Notices

Old February 13th, 2018, 08:44 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[RideApart] - Meet ‘Emflux One’: The Latest Electric Superbike

Meet ‘Emflux One’: The Latest Electric Superbike

India’s Emflux Motors pulls the cover off its new fully-electric superbike model; the ‘Emflux One’.

The history of electric sportbikes has been a rocky one to say the least. Mission Motors is dead, and while they both appear to technically be in business, I haven't heard much from the MotoCzysz or Lightning Motorcycle camps in quite a while. With India currently being the world’s largest two-wheeler market, it makes sense that an electric bike company would pop up there. With the help of half-a-dozen investors, the Bengaluru-based, 25-employee operation that is Emflux Motors just debuted its inaugural model at the 2018 Auto Expo in New Delhi.

THE BODY ELECTRIC: 2018 Energica Esse Esse 9 – First Ride

Introducing the Emflux One,*a high-end 370lb, fully-electric superbike capable of doing 0-60 miles-per-hour in three-seconds flat. Those are some bold claims right there. At the heart of silent superbike is Emflux’s proprietary liquid-cooled AC induction motor that boasts a peak power of 50kW and operates at a minimum efficiency of 95 percent. The electric powerplant reportedly produces an equivalent to 71 horsepower and 62 foot-pounds of torque at 8,400rpm. This power gets to the rear wheel via a chain drive, giving the machine a claimed top speed of 124mph and a 0-60mph of 3 seconds, making it comparable to a mid-size triple.

Married to the AC motor is Emflux’s 9.7kWh Li-ion, (liquid-cooled lithium ion) modular battery pack with integrated high-power Samsung SDi cells. In addition to offering a claimed city-range of just under 125 miles, and a highway range of 93 miles at 50 miles per hour, the Emflux One’s battery pack can be 80 percent charged in just 36 minutes when using a WARP Charger™, or three-hours from a regular 15A wall charger. The battery also comes with a five year/62,000 mile warranty.

The rest of the hardware on the One is primarily made up of top-shelf parts. The machine’s chassis, sub-frame, and single-sided swing-arm—supposedly a first for a made-in-India motorcycle—are all tubular steel trellis units. Mated to the trellis frame up front are 43mm inverted forks while the single-sided swing-arm is dampened via a 46mm gas mono-shock. Both of these can be upgraded to fully-adjustable, high-spec Ohlins units. The braking hardware all comes from Brembo and consists of dual 300mm discs bit by quad-piston radially-mounted calipers in front and a single 220mm disk paired with a dual caliper in back. Both run twin-channel ABS.

FLASHES ON: Mysterious Company UM Global Unveils New Electric Cruiser

The bodywork on the Emflux One—AKA the “Model One”—is very reminiscent of designs from high-end Italian manufacturers.. An angular dummy-tank houses the battery-pack, and the bike’s standard, lightweight fiber-glass fairings can be upgraded to carbon fiber for an added fee. The entire build comes from the factory on a set of cast alloy rims wrapped in Pirelli Diablo Rosso II rubber, though the cast wheels can be upgraded to forged alloy units for a price.

The new Indian two-wheeler sports all the high-tech bells and whistles one would expect on a modern e-bike–a 6.8 inch touch-screen smart display offering real-time vehicle diagnostics, GPS navigation, two built-in cameras in front and one in back, full Bluetooth, WiFi, 4G system software enabling it to receive over-the-air-updates, full LED lighting throughout, and an Emflux app that allows users to locate and/or book charging stations. Taking advantage of the electric motor, the engineering team at Emflux opted to give the Model One l a park/walk assist function which allows the bike to move forward or backward at 2mph at the push of a button.

THE BIKE SHOW WALL: Meet the LMX-161-H - An Electric Bicycle/Dirt Bike Hybrid

I can’t find any word on price, but I imagine it will be on the steeper side. Emflux is poised to start accepting preorders and will reportedly initiate deliveries beginning in early 2019. With a clear aim at a more upscale demographic, it should be interesting to see if an Indian company is able to attract elite motorcyclists. Time will tell.*I will readily admit that supersports are hands down my favorite class of bike, so maybe this is just my own bias speaking but this Is the first electric bike I've ever had a strong desire to ride.

For anyone interested in seeing additional specs on the Emflux One, you can check out the marque's website.

Photos courtesy of Emflux Motors

More from RideApart:
     Related Stories

Click here for full story...

Old February 13th, 2018, 10:22 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Manufacturers keep on coming out with exotic high-end electric sportbikes that have a global market potential of, frankly, three figures given the price point and current tech limitations. Look, I'm never EVER going to buy a $40k Energica, ya feel me?

Here's where I see the fail happening: They're all reinventing the wheel by building a bike from the ground up, for no particularly good reason.

I mean, look at this thing. It's basically a garden-variety sportbike with an electric drivetrain, right?

The basic aluminum perimeter frame/I-4 layout has been around for decades. The Big Four are all very similar to one another. Take the mechanical guts out and what's left is a big hole that you can fill with whatever you like.

So why not a new business model? Sportbike conversions.

