I'm just bored...
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 12:48 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the entire line of fz bikes are great. also, they last forever. a bit heavier and the weight is much higher up than the 250 but not terrible to manage.

i wouldn't mind having an fzr 400. weighs about the same as the ninja 250, but is a 400. looks like a sweet bike.

edit: although i think havok would agree the cable routing in the bike could be better

Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:01 PM   #3
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

It has adjustable seat height. 43mpg. $7500- not bad for a new super sport. Except for the huge, one piece casting containing both operator and passenger foot rests, it looks pretty nice.

Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:04 PM   #4
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

I saw one at craiglist for 4.5 OBO it has 800 miles I'm like hmmmm interesting. it reminds me of a gixxer.

Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:04 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I'd ask DAKINECHICk, she traded her ninjette in on a FZ6R awhile back.

/moved to General until someone actually *gets* a new bike.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:06 PM   #6
GeorgiaHooligan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Aaron

I wouldnt call the fz6r a supersport.
GeorgiaHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:07 PM   #7
rockNroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHooligan View Post
I wouldnt call the fz6r a supersport.
The bike is a Super Sport, but you can call it whatever you like.

Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:11 PM   #8
kaiserz

they say it's a detuned r6. it can be the missing link between a sport and a super sport?

Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:12 PM   #9
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

Maybe super sporty?
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:20 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the fz is the previous generation 'super sport'. like the fzr/yzf-600 (not the yzf-r6) it's setup for a more touring/street-bike posturing. they have between 70 and 90 hp depending on year. (70 on newer, they pushed it for more torque, less top end hp) conventional forks, non adjustable damping but a rear preload setting. by today's standards, it's a sport, not a super-sport. they're sweet bikes though.

Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:20 PM   #11
rockNroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
they say it's a detuned r6. it can be the missing link between a sport and a super sport?
Nope. Yamaha doesn't sell sports they sell super sports. Kawasaki sells sport and supersport. Honda sells Sport Bikes but does not sell Super Sports. Suzuki sells Sportbikes, and like Honda, no Super sports. That's just the Big 4.

Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:30 PM   #12
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

There were couple threads on the subject already that go into details, look 'em up. YMMV, but I would not trade my Ninja for one.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:39 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...kes/index.html
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...fz6/index.html
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...r/viewall.html

Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:45 PM   #14
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Sombo has test-ridden one before. He seemed to like it.

His opinion.

I've sat on one and it seemed like it'd be a comfortable sport-touring kind of bike. I'm considering it as a replacement in a year or 2 to my Ninja, and then from there to a CBR600RR if I feel the desire to. My one concern is that it's a bit heavier than the 250 at 470lbs, the CBR600RR at around 410lbs would be a much easier weight to manage as a step up from the 375lbs of the 250R. But almost 100lbs heavier than the Ninja... But if I went with the FZ6R it'd require 2 things: a) replace the ugly-ass one-piece silver handlebar, and find a 2010 model in black w/gold wheels.

I like the white model but it is definitely a girl's model since it has pink in the graphics which, of course, are covered by the clearcoat on the gas tank so they can't be peeled off, otherwise I'd look for a white one too.

Last futzed with by reaubideux; September 7th, 2011 at 10:39 AM.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 02:21 PM   #15
kaiserz

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaubideux View Post
Sombo has test-ridden one before. He seemed to like it.

His opinion.

I've sat on one and it seemed like it'd be a comfortable sport-touring kind of bike. I'm considering it as a replacement in a year or 2 to my Ninja, and then from there to a CBR600RR if I feel the desire to. My one concern is that it's a bit heavier than the 250 at 470lbs, the CBR600RR at around 410lbs would be a much easier weight to manage as a step up from the 375lbs of the 250R. But almost 100lbs heavier than the Ninja... But if I went with the FZ6R it'd require 2 things: a) replace the ugly-ass one-piece silver handlebar, and find a 2010 model in black w/gold wheels.

I like the white model but it is definitely a girl's model since it has pink in the graphics which, of course, are covered by the clearcoat on the gas tank so they can't be peeled off, otherwise I'd look for a white one too.
Dude it's scary to say that what you've type was on my head. that's my plan. @ 25 (2 years) I'll upgrade to an fz6r then hopefully get the 600rr I also love the white but there's the pink accent(Hope it's just stickers) and I feel you the ugly ass bars has to go.

it's so damn cheap that I really want to get it, and knowing that it's not a super sport (arguably) is a + for me.

