ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 5th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #1
Davis937
ninjette.org member

Name: Rollo

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250r (silver)

Looks like I may be able to buy a 2007 ninja 250r ...

I apologize if this isn't the right spot for this post ... Anyway, I have an opportunity to purchase a 2007 ninja 250r. Was wondering if any of you have any opinions / comments (positive or negative) regarding the 2007 model. Yeah, this will be my first ninja. Appreciate your assistance with this ... and ... thanks in advance for your comments ... and time!

Last futzed with by Davis937; April 7th, 2011 at 03:06 AM.
Davis937 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2011, 11:54 PM   #2
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Dude, it's a Ninja 250 and this is a Ninja 250 forum! We may be biased! Great bikes. I have only ridden the new-gen (08-up) but from what I know about the pre-gen (07-earlier) they are every bit as a great a motorcycle. You really can't go wrong with these bikes.

What is the price of the bike? Mileage and general condition of the vehicle? It all matters when deciding if you are making a good purchase, regardless of what you buy.

Have you ever ridden before? If so, how long? It is more than likely a good idea to take an MSF if you haven't yet.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 07:55 AM   #3
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Welcome...

It's a Ninja...
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #4
utahninja
Ride Smart, Ride Safe

Name: Chuck

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2006 Yamati 150cc Scooter

I love my 2007! I hope it is a silver one, as they are fastest.

Give more details on the bike so everyone here can give you advice on if it is a good buy.

Old April 6th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #5
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

A lot depends on the mielage, maintenance and condition of the bike. While fully modded may seem best, closer to bone stock is actually better. They also tend to have a lower "value" in the mind of a seller.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #6
nakedhunter
ninjette.org member

Name: Naked

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (RED)

I just sold my 2002 and bought a 2009. As far as riding the gen 3 pretty much rides the same as the gen 4, but for cosmetic enjoyment the gen 4 is pretty sweet - I don't know if that was worth the 2 and a half times the price I paid for 2009. 2007 was last of the gen 3 and would typically be fairly less expensive from gen 4 2008, well over a 1 year depreciation value normally but still would ride like a ninja. If the price and condition is good and you just want to riiiide I would suggest having fun on the 2007 250. If you are wondering more about size... I started off with an interceptor 500 back around 1985-86 moved up to a ninja 600 and now I ride a 250 - I learned my lesson after crashing both of those and the 250 does great for me and I feel much more comfortable on it.
nakedhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #7
M
ninjette.org member

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 x2, Ninja 650R

The '88-07 models are essentially the same for twenty years. There have been a few minor changes, that are interchangeable between model years except for the wiring harness/ECU changes in '94.

The 250 is a reliable bike that can withstand a lot of abuse. They're easy, and inexpensive to maintain.

Old April 6th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #8
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

I love my 2007...in my *ahem* totally unbiased opinion, it's the best Ninja!

Old April 6th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #9
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
I love my 2007...in my *ahem* totally unbiased opinion, it's the best Ninja!
I'd have to agree
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 03:00 AM   #10
Davis937
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all your comments ...

Hey ... just want to shout out a warm and appreciative "Thank You" for all of the comments and suggestions! Well, I picked up the bike today (... sellers were really nice!). I saw the ad on Craigslist ... they were asking $2,300 for the 2007 ninja 250r and listed the mileage as 1,121. Well, the bike was in even better condition than I anticipated ... owners took good care of the baby. I guess the husband bought the bike for his wife, but she no longer is interested in riding (gets freaked out in traffic ... don't we all). I ended up paying $1,900 for the bike which I thought was a pretty fair price. Some background on myself: took the MSF course this past December (... damn box was a killer, no?) and got my license the day after I received the MSF certificate. My current bike is a 2007 Yamaha Virago 250 (which I will need to sell). One of the reasons I switched over to the ninja is because of all of the mechanical problems I was experiencing with the Virago (carburator, fuel valve, fuel line, etc). Bike spent more time in the shop than in my garage. Also, the Virago was really straining at 50 mph ... very slow off the line (although the 75 mpg was certainly appreciated). Someone mentioned the silver 2007 ninja -- yeah, I have the same bike (with the red flame). I didn't realize that the silver model had a little more power. Anyway, my little ninja baby is awesome ... it "handles" a lot better than the Virago and is much more nimble, brakes are more responsive, up-shifting and down-shifting has been really smooth, and it takes corners much more nicely than the Virago (man, cornering on the ninja is loads of fun). I like the added horse power (Ninja is at 37.4 HP vs. Virago at 21). The ninja doesn't really whine and strain until 65 mph (vs. 50 mph for my Virago). Essentially, the Ninja is a bike that's a lot more fun for me, and I definitely feel more comfortable on it. Hey, I'm getting more looks from the ladies with the ninja ... Thanks again, everyone! I'm really happy to be part of the ninja community!

