ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:12 AM   #1
FlamingYellowInsanity
Too sexy for roadrash

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250, 2007 Lance GS-R 150 (racing modified scooter), 1980 Honda CB750K project

Missing Shifts?

I got a quick question about the tranny. Every once in a while when I'm riding I'll go to shift, pull the clutch and hit the shifter, and it won't shift. It'll move, but not click, and when I let the clutch out, it is still in the same gear as before. Also, I've had it not shift into first when I was sitting at a stop light. Will this get better as it breaks in a bit more, or is there some trick to making it sure shift every time? I'm also thinking that a good, high quality oil may help these weird symptoms.

Maybe I just need to learn how to shift better and this is all just me!

Thanks!

Travis

Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:34 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Hi Travis -

I think your suggestion for some good new oil is a good one, you don't know how long that oil has been in the bike already (likely since new). All of my bikes shifted better after an oil change, and the ninjette is no different. What I'd also try is to adjust the clutch cable to make sure that when you are pulling the clutch lever the clutch is completely disengaging as it should.

Here's a link on how to adjust the clutch lever (it's a snap).

After you've done those two things, I'd concentrate on making sure that each shift you make is firm and positive, and see if the symptoms go away. You can also adjust the shift lever itself to put it in a comfortable place for your boot, so it's positioned just right for good shifts up and down. The ninjette transmissions are reasonably bulletproof, there is little talk of early failure on them and at 400 miles or so, there's no reason to believe yours is already broken in some way.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2008, 07:12 PM   #3
dw8
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingYellowInsanity View Post
I've had it not shift into first when I was sitting at a stop light.
Very common issue with the 250. If you rock the bike forwards and backwards a couple times, it will go into first.
dw8 is offline   Reply With Quote