Old September 2nd, 2011, 02:26 PM   #16
OGjackafidy
ninjette.org member

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 250r

All 4 sell super sports

Old September 2nd, 2011, 02:31 PM   #17
rockNroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGjackafidy View Post
All 4 sell super sports
Negative. Red my post above.

Old September 2nd, 2011, 02:49 PM   #18
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

They are all just marketing descriptions, there is no agreed upon rule for what makes something a sportbike, a supersport, a superbike, a sport-touring, etc. It's all in how the marketing folks choose to describe their bike lineup.

Some folks wouldn't consider the 65 - 70 hp FZ6R a sportbike in the same vein as the highly strung track-focused 600's. Yamaha puts them in the same bucket on their website. Doesn't change a whit about the machines themselves.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 02:59 PM   #19
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

The FZ6R is one bada$$ bike. WHile the COG is higher than the 250, it's not as high as the Ninja 650, and the stock seat height is slightly lower. Good power through the rev range, and even the stock pipe sounds sexy. The motor is from a previous generation R6 (I think the 06-08 model) and was "detuned" to be more beginner friendly. It can totally get you into felony level speeds in very short order, just like the 650, and can hold its own against the "normal" SS bikes up to around 75. Or so I've "heard"
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 03:30 PM   #20
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Alex is correct the cable routing on the fazer blows! With that said it depends on what version you are looking at, the new fz6r (09 and up) are around 70-79 hp i believe. the older fz6 (notice the lack of r at the end) have two versions, fz6 and fz6 s2 with the fz6 s2 being the only one offered in the states. the fz6 has limiters on them and are for country's that have hp limits on licenses, the one sold here the s2 version (to tell the difference the s2 has an analog tach) has around 97 hp. It uses the 2003 version of the r6 engine. It is mapped to have very usable low end power at the expense of the high end but don't let that fool you. Its a bike that can get you into trouble, as when you hit that powerband at 7k **** gets real.

It is heavier and a bit higher then the ninja with a standard riding stance, Easy to control in traffic with very smooth power delivery. The 2005 and 2006 had some mapping issues with the 2007 and 2008 model years being the best of the lot. The non r versions are naked street fighter style bikes and the newer r version has full fairings. The s2 naked version is no longer offered in the states.

With that said i have a 2007 fz6 and i love it. while i was looking around at a 600cc bike i did pros and cons on all of them, It came down to the versys and the fazer line. I decided on those two as the versys had a better suspension then the 650r and seemed to be the better of the two. I didn't look at the sv as i don't like Suzuki too much. When i finally got to ride the versys i was very glad i had picked up the fazer. They are great bikes but remember its still an inline 4 engine with at least tripple the hp of the ninjette. It was a few months on my fazer before i started playing around with her in the power band too much.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 03:43 PM   #21
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Nope. Yamaha doesn't sell sports they sell super sports.
They absolutely do sell sport bikes. It's all marketing but if we're going to be using that as a measure of whether the FZ6R is a "sportbike" or "super sport", then I'll refer to this quote that was taken from the Yamaha Motor Canada website for the FZ6R:

"Somewhere between cruisers and supersport bikes exists a genre simply known as "sports" bikes. The FZ6R fits perfectly into the less intense sport bike world with its easy to control power, light weight and low seat height. " http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/...p=M#contentTop

Marketing material aside, we cannot realistically describe the FZ6R as being a super sport in the same vein as modern super sports today like the R6, ZX6R, GSXR 600 or CBR600. Totally different goals in mind here for the engineers who designed those machines.

One thing to keep in mind about seat height is that even though it is quite low, riders have described it as being wider than our 250 and many have had to lower the FZ6R to be able to flat foot. Compared to the 650, I'm assuming that the parallel twin gives the 650 a thinner feel compared to the inline 4 of the Yamaha. The FZ6R is a great possible step up bike though. Most owners have nothing but good things to say. The only criticisms I've really read or heard about it is that the suspension and brakes can be a bit soft when pushing it really hard in the twisties or track.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55671
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 06:00 PM   #22
rockNroll

The Yamaha site lists it as a Super Sport. I then called it a Super Sport and all you people jump in and say I'm wrong. I'm just going along with the manufacturer of the motorcycle, sorry about that.