Old April 7th, 2011, 05:35 AM   #11
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): "Blanka" 07' Ninja 250

hope it's a black 07'.... not cause I own one too and am totally biased as well or anything.. Cough cough.
Mekkakat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 08:01 AM   #12
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Look into a 15t sprocket... It makes a world of a difference...
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #13
GeorgiaHooligan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Aaron

I likes mine too. I love the Muzzy setup, stock pipe sounds weak.
GeorgiaHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #14
Davis937
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasko View Post
Look into a 15t sprocket... It makes a world of a difference...
Hey Yasko ... I'm pretty clueless technically / mechanically ... what will the 15t sprocket do for my bike? Can I get my mechanic to do the switch? Thanks!

Old April 7th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #15
Davis937
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahninja View Post
I love my 2007! I hope it is a silver one, as they are fastest.

Give more details on the bike so everyone here can give you advice on if it is a good buy.
Hey Utah ... were you just joking about the silver 2007 ninjas being the fastest? Initially, I didn't like the silver color ... but ... it's grown on me. Unfortunately, not too crazy about the red flame design on the fairing!

Old April 7th, 2011, 10:34 PM   #16
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis937 View Post
Hey Utah ... were you just joking about the silver 2007 ninjas being the fastest? Initially, I didn't like the silver color ... but ... it's grown on me. Unfortunately, not too crazy about the red flame design on the fairing!
Of course he's joking... the green ones are the fastest... everyone knows that.

flames on the fairings can be removed easily. heat them up with a heat gun set on low and just peel them off. any decals on the tank cannot be removed as they are clear coated.

btw, your ninja doesn't put out 37.4 HP, no matter what you've been told or read.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #17
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Kelly, the new-gen green ones are the fastest, of the new-gens. Silver pre-gen 250's are obviously faster

Rollo, welcome to the club. Enjoy your new bike.

Taking the stickers off equates to at least one or two horse power.

Jeff

Old April 7th, 2011, 11:04 PM   #18
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
Kelly, the new-gen green ones are the fastest, of the new-gens. Silver pre-gen 250's are obviously faster
no... no... I'm sure the green pregens are the fastest, too.

Old April 7th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #19
Davis937
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post

flames on the fairings can be removed easily. heat them up with a heat gun set on low and just peel them off. any decals on the tank cannot be removed as they are clear coated.

btw, your ninja doesn't put out 37.4 HP, no matter what you've been told or read.
Hey Kim ... Aloha ... and thanks for the information. So, in your estimation how much HP does the 2007 250r get (I'm sure it's still more than I was getting on my Yamaha).

Old April 7th, 2011, 11:51 PM   #20
Davis937
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post

Rollo, welcome to the club. Enjoy your new bike.

Taking the stickers off equates to at least one or two horse power.

Jeff
... thanks, Jeff! And, yes, I could use an extra one or two HP!

Old April 7th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #21
Davis937
ninjette.org member

Quote:

... sorry, Kel, I called you Kim. My oldest daughter's name is Kelley ... so ... I'm partial to your name!

Old April 7th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #22
kkim

a stock 250 gets about 24-25HP at the rear wheel, according to the dyno charts I've seen... or roughly 30-32 hp at the crank, as Kawasaki measures it, anyway.

there are ways to make the bike a lot more user friendly if you think you need a bit more torque off the bottom end.

I hope you're fully geared up and have taken the MSF course? Oahu traffic is just a nightmare.

ride safe, have fun.

