ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 21st, 2014, 07:42 PM   #1
Twitchy Stitch
I love lamp.

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja tooniftyAaaarrrr (250)

Something I noticed about my bike.

Alright so I thought it was just the way the bike is...either that or I wasn't warming it up enough but I've read up all I can about the issue...No matter how slowly I let out the clutch after Stopping it. It is almost always going to stall and when I do manage to get it going the rpm's go WAAAAAY lower than it should be going and from what I know my idle should be 1.5 to 2 rpms. It sounds like 'brup brup brup bruuup brup brup' when it goes until I give it gas. Now when I got the bike my friend noticed that there was something wrong with the idle. When you start it up and rev it, the rpms will shoot up and then stay there for a bit then slowly decrease and that's even with the choke all the way down. I've done all I can to get it going to where it won't stall on the first try and I've been riding it around for a few days now to the point where I'm pretty confident in riding it. I've given it gas while slowly letting the clutch out and I made sure to not throttle it too soon yet she still manages to stall out. It's really hard to get her going in first gear on the first try and I always thought it was rider error, maybe it is and I'm not pointing it out but I've been trying to practice it and even when I think I got it for sure right before I let the clutch all the way out it will still stall out.

Ask me anything to make this problem more clear because I can barely describe it myself.
Twitchy Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2014, 03:03 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchy Stitch View Post
.........Ask me anything to make this problem more clear because I can barely describe it myself.
1) You open the cockpit and the choke (pull that lever towards you).
2) You start the engine up.
3) Revs go high but you close the choke just a tiny bit to keep the revs under 3K.
4) You clutch in, twist the throttle and release the clutch slowly.
5) You ride away.
6) A few minutes later, you close that choke all the way forward.
7) At stops, with the gears in Neutral, the idle is stable around 1,3K ~ 1,6K (if not, you adjust the knob under your left leg.

If #5 is impossible, you need to add some Seafoam to the gasoline and give it time (riding time) to clean the passages of your carbs.
If Seafoam does nothing, then you will need to plan on opening your carbs for a good clean up.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2014, 03:58 PM   #3
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

You don't need to immediately rev the throttle as soon as it cranks. If you use the choke there is no need. If you don't use the choke a very tiny twist is good enough to get it going.

If the engine is cold when you start it, it will need to warm up a few minutes before you can pull off without it stalling, you may have to nurse thr throttle a bit. If you use the choke you can pull off with the choke on until the bike is warm and can maintain a steady idle on it's own.

To launch the bike you may want to slowly twist the throttle close to 3k RPMS while slowly releasing the clutch (if you do it smooth it won't jerk you). Throttle, brake and clutch management is a skill that will help you doing slow maneuvers. You will need to practice them, especially if you want to move the bike at just above idle speed.

The key is use the choke on a cold engine on start up until you get better with throttle management. Don't whack on the throttle when the engine is cold
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 04:24 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
partial pilot jet obstruction, idle too high to compensate causing the needle to open up a bit at "idle".