Take a bike that's had a very stable design over the years (so there are lots of donor bikes), and come up with a kit that replaces the engine, cooling and fuel systems. Or design a standard driveline package and engineer model-specific installation kits. The reality is that there isn't all that much difference, size and layout-wise, between one I-4 bike engine and another.

Frame, suspension, wheels, tires, brakes, running gear... it all stays the same. E-bike makers aren't adding value with that stuff. Their value-add is in the drivetrain and energy storage. So focus on that and the packaging needed to fit it into an existing frame, and stop trying to out-Kawasaki Kawasaki.

I could see paying several thousand to convert a high-mileage 08-16 R6, for example. Give me comparable (or better) performance with less maintenance for about the price of a new midrange commuter... not a bad deal IMHO.

Distribution costs are lower. Non-driveline parts availability is a no-brainer, because inventory and retail outlets already exist everywhere. Without the need to source any of the rolling chassis or running gear, the supply chain is simpler, inventory costs go down and cash flow isn't as much of a problem. Set up a franchise network of approved installers, or offer DIY bolt-in kits. Take it up a notch and license select "dealers" who would go out, find and retrofit clean bikes, and sell 'em whole.

Get REALLY clever and make the battery swappable in a few minutes (e.g. by designing it to fit where the current tank does and using quick-disconnects), and you've got a viable track bike. Charge one battery while you ride with the other one, rinse and repeat. Or use that as a commuting strategy: three batteries, one on the bike, one on the charger at home and one on the charger at work.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2018, 07:58 AM   #3
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja Kaw, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Manufacturers keep on coming out with exotic high-end electric sportbikes that have a global market potential of, frankly, three figures given the price point and current tech limitations. Look, I'm never EVER going to buy a $40k Energica, ya feel me?

Here's where I see the fail happening: They're all reinventing the wheel by building a bike from the ground up, for no particularly good reason.

I mean, look at this thing. It's basically a garden-variety sportbike with an electric drivetrain, right?

The basic aluminum perimeter frame/I-4 layout has been around for decades. The Big Four are all very similar to one another. Take the mechanical guts out and what's left is a big hole that you can fill with whatever you like.

So why not a new business model? Sportbike conversions.

Take a bike that's had a very stable design over the years (so there are lots of donor bikes), and come up with a kit that replaces the engine, cooling and fuel systems. Or design a standard driveline package and engineer model-specific installation kits. The reality is that there isn't all that much difference, size and layout-wise, between one I-4 bike engine and another.

Frame, suspension, wheels, tires, brakes, running gear... it all stays the same. E-bike makers aren't adding value with that stuff. Their value-add is in the drivetrain and energy storage. So focus on that and the packaging needed to fit it into an existing frame, and stop trying to out-Kawasaki Kawasaki.

I could see paying several thousand to convert a high-mileage 08-16 R6, for example. Give me comparable (or better) performance with less maintenance for about the price of a new midrange commuter... not a bad deal IMHO.

Distribution costs are lower. Non-driveline parts availability is a no-brainer, because inventory and retail outlets already exist everywhere. Without the need to source any of the rolling chassis or running gear, the supply chain is simpler, inventory costs go down and cash flow isn't as much of a problem. Set up a franchise network of approved installers, or offer DIY bolt-in kits. Take it up a notch and license select "dealers" who would go out, find and retrofit clean bikes, and sell 'em whole.

Get REALLY clever and make the battery swappable in a few minutes (e.g. by designing it to fit where the current tank does and using quick-disconnects), and you've got a viable track bike. Charge one battery while you ride with the other one, rinse and repeat. Or use that as a commuting strategy: three batteries, one on the bike, one on the charger at home and one on the charger at work.
I seriously doubt anyone can put it better.

I can't understand why the electric bike gimmmick doesn't just die the quick death it already died. No one will buy a $40k bike that will need batteries purchased again within 5 years. Oh, wait, you can't, because the company will be out of business within 3.

This is just politics driving a dead segment that will never have life again, unless technology is finally invented that can allow the cost to be competetive to those evil oil-burning demons. LOL.

I will give them that the bike looks cool though. Retrofit the fairings and leds to a 2006 ninjette?
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2018, 11:20 AM   #4
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
My hubby's got an electric bike and he loves it.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2018, 02:15 PM   #5
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja Kaw, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
My hubby's got an electric bike and he loves it.
They are cool. I worked for a dealership that sold the lightning bikes, and I do like the concept. None were sold, they were just too expensive. The problem with electric vehicles is the politics behind the idea. And the politics behind the R&D. If people would do real world research for real world people, you get brands like Lightning. Good idea, the market is just not there.
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2018, 07:00 PM   #6
CaliGrrl

Didn't look at any politics when we bought his bike, or when we bought our electric car.

They're not for everybody, but they're great.

Old February 15th, 2018, 07:41 PM   #7
adouglas
Cat herder

It really isn't a political decision. It's an economic one. It's a cost-benefit question and companies that successfully get first-mover advantage will gain significant market share. Public policy is simply an effort to accelerate market forces that are already in motion.