Old April 7th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #23
ungluck
sleeper

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '10 690 duke

you should be making roughly 24 horse power at the rear wheel :]

i would honestly do the rear sprocket instead of the front, go with a 45 rear..it will look cool and do the saem as the 15 front :]
ungluck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2011, 11:57 PM   #24
kkim

Quote:
... sorry, Kel, I called you Kim. My oldest daughter's name is Kelley ... so ... I'm partial to your name!
np... I'm used to it.

much better than some other names I've been called!

Old April 8th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #25
Davis937
ninjette.org member

Quote:
np... I'm used to it.

... whoops ... no disrespect intended when I mentioned that my daughter is named Kelley ... it just dawned on me that you're a guy! I have the same problem with the names: Loren/Lauren and Robin ... sorry!

Old April 8th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #26
Davis937
ninjette.org member

High beam ... low beam

Quote:
np... I'm used to it.

Kelly: you seem like a pretty experienced rider. What's the protocol or correct practice ... some riders use low beam ... others ... use high beam to get the attention of car drivers. What do you recommend?

Old April 8th, 2011, 01:31 AM   #27
kkim

Quote:
Kelly: you seem like a pretty experienced rider. What's the protocol or correct practice ... some riders use low beam ... others ... use high beam to get the attention of car drivers. What do you recommend?
That question came up the Advanced Rider MSF course I took a few years ago. The instructors recommended to always use your high beams during the daytime for more rider visibility to the cars around you.

I cannot stress how important it is that you keep attentive when you ride a bike, but you should already know that as you've been riding a bike on Oahu prior to the ninja, correct? Excuse me if I asked this already, but have you taken the MSF course? If not, sign up for one ASAP. I rode for over 40 years before I took my first MSF course and although I thought I wouldn't learn much taking it, I was wrong. The course really helps to put your head in the correct frame of mind before each and every ride on a bike. Highly recommended.

Old April 8th, 2011, 01:37 AM   #28
Davis937
ninjette.org member

Quote:
That question came up the Advanced Rider MSF course I took a few years ago. The instructors recommended to always use your high beams during the daytime for more rider visibility to the cars around you.

I cannot stress how important it is that you keep attentive when you ride a bike, but you should already know that as you've been riding a bike on Oahu prior to the ninja, correct? Excuse me if I asked this already, but have you taken the MSF course? If not, sign up for one ASAP. I rode for over 40 years before I took my first MSF course and although I thought I wouldn't learn much taking it, I was wrong. The course really helps to put your head in the correct frame of mind before each and every ride on a bike. Highly recommended.
Thanks Kelly ... good information. Yes, took the MSF course this past December and got my license a couple of days after that. Yeah, the course was outstanding. I'm definitely a newbie so I'll keeps my ears open and receptive to good information and tips from experienced riders like yourself. Mahalo!

Old April 8th, 2011, 01:50 AM   #29
kkim

great! think back to what you learned during that course and try to apply it to your riding now.

One of the best things you can do to gain more confidence with your bike is to find a big empty parking lot and rerun the drills they had you do during the course until you feel comfortable doing them. Learning to control the bike is key. Confidence and speed will follow once you learn how to control the bike and are comfortable doing it.

also, learn to work on your bike and do try to do your own maintenance and checks.Once you learn how things work, they don't seem so mysterious anymore, plus you'll save money.

Old April 8th, 2011, 02:53 AM   #30
Davis937
ninjette.org member

Quote:
great! think back to what you learned during that course and try to apply it to your riding now.

One of the best things you can do to gain more confidence with your bike is to find a big empty parking lot and rerun the drills they had you do during the course until you feel comfortable doing them. Learning to control the bike is key. Confidence and speed will follow once you learn how to control the bike and are comfortable doing it.

also, learn to work on your bike and do try to do your own maintenance and checks.Once you learn how things work, they don't seem so mysterious anymore, plus you'll save money.
... thanks for the sound advice. Mahalo!

Old April 8th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #31
utahninja
Ride Smart, Ride Safe

Name: Chuck

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2006 Yamati 150cc Scooter

Quote:
... thanks, Jeff! And, yes, I could use an extra one or two HP!
I think Jeff meant that you will lose one or two HP if you remove the flames. The red flames are good for two HP, one HP for each side of the bike with the flame decals.

Enjoy the bike and practice, practice, practice!