30th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #55
andylawcc
ninjette.org guru

Name: andy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 faster red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc250r View Post
I have one, love it and recommend it.

omg, the Pirelli Angel tire DOES look like an angel. i thought the ads are photoshopped.
andylawcc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #56
SpawnXX
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): 2010 FZ6R Black w/Gold

Quote:
Yeah, the black/gold combo is the only version I'd go for with the FZ6R, yours looks great @SpawnXX. Admittedly, though, the FZ6R slipped down my list of possible next bikes. Really want a <2011 Street Triple R for my next bike, or possibly a Monster 796 if I can swing the cost of ownership that comes with it.
Thank you for the comment, and yeah.. trumpets are great bikes. My father has an old 71' Bonneville sitting in his garage. My plan is to snatch it and get it restored for him one of these days without him knowing. We will see how it goes
SpawnXX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 08:11 PM   #57
ck8go
ninjette.org member

Name: Kate

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250 10' & 05' ninja 636

Fz6r??

So I was going thru some old pictures that I had taken on my phone. I had went to a bike shop once and they had a bike that was aimed at women pearl white paint with purple and pink decals (I hate decals). anyways back to it.. the guy had told me it was an entry level bike and I sat on it with no hope of really touching the ground considering I'm only 5'. and it fit surprisingly, would have fit more with a little lower but it fit. I found the picture of the bike on my phone and was wondering what it was, could see the Yamaha symbol so obviously went there and am concluding that this bike was a FZ6R. 600cc.
Lately I have been worried that I may become bored with my lil 250 but now that I know there is a 600 out there that would fit me I'm feelin better about it. I know some people are hardcore into their brands of things but what are the feelings on this bike, does anyone know people that ride this bike? I'm not thinking of getting one this very moment but when I become more experienced maybe that should be my next? Like I said it's hard to find things that I would feel comfortable on with my height. anyways just throwing it out there hit me back. will post pic.
ck8go is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 08:19 PM   #58
ck8go
ninjette.org member

Name: Kate

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250 10' & 05' ninja 636

I believe this bike was an 07'
ck8go is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 08:20 PM   #59
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I've ridden one of the old FZR6's from the 90's. Its the same idea as the FZ6R (less high strung than the R6 and more comfortable) and it is a very nice step up from the 250 without going to the supersport bikes. They're fast, smooth, and powerful, but not painfully stiff over bumps in the road.

The reviews that I've read about the new FZ6R's seem to say the same basic things and they seem to like it.

http://www.beginnermotorcyclereviews.com/yamaha-fz6r/
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:17 PM   #60
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

You should have done a search on here, this bike has been discussed before. I've ridden the new FZ6R and LOVED it. Absolutely comfortable, good power w/o it getting away from you, good layout of rider cockpit, and it uses an old tried and true reliable motor being a former R6 motor that's been retuned for more low end power.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ht=yamaha+fz6r

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ht=yamaha+fz6r
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:40 PM   #61
sixer
no joy

Name: Six

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 2006 636

Ninja 650, Nuf said...
*ducks*
Posted via Mobile Device
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 10:08 PM   #62
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I'm 6'2" and that bike fits me very well too. Personally I feel like it is the most comfortable bike I've ever had the pleasure of sitting on. Please understand that the Fz6r has less power than it's former model, the fz6 and they don't have the power of a supersport. I've never heard anyone complain about them. I've considered one myself if I ever decide to go with a sport touring style. Good luck with your research.

Old February 3rd, 2012, 11:34 PM   #63
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

'12 Ninja 650 is peeking my interest, but I'm kinda leaning toward the I-4 engine and proven handling of Yamaha bikes. I will most likely buy the FZ6R, in that white, when I upgrade at end of season/next yr.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #64
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

Rode one and really liked it.

If I could get my hands on a 2010 in the black/gold colour combo for a reasonable price I'd probably buy it.
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 08:16 AM   #65
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

At 5' 0", get what you can fit, other options are meaningless if you can't fit on them.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #66
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

I had an 05 fz6 half fairing. It left a little to be wanted. The throttle was really jerky in low RPM, but I know they've fixed that with the new ones. I also felt really cramped on it, and Im not a big guy, maybe i was looking for more of a standard bike and it was a little bit more aggressive than I wanted. I would say if you want to upgrade then check it out. Test drive it and go from there. Thats the good things about bikes, they are "relatively" inexpensive and you can trade around.
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #67
ninjette.org member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 03 ninja 250

Fz6r

So still kicking around the idea of a new bike, I've looked at some 500s and decided to stroll into a dealer near work yesterday.
They didn't have the cbr500 yet but I was put on a list to call when they get them in.
The sales guy wasn't very bright and tried telling me the ninja 650 had 40 some HP and was similiar to a 1200cc cruiser.

Anyway, getting away from the fact I hate salesmen.

I sat on quite a few bikes, the zx6, cbr600, r6, then I spotted a fz6r.
I hopped on it and immediately thought I could picture this bike doing my 100 mile commute a day and still having fun in some corners while having the purr of a i4.

I came home and did some research and apparently the fz6r gets a lot of hate from the fz6 owners for it having less hp and lower redline, bike is a bit heavier but it was hard to find a actual reviews from people who weren't trying to compare it to a zx6 or cbr600.

Anyone who owns or rides a 250 have any input? I'm not looking for a mammoth bike and prefer my back to not be in pain when I get to work.

I'd like to hear an honest opinion from someone who's ridden one not someone comparing it to a SS on the track.
02337 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2013, 01:35 PM   #68
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/merged a few FZ6R threads together

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #69
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
/merged a few FZ6R threads together
Apparently my post didn't make the cut *sniffle*
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #70
ninjaone
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): CBR

FZ6R is a great commuter bike. It's definitely a smooth operator, only downsides are it's relatively heavy and it is definitely budget oriented in every sense of the word, from suspension to build quality. It will let you down in the twisties if you are expecting competent suspension, but it will hold it's own regardless. Overall the bike is a huge improvement over the old FZ6, for anyone who remembers that clunker.
ninjaone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #71
ninjette.org member

Everything I've read from the old fz6 riders is the new bike is horrid.
Now I did read the suspension is lacking but nothing some new springs can't fix, I really would prefer the fz6r but I'm going to wait to try out the cbr500, but for the less I can get a cheaper fz6r. I just don't know if I'd enjoy a true SS as a main bike, instead I'm thinking of the fz6r as a main bike, and my 250 as the weekend twisty rider.

Old January 24th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #72
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

They are two reasonably different bikes. The original wins on the spec sheet. The R wins the reviews. It's a balanced bike, with good all-around capabilities at a reasonable price.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old January 24th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #73
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Apparently my post didn't make the cut *sniffle*
Which one?

Old January 24th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #74
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Which one?
I replied to the original post that you just merged and I guess mine got lost in the merge. It explained some of the differences and benefits to the ninja 650 and now I'm too lazy to rewrite it
AFM #676

Old January 24th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #75
ninjaone
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): CBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02337 View Post
Everything I've read from the old fz6 riders is the new bike is horrid.
In my experience riders of older generation bikes have a "get off my lawn" attitude to newer bikes, I see it all the time. The old bike had a horrid power band pared with the most clunky shifting transmission I've ever used. In my opinion the only attribute in which the older bike is better is in top end which was hardly usable around town anyway which was what the bike was mainly for.
ninjaone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #76
ninjette.org member

Well I've been considering the 650 as well, so if you could put aside laziness for a few I'd appreciate the input!
I really like the fz6r I didn't get to ride it or the 650 yet. Dealer didn't seem too excited to pull them out of the pre owned wharehouse for me to put around on.
Manager called me today to follow up and assured me I could get some seat time on both.

Old January 24th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #77
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Uhm, I'll lazily rewrite

650 looks better, has more features, is part of costco program (no haggling), engine brakes like a mother ****er, adjustable windshield, lots of torque, 1st gear wheelies, vibraty like the 250
AFM #676

Old January 24th, 2013, 03:12 PM   #78
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I replied to the original post that you just merged and I guess mine got lost in the merge. It explained some of the differences and benefits to the ninja 650 and now I'm too lazy to rewrite it
Ah - that's strange (and unintentional). I didn't delete any posts, I just pointed at the other thread to merge them together. I wasn't aware that it would bork posts that were still in progress, that's a bit unexpected.

Old January 24th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #79
SMman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danger

Motorcycle(s): 15 CBR300R, 14 BWS50, 09 FZ1, 09 Ninja 250, 06 CRF450R Motard, 03 ZX-6R

The older FZ6 had an aluminum frame and swingarm, better brakes, and better suspension. A friend of mine had one and I liked it but found the seating position too upright.

I have not tried the FZ6R but it seems like a cheaper step backwards. I know it appeals to more riders because of the full fairing.

If I were in the market for a bike in that range, I would buy a Suzuki SV650 or Kawasaki Versys.

Old January 24th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #80
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Indeed, I *think* I posted it before the merge, did the quick reply and it popped right up, came back later and it was gone
AFM #676