The Interstate highway system was a public works project (i.e. political) that had profound economic consequences. It caused a massive explosion of demand for cars and trucks after WWII. The industry would have grown, yes, but nowhere near the rate it did due to government infrastructure investment at Federal, State and local levels. Can you imagine not having asphalt roads in your town? Not being able to get easily to the next city? That's the way it used to be in many places.

As battery tech continues to improve and prices fall, people are going to gravitate to manufacturers who've already been developing their product.

It IS coming, and not just because of politics. There will be a tipping point when the cost/benefit ratio flips. There are just too many advantages for both manufacturer and consumer... MUCH simpler products, MUCH less maintenance. Hell, an e-bike's moving parts can just about be counted on the fingers of one hand. MUCH less impact on their immediate surroundings (and if you don't think this is important, I invite you to walk down a street in Manhattan sometime).

Whenever a new technology arrives, it looks like a dumb idea compared to well-established, mature technologies. Early cars weren't nearly as useful as horses. They were expensive, finicky, prone to failure, dependent on infrastructure that was practically nonexistent, required parts that were nearly impossible to find... sound familiar? That's where we are with electric vehicles today. Meanwhile, horses were well understood, well supported by services (vets, feed, tack, carriage builders, stables, breeders, etc.) Much like dino-fueled vehicles today.

What flipped the switch was the Model T. All of a sudden prices plummeted and it became more economically viable to own a car than horses. The rest is history.

Will electric drivetrains replace internal combustion the way cars and trucks replaced horses? I doubt it, because fossil-fueled cars are very good at certain things such as traveling long distances, rapid refueling, etc. But electric vehicles will have a significant market share because they're much better suited for certain purposes due to the aforementioned benefits. Urban use. Commuting. Things like that.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 15th, 2018, 10:14 PM   #8
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
zero

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

i always wanted one but price and range bring me back to earth. maybe one day...

Old February 16th, 2018, 05:00 AM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Zero is exactly who I had in mind. They're ALMOST there... but they don't make a bike I'd want to buy. Not yet, anyway. Don't like the styling or the ergos. Or the weight. I nearly popped a charley horse lifting a Zero off its kickstand at the motorcycle show.

And certainly not when bikes like the Ninja 400 are here.

I'm a pretty good candidate for an electric bike, I think. I like simplicity and using the right tool for the job. Outside of track riding, the vast majority of my mileage is commuting: 20 miles one way, and I can finagle access to a 110V outlet where I park at work if I have to. Practicality and economics play a large role in big purchase decisions, more than emotion and desire. I'm not hesitant to spend money when the time is right, but I think about stuff for a very long time -- years, sometimes -- before pulling the trigger.

E-bike in my future? EV or hybrid to replace my car? Maybe, if they get the cost/benefit balance right. Nobody's done it quite yet.

Old February 16th, 2018, 12:12 PM   #10
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
https://pluginamerica.org/consider-e...ally-gas-bike/

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2018, 04:37 PM   #11
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Zero is exactly who I had in mind. They're ALMOST there... but they don't make a bike I'd want to buy. Not yet, anyway. Don't like the styling or the ergos. Or the weight. I nearly popped a charley horse lifting a Zero off its kickstand at the motorcycle show.

And certainly not when bikes like the Ninja 400 are here.

I'm a pretty good candidate for an electric bike, I think. I like simplicity and using the right tool for the job. Outside of track riding, the vast majority of my mileage is commuting: 20 miles one way, and I can finagle access to a 110V outlet where I park at work if I have to. Practicality and economics play a large role in big purchase decisions, more than emotion and desire. I'm not hesitant to spend money when the time is right, but I think about stuff for a very long time -- years, sometimes -- before pulling the trigger.

E-bike in my future? EV or hybrid to replace my car? Maybe, if they get the cost/benefit balance right. Nobody's done it quite yet.
Zero FX

top speed 85 MPH
Peak torque 78 ft-lb
Curb weight 247 lb

Range:
City 46 miles
Highway@70 mph 19 miles

and

a modular battery

looks very close to what would work for you

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99

Last futzed with by allanoue; February 19th, 2018 at 06:00 PM.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2018, 05:55 PM   #12
adouglas
Cat herder

Yeah, but as I said... not a bike I would want to buy.

Old February 19th, 2018, 06:06 PM   #13
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Didn't look at any politics when we bought his bike, or when we bought our electric car.

They're not for everybody, but they're great.
What kind of electric bike does he have and how much did it cost if you don’t mind me asking?
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2018, 06:11 PM   #14
CaliGrrl

He'd bought a used Brammo bike, which fried a component and Brammo was sold to Victory. In that transition, parts were unavailable, it was in the shop for over a month, and under Lemon Laws... so Victory replaced his bike.... I think retail was mid-20s. Victory bought Brammo and almost immediately folded. Zero seems to be a more stable company.

In my limited handling of it, the balance is a little higher than my Ninja, it's a teeny bit taller, and feels a smidge heavier. I might get a chance to ride it one of these days, if he feels secure that I won't drop it.