ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old January 19th, 2024, 03:22 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[cycleworld.com] - Ricky Brabec Wins Dakar Rally for the Second Time

Honda’s Ricky Brabec secured his second Dakar Rally win ahead of Hero Motorsports’ Ross Branch and Honda teammate Adrien Van Beveren.

Click here to view on their site.

Friends at the end: Ricky Brabec, Ross Branch, and Adrien Van Beveren celebrate the podium of the 2024 Dakar Rally. (MCH Photography/)Ricky Brabec, Ross Branch, and Adrien Van Beveren arrived at the Dakar Rally finish line together—standing up on their bikes, helmets raised to the sky, and big smiles on their faces. Three tough racers who survived the toughest rally in the world—three friends. This is the final postcard of the 2024 Dakar Rally: a very emotional image that embodies the spirit of this amazing sport.

With a 10-minute advantage in the overall standings on the eve of the final rush, Brabec was in full control—but there was one more stage to go: a final sprint of 175 kilometers (109 miles). At the finish of that timed section on the shore of the Red Sea, the Monster Energy Honda rider couldn’t hide his emotions. After a year of training and two tough weeks of racing, the Californian could finally be Ricky Brabec, a 32-year-old boy living his dreams. On his right Ross Branch, the Botswanan from Hero Motorsports who did not make it easy on Brabec till the very last stage. He gave it his all and arrived 10 minutes, 53 seconds back—after two weeks of racing. Third was Frenchman Van Beveren of the Monster Energy Honda squad, 12 minutes, 25 seconds behind the winner.

For Monster Energy Honda, Dakar was a great success: two riders on the podium, and if it was not for Nacho Cornejo’s suffering technical problems (the fuel pump) on the last two stages, it might have been an historical triple podium.

Ricky Brabec: Double Dakar Winner

Winning is difficult, repeating is even harder. How do you feel?

“I’m really happy to be here, it’s difficult to describe this feeling with words. The first win in 2020 was special as every first time. I was also the first American to make it. We had a bigger advantage (in 2020), while this time it was a tight duel till the end between me and Ross [Branch] but also my teammates Nacho [Cornejo] and Adrien [Van Beveren].”

Brabec maintained his lead on the last day of the Dakar, winning his second overall title. (MCH Photography/)I guess it was very emotional crossing the finish line?

“The last 10 kilometers [6 miles] gave me a chill the whole time. I was really happy—I made it to the finish line. It was emotional. My body was shaking. I haven’t been nervous these last few days, I knew I had to hold myself together because the final sprint would not have been easy. You need to finish the race before celebrating.”

What was your first thought?

“I thought about all the hard work I have done to arrive here. This victory is dedicated to myself and then the whole team and my mechanic Carlos. He has done countless Dakars, and has helped me a lot with his huge experience. So this victory is also dedicated to him.”

You won in style, surrounded by friends.

“It’s true. This is the Dakar family. With Ross, we had an incredible duel. I’m happy for my teammate Adrien. It would have been great to have Nacho too.”

Brabec will add another Tuareg trophy to his growing collection. (MCH Photography/)Where will you put the Tuareg?

“Next to my other two: the victory in 2020 and the second place. They are next to the TV so it’s the first thing I see in the morning when I wake up.”

What will you do once back home?

“I don’t know, I haven’t had the time to think about that. I don’t have any plans. Maybe just go out riding dirt bikes!”

Ross Branch: A Winner Nonetheless

Hero Motorsports versus Honda HRC is very much David versus Goliath. Branch won two stages and led for four. Regardless of his runner-up result, he won fans with his speed, consistency, and a unique and contagious positive attitude.

How do you feel?

“I’m really happy. It’s one of the best days of my life! We worked hard, this rally. It was tough and we had some challenges along the way. We led, we won some stages, but all in all Ricky was better than me, and I can only show my respect for Ricky. He deserved to win. Now I know what I have to work on once back home for the next 11 months. The Hero team is amazing and I’m happy to give them a good result.”

Branch finished second overall, gaining fans with his underdog performance. (MCH Photography/)Now what is the challenge?

“The challenge is to better myself and come back stronger next year.”

Where did you struggle the most?

“I think I lacked a bit of self-confidence in the camel grass and some self-confidence in the navigation. I will work on that.”

Is there anything you regret?

“Nothing at all. I tried hard.”

What a podium finish among friends!

“Yes, it was great to be there with Ricky and Adrien. We are friends. Actually the whole bivouac is a family. We race each other very hard, but we are super friends. My thoughts also to my teammates, hopefully we are all together at the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge.”

Branch fought to the end as the lone Hero Motorsports rider left in the rally. (MCH Photography/)Adrien Van Beveren: A Well-Deserved Podium

Adrien Van Beveren has finally secured his first podium finish of his Dakar career after two finishes just outside the top three.

How do you feel?

“After the last years and the difficulties I had—the crashes, all of that—overall, to be on the podium, finally, on the podium of the Dakar, it tastes really good. I’ve been fighting until the end. We finished third, but we were in the fight for victory. We are closer than ever to the dream. To step onto the podium is a step toward my dream of victory.”

Van Beveren's podium finish at Dakar 2024 puts him one step closer to his goal of winning the overall in the future. (MCH Photography/)Do you have some regrets?

“I have no regrets, I gave it my all at every moment. It feels good to be on the podium. I fought for it right to the end, and that’s what I’m going to keep in mind so that I can continue to live my dream. I just realized—I was in Ricky’s dust right up to the end. I have to appreciate this moment. It’s been years of hard work—of questioning myself especially after big incidents.

“Nothing to regret. I train hard; I try to be better every day, to keep my dream alive. It’s not a free third place, I fought hard and went for it.”

How do you feel with the new Honda bike?

“This Honda really gives me a lot of confidence; I’m capable of winning on any type of terrain, even in rocky terrain. I’m proud of my work and I want to thank the Japanese for all their support. Even after Morocco, they made further adjustments to meet my requests. We are a great team!”

Van Beveren celebrates with some tire smoke at the finish of the Dakar Rally 2024. (MCH Photography/)The end of a Dakar is always emotional.

“Being here is huge. It was necessary to take this step to perhaps climb the last two steps. Looking back I can say it gave me a good mark. I feel I did very well, but I was not the best strategically. I opened 7, the most complicated to open, where the first 50 kilometers [31 miles] were hell.