Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Cargo Space

Notices

Old August 11th, 2016, 05:13 AM   #1
ZeroGravity360
Just sittin on my stool..

Name: Amanda

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

cargo net?

so I bought a cargo net via the advice of a member here to store things. I cannot for the life of me figure out how it is supposed to hook to anything other than the passenger seat pegs?
Will it work when I get my seat cowl?
Has anyone had it damage their paint?
I want to vinyl wrap my bike AND Seat cowl, will it cause damage to the vinyl?
I want to eventually get a fender eliminator kit, can the cargo net still be used?
sorry for so many questions but I want to use it with out losing cargo LOL thats kind of the point :-/ It has a 3x3 hole and when I went to go test how stretchy it is, i fit my whole head through it!! ( dont ask xD) Will this allow my stuff to fall out? Does anyone know if they make ones with smaller holes? I only paid about $5 for it.
ZeroGravity360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2016, 05:26 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I have a net for my pregen and it works well because of the hooks on the tail of the bike. However, I don't use the net for the newgen because there isn't much to hook it to. Footpeg hangers and fender is about all you got. :\ And yes, they make nets of all shapes, sizes and hole size. And of course, if the holes are too large, the net can stretch even larger allowing stuff to fall off the bike.

As far as metal on painted or wrapped abs, yes... it will cause damage over time via rubbing vibration. What you can do is go to the hardware store and get some plastic tubing to put over the hooks.

Last futzed with by csmith12; August 11th, 2016 at 07:47 AM. Reason: spelling
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2016, 07:39 AM   #3
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Got a pillowcase, or sack? jam it full, tie the top and TaaDaaaaa instant sack too big to slip through the holes... On the cheap

Old August 11th, 2016, 08:58 AM   #4
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

My new gen has hooks under the tail. Some fender eliminators get rid of them, I specifically got one that didn't. IIRC, they're part of the turn signal brackets.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2016, 12:24 PM   #5
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0022ZXO40/ is the exact one I bought. The 500's tail is more like the PreGen's though - it's got brackets with cargo hooks and an older style wide fender that gives more places to hook onto.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2016, 12:26 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/moved to cargo space

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2016, 04:50 AM   #7
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Don't forget that the net may be stretchy enough to pull some of the hooks completely under the tail and fasten them to one another.

If you're at a loss for places to hook to, make some. For example, put a zip tie around each turn signal stalk but keep it loose and hook to that. Or use some thin rope/paracord. Get creative.

Personally, I'm not a fan of bungee nets or, for that matter, bungee cords. Because they're stretchy, in order to get cargo really secure you have to stretch to the limit. Might as well just use rope. I did have one of those nets early on but quickly concluded that it wasn't for me. The thing wound up in the corner of the garage somewhere. YMMV.

I now carry one of those very light stuffable backpacks in my tail for the rare occasion when, for example, I need to get a few groceries and don't have my regular backpack with me.

If it's too big to carry in the backpack, I take the car. If I'm traveling on the bike, I've got real luggage.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.

Last futzed with by adouglas; August 13th, 2016 at 04:52 AM.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2016, 12:11 AM   #8
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Another option you might consider is to make your own, as I did, kinda

Link,
Be nice to your mom, because....

I keep it in the tail under the seat for small items, if I'm going to be getting anything bigger I use the tank bag, and/or tailbag.

I have a backpack as well, but I'm not a fan of backpacks when riding.

Icon Squad 2 Mil Spec

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2017, 01:22 AM   #9
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity360 View Post
so I bought a cargo net via the advice of a member here to store things. I cannot for the life of me figure out how it is supposed to hook to anything other than the passenger seat pegs?
Will it work when I get my seat cowl?
Has anyone had it damage their paint?
I want to vinyl wrap my bike AND Seat cowl, will it cause damage to the vinyl?
I want to eventually get a fender eliminator kit, can the cargo net still be used?
sorry for so many questions but I want to use it with out losing cargo LOL thats kind of the point :-/ It has a 3x3 hole and when I went to go test how stretchy it is, i fit my whole head through it!! ( dont ask xD) Will this allow my stuff to fall out? Does anyone know if they make ones with smaller holes? I only paid about $5 for it.
I use a single carabiner to clip the edges of the cargo net together underneath the seat. I do not use any of the clips; in fact, I've removed the plastic clips from my cargo net. To "install" the cargo net, I basically lay the seat upside down in the middle of the cargo net, then just fold over all the corners to the center of the underside of the seat. Then I carabiner all of the edges together.

With my net, I have not had damage.

In the past, with thinner metal edge hooks, I have just linked them all together instead of using a carabiner. However, I could only find cheap plastic clip cargo nets when I was looking for my last one.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2017, 02:58 AM   #10
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
One time at band camp...