ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Notices

Old May 26th, 2015, 04:00 AM   #41
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

I HATE when people give other riders **** for having chicken strips. If you only do street riding and have no chicken strips then that means you are a crazy mofo.

Old May 26th, 2015, 05:39 AM   #42
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Having awful body positioning is also an option for how street riders can get rid of chicken strips. Honestly I find it easier to use more of the tire on the streets, specifically the super twisties, than I do on the track due to laziness with BP and having to take lines that aren't as good due to having one lane to work with

Old May 26th, 2015, 12:40 PM   #43
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i think "turn in quickly" is more of a crutch for bad line assessment when charging a corner. "turn in late", is more correct IMO as it allows you more road where you will actually need it. turning in late does require actually turning in at a set point and not simply "looking where you want to go" and allowing some kind of magic to guide you through the turn which ... i guess could be what they mean by turn quickly... but there are times when you really need to crank the **** out of the bars. i've only needed to really put down a lot of force a few times on the street, and they were all lane splitting trying to avoid a car pulling out in front of me. seriously though i don't think what he says is correct. as quickly as possible? no. not on unknown asphalt. turn in with certainty. pick a correct line that will allow you the most room where you will need it
Here is the thing, if you turn in late as opposed to turning in early then you will NEED to know how to get the bike turned quickly. Can't exactly run deep into the corner and then expect to turn the bike at the same rate of speed as one might if they turned in a little early and slower.

We say at the Superbike School that you should turn the bike as quickly as possible for the given corner. This doesn't mean that you are slamming the bike over in every turn, it just means getting it done in the least amount of time.

The less time you spend TURNING your bike means the earlier you can get on the throttle to stabilize your bike, so get it done as soon as possible.

And I just want to clarify that turning the bike quickly doesn't mean HAMMERING on the bars as hard as you can every time. There are ways to be much more efficient with your turning so that you can get it done quickly with less effort.

Most people think that turning quickly means that you have to use excess force on the handlebars or shove on them longer but it actually means getting a quick and efficient push on the bars- you press harder not longer.

So, what are some ways you can more efficiently get the steering action done? what prevents people from turning the bike more quickly then they already do?

Misti
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 26th, 2015, 01:15 PM   #44
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i agree and its good for perfect traction. on the street you should assume you have 80% traction at best. you don't know the condition of the tarmac, you don't know exactly how cold your tires are (it varys a lot based on the tarmac you're riding on) that's why you don't see people dragging knee on the street (well... you dont see smart people dragging knee on the street). quick turn-in loads the front heavily. i actually just crashed on the track because of too much gas after a quick turn in like this. all i'm saying is "the most possible" is not correct at all. being smooth is a top priority. don't doddle, but as fast as possible ... not with street suspension. not with street tires. not on the street.
To keep things simple... a bike can only do two things, change directions or change speed. If you need more of one, you will have to take from the other, on the street or track.

If I feel where you're "really" coming from and assuming street speeds, your interpretation of using a quick flick to compensate for a misjudged line is a good one. Let's just not call it a "crutch", let's call it a tool. If a rider misjudges a turn in point (misjudged line most likely too), a quicker flick (faster rate of steering) can keep the bike out of the ditch mid corner or on exit.

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2015, 01:38 PM   #45
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
what about a medium turn that you keep it pinned on?

Old May 31st, 2015, 09:12 AM   #46
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
To keep things simple... a bike can only do two things, change directions or change speed.
I dunno, mine can do a third (crash spectacularly).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.