ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 9th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #1
mz_twee
ninjette.org member

Name: twee

Motorcycle(s): 09 black 250

bike lift vs stands?

so ive been debating on whether i should get a lift or some stands...i really got my mind set on this one bike lift but it seems like everybodys using stands for the 250 though...why is that? ive also read somewhere that bike lifts are mainly used for cruisers and not sportsbike...is that true?
mz_twee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #2
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

This is true, for the most part. Largely in part because cruisers tend to have exposed that aren't wrapped in plastic. On top of that, they also often times have a good bit of frame that runs under the motor itself that can take the weight AND they tend to be much more stable on an engine lift due to a low center of gravity as compared to more or less any sport bike.

The only time you'd really want a lift instead of stands is when removing the front end entirely. Even then, a rearstand is usually used in addition. Front and Rear stands are stable and good for the majority of maintenance and work to be done on more or less any sportbike.

EDIT: This is also assuming that a lift you are considering is this:

and not this:
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2012, 06:17 AM   #3
Shawn250
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 07' ZX14 10' 250 96' CBR 600

Table lift is awesome for oil changes and other maintence u lay on the floor. I have both the stands and the lift. Down side to table lift is they take up a lot of room.
Shawn250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #4
mz_twee
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
This is true, for the most part. Largely in part because cruisers tend to have exposed that aren't wrapped in plastic. On top of that, they also often times have a good bit of frame that runs under the motor itself that can take the weight AND they tend to be much more stable on an engine lift due to a low center of gravity as compared to more or less any sport bike.

The only time you'd really want a lift instead of stands is when removing the front end entirely. Even then, a rearstand is usually used in addition. Front and Rear stands are stable and good for the majority of maintenance and work to be done on more or less any sportbike.

EDIT: This is also assuming that a lift you are considering is this:

and not this:

yea the one i want is the 1st one and not the 2nd...i just thought it be more convenient in the long run with maintenance and fix ups compared to the stands alone. my bro just bought a 650 and we're installing frame sliders and lowering both bikes...i was just wondering if its still ok if i bought it for my 250 since i see the lift advertise for sportsbikes too

Old May 10th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #5
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

The first lift shown in that post would not work well at all. As he previously said, it's used more often on cruisers/dirtbikes as they have a frame running underneath the engine that can rest on the lift.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #6
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

The lift is really not useful at all on most sportbikes. You would have to lift the bike by the motor, which is okay, but that means you have no access to the basics (oil filter, oil drain plug, etc). Often times the headers also run beneath the motor, making it rather difficult to use as well.

On the other hand, there are lifts that have adjustable points to lift from, which might work, but in the end stands are easier and more stable by far. If you need to unload the suspension, a ladder and ratchet straps are quite handy.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
theres this magic center stand thing. it goes in both sides of the swingarm axle and goes under the bike and lifts by the frame in the middle, then you can use a front triple stand or weight the back wheel or whatever

heres an example: http://compare.ebay.com/like/2507387..._lwgsi=y&cbt=y

Old May 10th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #8
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Don't lower both of those bikes. Turning is too much fun for that.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2012, 12:23 AM   #9
mz_twee
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Don't lower both of those bikes. Turning is too much fun for that.
well i have no choice, im 2 inches dangling on both sides, and for my bro...he's just copying me. he didnt even know u can lower bikes till i told him.

thanx everybody, i guess ill be buying stands instead of lifts