ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old September 20th, 2019, 12:09 PM   #1
lroedal
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Lars

Motorcycle(s): 250r

08' 250r EFI does not start

I have an 08' 250r with injection that was running when I parked it three weeks ago. When it was parked I took off various covers for cleaning, the battery was taken out etc, and it was put back together. The last weeks we have had horrible weather, and as I have no garage where I live now the bike has been left out in the rain.

When trying to start it a few days ago, it would not start. The starter cranks, but the bike shows no signs of starting. Not sure what could be the cause of it, or where to start trouble shooting. The bike went on the side a few years ago, so I basically have no plastics except for the back of the bike, and the only instrument is a speedo. Also, the sensor for the stand broke a year ago, so I shorted the wire for this, so this should not be the reason it is not starting.
lroedal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2019, 01:06 PM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I'd start by making sure the battery is fully charged.

Try cranking while slowly opening the throttle.

Check for water in the plug holes. If that's all good, start checking electrical connections and fuses.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2019, 01:18 PM   #3
lroedal
ninjette.org newbie

All lights are fully on after trying to crank though, and it wouldn't start when I tried to push-start it either. Will try to charge the battery though, couldn't hurt! The trottle is tried. How do I remove the spark plugs on this one though? The plastic covers for the plugs looks like they will break if I use force, and they are really stuck. :/

Old September 20th, 2019, 01:48 PM   #4
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Pull straight up on spark-plug connectors (in direction of cylinder slant). Might take some force as rubber seal can stick to engine.

Measure all interlock switches and verify their state (open/closed):

- run/kill switch
- clutch switch
- sidestand switch
- neutral switch
- all wiring in between these switches and diodes

These are part of AND/OR logic test that tells ECU if it's safe to run engine. If a single component is incorrect, engine won't start. Starter circuit is separate and independent from EFI system.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2019, 01:54 PM   #5
lroedal
ninjette.org newbie

Will the starter still crank if one of these are off? The run/kill is disengaged at least, and the sidestand switch is removed (there is a wire between the two connectors). The bike is in neutral, but how can I check the clutch switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Pull straight up on spark-plug connectors (in direction of cylinder slant). Might take some force as rubber seal can stick to engine.

Measure all interlock switches and verify their state (open/closed):

- run/kill switch
- clutch switch
- sidestand switch
- neutral switch
- all wiring in between these switches and diodes

These are part of AND/OR logic test that tells ECU if it's safe to run engine. If a single component is incorrect, engine won't start. Starter circuit is separate and independent from EFI system.

Old September 23rd, 2019, 11:27 AM   #6
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): Current machines- 1992 SECA II 600, 2006 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250

Typically, if any of the safety circuits are open, the starter will not engage. But yours is cranking. So with that in mind...

Do you hear/feel any compression , or egagement when thumbing the starter? If so, it could be battery, plugs, or EFI unit.

If the starter just spins ( zzzzzz zzzzzzzzz) and no compression felt, then either the starter isn't engaging, or starter clutch is out. ( if you heard a nice clang/ing at one start, that's a good telltale sign.)
GAU-8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2019, 03:45 AM   #7
lroedal
ninjette.org newbie

Hey! Sorry for the late reply - there was hardly any engagement when thumbing the starter, but loads of compression when trying to push-start it.

However, after charging the battery for a full night as well as leaving the bike inside my house, there was a slight hint of engine noise when trying the starter. So I did as I tried earlier, thumbing the starter and popping the throttle, and after 20 good seconds it started - blowing a **** storm from the exhaust in the process. Not sure what was the initial problem, but I'm assuming it could have been water in the exhaust pipe perhaps. In either case, it works now - so I am a happy camper. Thanks for all suggestions.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 27th, 2019, 01:54 PM   #8
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

Motorcycle(s): Current machines- 1992 SECA II 600, 2006 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250

A storm of what? Water, smoke...? If smoke, was it more of a thick white/blueish or black?

How old are the plugs? Know recent condition of them? I'm not trying to bust on you. I had an epiphany, that I might need to bring to another thread for my ..or others knowledge update or understanding.

Old September 27th, 2019, 02:28 PM   #9
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hmm, could be possible rain got into muffler after bike was left out in rain. Depending upon how full muffler and exhaust was, that would add resistance to cranking. If not stored in garage or bedroom, bike should have cover.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2019, 11:19 PM   #10
lroedal
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAU-8 View Post
A storm of what? Water, smoke...? If smoke, was it more of a thick white/blueish or black?

How old are the plugs? Know recent condition of them? I'm not trying to bust on you. I had an epiphany, that I might need to bring to another thread for my ..or others knowledge update or understanding.
Grey smoke with all kinds of small dirt particles inside - my floor was covered after. The spark plugs are a probably +- 4 years old, they have not been changed since the last time it was serviced in a shop.

Old September 29th, 2019, 11:19 PM   #11
lroedal
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Hmm, could be possible rain got into muffler after bike was left out in rain. Depending upon how full muffler and exhaust was, that would add resistance to cranking. If not stored in garage or bedroom, bike should have cover.
Yeah, I think that could be it as well.

Old September 30th, 2019, 04:29 AM   #12
GAU-8
Socially inept. Yet FUN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lroedal View Post
The spark plugs are a probably +- 4 years old,.
Between weather issues of rain, humidity, cold/hot temperature cycling, exhaust taking on water,( and possibly the plugs wet too) I would change those out. If not that, at the very least, clean them up.

A new simple/stock plug, is better at performance, and reliability, than an aging high dollar plug, at this point in age, and use.