ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Group Rides and Local Events

Old June 11th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #1
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250(Cafe/fighter project)

Good mechanics/ shops in the NoVA/ southern MD area

Like the title stipulates, looking for a good and affordable mechanic in the NoVA or southern to mid MD area, got my engine back( finally), is now rebuilt but still has a timing issue, my current mechanic gave up and recommended to have a second set of eyes look at it, and I agree. I heard about RnR cycles but I'm wary about their cost and other tomfoolery( rounding up labour hours, etc), so i'm humbly pleading to the mass amount of knowledgeable people in here, please if you know someone good and affordable, please let me know.

Alex, I assumed this is tech talk, but if it is on the wrong section, please do not hesitate on moving it( with my apologies of course).

To everyone: thanks in advance for the info, you guys sure are quite the bunch and it makes me glad to know every single one of ya. I apologize for the length of this post and the needy tone, but I'm surely at the end of my rope with miles to go, only thing that has kept me going with this project is your overall support and for that I thank ya.

TL;DR: need help looking up a good affordable mechanic in the area, you got some? please leme know, and thanks.

Edit:Thank you alex for the move.

Last futzed with by cerberusrex25; June 22nd, 2012 at 04:21 PM.
cerberusrex25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Haven't seen much movement on this thread where it is, maybe if I put it into the local area more people will see it?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2012, 01:51 AM   #3
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 + many others!

Timing issue ? You mean cam timing I assume ?
Not difficult, I did mine last year, as long as you have a factory manual, (or perhaps the description is on the 250r site).
Cams are identical, just need to line then up with the marks according to which one is ex and in. Then set the crank and cams per the instructions. You can do it yourself in less than an hour.
Or is your issue more complicated ?
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2012, 04:23 PM   #4
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250(Cafe/fighter project)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
Timing issue ? You mean cam timing I assume ?
Not difficult, I did mine last year, as long as you have a factory manual, (or perhaps the description is on the 250r site).
Cams are identical, just need to line then up with the marks according to which one is ex and in. Then set the crank and cams per the instructions. You can do it yourself in less than an hour.
Or is your issue more complicated ?
Yes it is more complicated, because said marks are where they should be but when it is supposed to go to Top dead center, piston one comes up and a valve comes down and they hit. I have already talked to 2 mechanics and gotten a feel and estimates. I am in the process of just making y peace with this project and letting it go. Is not financially viable anymore. expect a sale thread soon.
cerberusrex25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2012, 11:00 PM   #5
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 + many others!

Could you post some pics of the cams and cam wheels so we can see the marks ? I would have thought it unlikely that you had non-standard cams, so shouldn't be a problem.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote