ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 28th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #1
JoeLansing
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): Green 2011 SE 52yo Geezer

Light Modulators

So now that http://www.nocutmodulators.com seems to be gone. Is there an alternative? That's for the rear. I've wired up Kisan Pathblazers twice. But that was on cruisers with one light. My booger green 2011 250R has 2 headlights? WTF? I picked it up today and I like it a lot! Safety is #1, I want modulators. But I'd love to find something simple for less than the $150 I'd pay for Kisan Tech ones. I did search on here, but it mostly turned up the Dearly Departed http://www.nocutmodulators.com stuff

- Joe
JoeLansing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

The "nocutmodulators" were for the brakelights, not a headlight modulator. Which are you looking for, headlights or taillights?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 02:14 AM   #3
MysterioX
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250 Ninja

I am too will be shopping for a replacement brake light modulator and need suggestions for a reliable but adequately priced unit.

TO OP:

1) Which modulator are you looking for: headlight or brake light?

2) What's your price range?
MysterioX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 08:34 AM   #4
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

It sounds like you're talking about a Headlight modulator. I've got a Kisan. Love it.

It really helps the cagers notice me: it stops the soccer moms from whipping their SUVs into virtually-instantaneous, cell-phone-talking, multi-lane left turns in front of me and it stops people from pulling those kamikaze-quick "well, it was clear yesterday" entries from side roads. There's nothing like seeing them suddenly see me (or at least the pulsing light) and jam on their brakes.

I guess the reason the Kisan costs what it does is because they're as close to "plug and play" as you can get, with the only modification work required being that you've got to find a place for the daylight sensor.

Some smart guy at Kisan will have already figured out the electronics of your 2011 and it'll work perfectly with the bike's lighting rocker-switch: steady light in both low-beam and high-beam setting at night, steady light in day while in low-beam and the modulated (pulsed) while in high-beam during daytime. Who cares which of your two lights does the pulsing as long as it's happening. So you don't have to think, "My booger green 2011 250R has 2 headlights? WTF?"
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 09:25 AM   #5
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

I've used the Comagination headlight/taillight modulator on my cruisers as well:

http://www.comagination.com/modKawasaki.htm

I actually have a brakelight one on my Connie, but the headlight went with my cruiser I sold. I miss it. We had it rigged up to the highbeam, when the highbeam was on it flashed unless you went through a tunnel or somewhere that wasnt sunny. There is a little wire that hangs out of the modular to detect sunlight, no sun, no flashy. Really liked it.
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 03:09 PM   #6
JoeLansing
ninjette.org member

I want headlight and tail light ones. I've installed Kisan Pathblazers and Tailblazers on a Vulcan 500 and a Shadow 1100. Both headlight installs I had to drill a hole in the top of the headlight housing to mount the sensor. I'm fishing around for something a bit less painful and cheaper this time. Tailblazers are about $60, I can do that. It's the headlight I'm thinking there is room for improvement. Either in cost, or not having to drill holes in my bike.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:50 PM   #7
NathanF
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 V-Strom 650 ABS

Just installed the Comagination modulator a week or so ago, and I love it. Took about 15 min to install, and seems to really increase my visibility. I went with model: VisiPath Headlight Modulator 115 watts H4 plug sS115H4. It was plug and play with my 2009 Ninja.

As for the brake flasher, I went with this, since I wanted to be able to program it: http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/index...917be101cf9259 It has 37 modes, so you can really get it just like you want it.

I then wired it up with this to make my own no-cut solution, since I didn't want to cut any of the wiring harness: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0652&viewitem= So it ended up being plug and play too...after about 45 min of wiring / soldering.
NathanF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:22 PM   #8
JoeLansing
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanF View Post
Just installed the Comagination modulator a week or so ago, and I love it. Took about 15 min to install, and seems to really increase my visibility. I went with model: VisiPath Headlight Modulator 115 watts H4 plug sS115H4. It was plug and play with my 2009 Ninja.
I thought Newgen took H7 bulb?

- Joe

Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:48 PM   #9
NathanF
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 V-Strom 650 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLansing View Post
I thought Newgen took H7 bulb?

- Joe
It does, but the wiring harness is H4 with a built in adapter from the factory. So it takes H4-based no-cut modulators.
NathanF is offline   Reply With Quote