Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old February 29th, 2016, 11:43 AM   #1
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
2-up through central California - 2/27/16

For those who don't know, last month I had carpal tunnel release surgery done on my left hand.

Since then, I've just been slacking off and hanging out with my kitty kat, but the beautiful weather lately has been driving me nuts. Everyone else is out riding and I can't! Well, I probably could if I had an automatic or just felt like puttering around in first gear, but what fun is that?

For me, I've always been the pilot. The thought of trusting another person to be in control sent the hairs on the back of my neck upright. Backseat driving from a car is one thing, but I worried the screaming urge to control the bike if I got nervous would result in me ejecting the pilot and just taking over myself. I'm hesitant enough as it is to agree to join other riders routinely for a fun run around the mountains, but letting go and just riding? Nuh uh! (Don't get my wrong, I'll always be glad to lead groups or join up with other riders but there is a subtle difference in attention level and stress when riding with those I don't know well and those I trust unconditionally.)

Of all folks I've ridden with, only three riders are so similar to me in riding styles that day or night I would ride with them in a heart beat. I feel comfortable around them and trust their abilities that all my attention and focus is on my riding. Out of them, only one came to mind to ask for a worry free first time pillion ride. To my knowledge, I've not been on the back seat of a motorcycle before though my stepdad says I rode on his Yamaha when I was really little. Given my failing memory, that may be true. But I wanted to go on a ride. So I called my friend, Greg, up and asked (begged) him if he would take me out on a bike ride.

He said yes!

Meeting up with Greg, I got some quick pointers on how to get on and off - that just turned out to be exactly the same as I mount my bike anyway since I use the peg to step up and over my tailbag. No biggie there. He also told me that because I know how to ride, I shouldn't worry about upsetting him or the bike if I need to move around to be more comfortable. He explained I already know how a bike moves and responds to someone moving around and besides he'll feel it if I move and control the bike to balance everything.

Meet his dance partner, the big German girl. BMW K1200LT

Despite him telling me to just relax, my brain was constantly repeating "Don't move, don't move, don't move" or "look over the inside shoulder" or other snippets that I've read or heard from riders to new passengers. The first few miles was a long gravel road, so I had a good while to sit and get used to not controlling the bike. Greg is smooth and steady so it felt more like being on a roller coaster, the bike was going to go where it was and I couldn't do a thing about it. Unlike my fears though, I wasn't freaking out over wanting to grab the handlebars, it just was what it was. Again, the whole trust thing.

It was novel to be able to talk to someone while riding behind a huge windscreen. WOW what a difference that barn door makes in noise level!

Once on pavement, we took the roads he had led me on before so I knew kind of where we were. I found looking over his left shoulder was perfect for me so had a clear view of the road ahead on straights or left turns, but got a back of the helmet view on right hand turns. There was enough room between us I had the choice of leaning back against the back rest or leaning slightly forward to sit more like I am used to. With my feet straight down and that ability to sit normal, I was super comfortable all day.

After the short ride around the neighborhood, we stopped for gas and to make a plan. I just wanted curves and someplace to enjoy the novelty of watching the scenery go by. Spring has sprung in the Sacramento valley of California so Greg made a plan of going along the old roads by the 19th century farms and ranches, where the orchards were beginning to bloom and the baby animals were out enjoying the warm weather. We saw lots of pink and white blooms on the fruit trees, bright green leaves on the willows, and happy yellow flowers along the roads. The pastures had lambs, calves, and colts running around with the older animals grazing on the new grass. We even saw a ton of cats out and about, something I had fun with since I could watch them as we went by. That was the coolest!

I had also spotted a few twisty roads that looked fun on the map. One was Dog Bar Road so Greg took us over there and gave me a nice wandering road to play on. One of the biggest reasons I enjoy riding with him is the constant steady speed. Straights, into a corner, or coming out, the speed remained the same, adjusting of course to conditions. On the Ninja that is how I love riding, I don't like the rocketing towards a corner and slamming the brakes just before the turn, only to blast out again. Too exhausting! I love setting a speed and maintaining it throughout the ride.

If you watch my traffic free ride up Geiger Grade video, you'll see what I mean. I left the music off so you could hear I don't shift or vary my speed much.

Eventually we got out into wide open pastures. I was loving being able to look out over the rolling hills and see the vast lands these ranchers used for their herds. Certainly not an area of California I'd really seen before. The difference between being focused on the road and being able to look out. I loved the landscape around Beale Air Force Base, especially along Hammonton Smartsville Rd, where the rolling hills of grass were broken by blades of slate or shale piecing out of the ground.

Heading back to his place, I was extremely happy. I got my throttle therapy without touching the throttle and got to experience riding pillion for the first time and being able to fully appreciate it. Ended the day with the three of us all going out to late lunch before I headed back over the hill. It has been a great day!

Plus I got a motorcycle ride in for February, continuing my streak of riding every month since rebuilding the bike back in 2012. Hahaha, take that Doctor! I so can too ride!

Link to original page on YouTube.

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.

Last futzed with by NevadaWolf; February 29th, 2016 at 04:51 PM.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old February 29th, 2016, 04:52 PM   #2
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Fixed the busted photo links. Stupid Google.

Anyone know how to get the pic URL from Google Photo without relying on Picasa or am I basically forced to use another host?

Old February 29th, 2016, 05:04 PM   #3
Geezer-60
ninjette.org member

Name: A.P.

Motorcycle(s): 2007 BMW F800s, Former 2011 Ninja 250r

I hope you're of the DL soon! Best wishes!

Old February 29th, 2016, 06:40 PM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Thanks.

Old February 29th, 2016, 07:25 PM   #5
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

I was just tooling around 193 yesterday. The weather was so nice I couldn't resist.

Hope your wrist heals up nicely. My wrist was also bothering me after a ride to SF. Having to split on 101/37/80 because of constant stop and go was also not so fun.
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2016, 05:32 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Good solution for riding before full recovery.
I thank you both for taking me in the tour around Cali.
I would take you for a safe and smooth ride as well, but I am too far East.

My best wishes for a full and speedy recovery of your surgery !!!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2016, 12:22 AM   #7
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Heal up! I'm glad you were able to find a pilot you trust.

CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2016, 01:54 AM   #8
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
a biker will always be a biker.

Carpal tunnel or not.

Take that doctor!

Old March 5th, 2016, 06:54 PM   #9
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu_Mishary View Post