Same with the other three brands, I didn't fabricate this stuff, I was going by the manufacturer's sites. I didn't realize they don't know this stuff.

Old September 2nd, 2011, 06:14 PM   #23
Havok
Internet Slut

Quote:
The Yamaha site lists it as a Super Sport. I then called it a Super Sport and all you people jump in and say I'm wrong. I'm just going along with the manufacturer of the motorcycle, sorry about that.

Dont worry about it, its too much trouble trying to keep them all straight as to what is what lol. Thing with the fazers are they are great street bikes. The balance between having such usable power at low speeds/rpms to having the arm pulling thrill of the 7k plus range makes them one bad ass middleweight bike.

You could do a lot worse then a fazer for your second bike. look around for a used 06-07 though. You will like the extra 20 hp and they sell fairing kits that fit and look good for them if its the looks of the fz6r that you like better. The engines on them are solid.

As for how tall it is, Sharon is quite short and when she was here and she sat on it she could all most flat foot the 07. The fz6r's say they have a narrower seat and that the height of the seat is adjustable if i remember correctly .

Old September 2nd, 2011, 06:23 PM   #24
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Seat height is adjustable with 3 different options I think and usually the listed seat height is at the lowest setting. Handlebars are also adjustable by two settings. As for the stock height, I remember reading a Motorcycle USA review on the FZ6R and the guy said it felt a little cramped and he was only about 5'6". Once he adjusted the seat to the second higher setting, it felt more comfortable. Individual results will differ of course.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 09:31 PM   #25
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

Quote:
It has adjustable seat height. 43mpg. $7500- not bad for a new super sport. Except for the huge, one piece casting containing both operator and passenger foot rests, it looks pretty nice.
Wow. Corrected the its not a super sport thing, then read the rest of the thread.
Deleted

Last futzed with by Clearlynotstefan; September 2nd, 2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Don't wanna be a douche
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 09:47 PM   #26
kaiserz

How well does the fz6r handle the twisties? compared to a 250 or a 600rr? if anyone has experience with this, please share.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 01:44 AM   #27
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

Quote:
How well does the fz6r handle the twisties? compared to a 250 or a 600rr? if anyone has experience with this, please share.
Decently, certainly not as good as either the 250 or 600rr.
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2011, 06:21 AM   #28
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearlynotstefan View Post
Decently, certainly not as good as either the 250 or 600rr.
+1
Ninjette handles a lot better. FZ6R is much porkier, not as exciting to ride.

This has all been discussed already in great details, search and you shall find.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2011, 06:48 AM   #29
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

Quote:
Nope. Yamaha doesn't sell sports they sell super sports. Kawasaki sells sport and supersport. Honda sells Sport Bikes but does not sell Super Sports. Suzuki sells Sportbikes, and like Honda, no Super sports. That's just the Big 4.
I don't want to derail the topic at hand, but are the CBR1000RR and GSXR1000 not considered Super Sports? How about Honda's RC51?
What would be classified as a Super Sport bike?

Old September 3rd, 2011, 07:12 AM   #30
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Green_Demon View Post
I don't want to derail the topic at hand, but are the CBR1000RR and GSXR1000 not considered Super Sports? How about Honda's RC51?

They are supersports. Generally your bikes that are homogulations of track bikes are supersports. Lots of power, low and swept CLIP ONS, high foot position, inverted forks, big brakes, adjustable suspension, etc. CBR1KRR, GSXR1K, R1, and yes the championship holding RC51 are all supersports.

You can toss it around all you want but the term is purely marketing, and usually applies to the above kinds of bikes. I honestly wouldn't call the FZ6R a SS, but it is a sport...just nekkid And I prefer to reserve adding the word super to anything at or near the liter mark.

I want to go check them out later today, taking the wife on a ride to a shop an hour or so from here so we can test fit bikes together and see how they feel two-up. Been looking lately but it's been a pain in the butt.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2011, 07:49 AM   #31
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Let's try to help clear this up. The basic idea of a "super sport" bike is a street legal race bike. So your basic bikes in this class are: ZX-6R, ZX-10R, GSXR600/750/1000, CBR600/1000, YZFR600/1000, and several others from the European makers. All these bikes were designed for racing and made legal for the streets.

