ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 16th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #1
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

Oil Change

So I was attempting to do my first oil change ever (not just on this bike, but on any vehicle in general) and it was going well until I had to remove to bolt to get to the oil filter. That son of b does not want to come out. I consider myself to be in pretty good shape and I still can't get that bastard out. Any suggestions?
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #2
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Are you sure you're turning it the right way? Don't take that question the wrong way, just had to make sure that possibility is eliminated. The nut can be a bit stubborn. Use a hollow bar to fit over your wrench so that you get more leverage. That usually does the trick.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #3
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
Are you sure you're turning it the right way? Don't take that question the wrong way, just had to make sure that possibility is eliminated. The nut can be a bit stubborn. Use a hollow bar to fit over your wrench so that you get more leverage. That usually does the trick.
On that same note. If you're on the side of the kickstand, the wrench needs to be pulled towards the front of the bike. Be sure to put it on a rear stand and brace yourself carefully. It'll loosen. Sometimes the dealers will really get those things on tight. Use a wrench instead of a socket. Sockets tend to strip the bolts if it slips off.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
That's actually the first thing I checked haha.

Old July 16th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #5
kkim

then put a box wrench on it so it fits tightly and give the wrench end a good smack with a hammer to shock the bolt to initially loosen it.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #6
Honko
ninjette.org sage

I ended up taking the left side fairing off so I could manhandle the bolt without fear of punch and cracking my fairings when it finally came loose. The bolt came out and I got practice at removing ;the fairings for the first time

Old July 16th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #7
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honko View Post
I ended up taking the left side fairing off so I could manhandle the bolt without fear of punch and cracking my fairings when it finally came loose. The bolt came out and I got practice at removing ;the fairings for the first time
Congratz. First it's the oil then the fairings then the gas tank and then all of the sudden you find yourself messing with the carbs. One big insanely inevitable cycle. =) Goodluck.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #8
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Congratz. First it's the oil then the fairings then the gas tank and then all of the sudden you find yourself messing with the carbs. One big insanely inevitable cycle. =) Goodluck.
I must say, it feels pretty good to have done that myself . I'll probably be trying to mess with the carbs soon, since my area p exhaust is just sitting in my room waiting to be installed

Old July 16th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #9
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Thanks to Kelly for all the easy to follow DIY's to guide me through this.

Old July 17th, 2011, 12:45 AM   #10
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 08:58 AM   #11
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post

Insane is right