The FZ6R however was NOT designed for racing. It falls in the same category as the Ninja 650R. It's more of a mid-size sport tourer/do-it-all type of bike. It's been detuned to make more low end torque for city riding. It's ergonomics are more upright like a sport-tourer for longer more relaxed rides. If you slap on some luggage and maybe wire in a plug or two for accessories, you would have a great mid-size sport-touring bike for long trips. Then you could also take off the luggage and do some spirited riding in the twisties. You could take it to the track, but it wouldn't really shine there cause that's not what it was really designed for.

Hope this helps a bit.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2011, 08:07 AM   #32
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Think I may be getting a fz6r next season as (hopefully) my 2nd bike. The only thing I would want to change immediately will be the handlebar. Other than that it had a better feel sitting on it then the 650R did, plus no banana seat.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2011, 09:00 AM   #33
rockNroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Green_Demon View Post
No, those bikes are not Super Sports. Honda and Suzuki build Sport Bikes and Sportbikes, no Super Sports by those brands. If you were to compete in a supersport (one word) class with one, you then could call that bike a supersport bike. If you were to compete in the Superbike class, you could then call it a superbike. Using the logic in most of the above posts, all these GSXR's, CBR's etc are superbikes, yeah? Yamaha calls the FZ6R a Super Sport bike... they call all their sport bikes Super Sport (two words). The FZ6R is not a sport tourer as mentioned above as Yamaha has a Sport Sport Touring section and the FZ6R is not in that section.

I have no problem with all these opinions, hell, until I started hanging in a Kawasaki forum (Kawasaki separates their sport bikes into two classes) they were all just Sport Bikes to me. That's what people call them in most the non-kawasaki based forums I frequent. So the opinions are all ok with me, call them whatever ya like, but don't dump on my statement, which are facts from the manufacturer's sites, with your opinions. They're just different terms/names to catagorize sport bikes. Kawasaki has elected to use two, to separate them.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 10:16 AM   #34
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
no offense to anyone, but who cares about marketing and what words like "supersport" actually represent? i have my own opinion about what terms like "stock" and "illegal" mean.
the fz6r (really all the fz bikes) are quick, comfy street bikes that do fine in twisties. what does it matter what it's called?

Old September 3rd, 2011, 05:08 PM   #35
Havok
Internet Slut

Quote:
They do just fine in the twisties, Honestly what type of riding do you do? If you are looking for a strictly canyon/fun bike then the 600rr would be the best choice. If you like to go everywhere on your bike, commute/errands all around town type of riding then the fazer would be the best choice. Its what it was designed for. I think Yamaha did the best job in the middleweight category for a street tuned sport bike.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 05:33 PM   #36
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
the entire line of fz bikes are great. also, they last forever.
Curious why you say this... how is it different then others?
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2011, 07:00 PM   #37
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i have a 19 year old fzr which is like almost the same thing... it's a tank. so is the yzf-600 thundercat, and so are the fz6 and fz6r

Old September 3rd, 2011, 08:14 PM   #38
Havok
Internet Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
Curious why you say this... how is it different then others?
mine is an 07 with 38k miles and starts and runs and has all the power as if it were new. Ken has an 03 with 42k miles or so and it runs like new, alex has an ancient one and while he has had some trouble with his, it was turned into a hard core race bike and rode hard as hell during its life span most bikes would be dead his is still solid. So yea, these Yamaha engines are pretty solid lol.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 08:52 PM   #39
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
almost40 seems to like his

Old September 4th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #40
kaiserz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
They do just fine in the twisties, Honestly what type of riding do you do? If you are looking for a strictly canyon/fun bike then the 600rr would be the best choice. If you like to go everywhere on your bike, commute/errands all around town type of riding then the fazer would be the best choice. Its what it was designed for. I think Yamaha did the best job in the middleweight category for a street tuned sport bike.
It's not gonne be a stictly a canyon/fun bike, I'm planning to use it to get around town, and to commute but I still want to go to the twisties every now and then. and thanks guys! I've learned a lot. I like the fz6r cause its cheap and reliable, I saw one for 4k the other day while the 600rr is around 6-7k. (But I still love my ninja and I'm not plannin to let go of it because of the awesome ninjette community )