ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Cargo Space

Old July 2nd, 2013, 05:25 AM   #1
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Cargo Shelf to Replace the Seat?

Does anyone make one? I've searched, and came back empty handed. Seeing Alex's shelf on his BMW makes me think that this sort of thing would be a good idea on the ninja, just remove the rear seat and clip the shelf into place, something you could strap a pizza onto, or bolt a hardcase to it, or whatever.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this for out little bikes?
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 12:45 PM   #2
fry1024
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 650R & 2007 Buell Blast

I'm sure there's a few, but the only one I know of is here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpg7MUUM.jpg (16.1 KB, 12 views)
fry1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2013, 02:08 PM   #3
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fry1024 View Post
I'm sure there's a few, but the only one I know of is here
That's the twisted throttle, right? I'm looking for something to actually replace the back seat, though, so you could have a bigger rack that could hold more weight. Maybe one of these days I'll have to see if I can fabricate something.

Edit:
Ok guess I should have noticed you gave a link before I asked if it was the twisted throttle one.

Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:19 PM   #4
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

@rojoracing53

^^ could do something similar to Jason. he just bolted down a case onto the rear seat.

Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:53 PM   #5
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
World fastest pizza delivery ninja.

You can fit anything from couple medium pizzas to a harbor freight powder paring system

I positioned my setup where it is because I don't ever have a passenger and I wanted to keep it all as compact as possible, I wasn't a fan of the twisted whatever rack they sell. I'm extremely pleased with the setup and the only time it's been off my bike was at the track because they wouldn't let me leave it on

I can make more if need be but you'll have to be convincing or you can find the thread I made here a long ways back describing how to make and try yourself.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 07:41 AM   #6
fry1024
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 650R & 2007 Buell Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post

I positioned my setup where it is because I don't ever have a passenger and I wanted to keep it all as compact as possible, I wasn't a fan of the twisted whatever rack they sell. I'm extremely pleased with the setup and the only time it's been off my bike was at the track because they wouldn't let me leave it on

I can make more if need be but you'll have to be convincing or you can find the thread I made here a long ways back describing how to make and try yourself.
Yeah, this is more of what I think ChaoSS was looking for. I'll have to find this thread and check it out myself. I love reading about innovative DIY projects.
fry1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:14 AM   #7
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89963
So here's the thread to my original prototype which I've now beefed up with .125" aluminum so there's no need for the hard line down the center. I thought I made a more in depth DIY type post but maybe like so many other things I've done I just forgot to follow up

But overall that's what it looks like and it bolts to the subframe with 4 bolts. You'll need to rivet-nut the frame along those flat cross bars under the seat where it to mount to. There's several ways to mount it to the frame but rivet-nuts are the best and easiest way in the long run.

I didn't make it mount the same as the seat because I don't trust the mounting hardware to hold 30lbs being thrown upward when you hit a bump. I think the most weight I've carried was two truck batteries across town but when I ride to LA(500 miles) the thing weights around 25lbs stuffed with gear and it never moves.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 02:38 PM   #8
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=89963
So here's the thread to my original prototype which I've now beefed up with .125" aluminum so there's no need for the hard line down the center. I thought I made a more in depth DIY type post but maybe like so many other things I've done I just forgot to follow up

But overall that's what it looks like and it bolts to the subframe with 4 bolts. You'll need to rivet-nut the frame along those flat cross bars under the seat where it to mount to. There's several ways to mount it to the frame but rivet-nuts are the best and easiest way in the long run.

I didn't make it mount the same as the seat because I don't trust the mounting hardware to hold 30lbs being thrown upward when you hit a bump. I think the most weight I've carried was two truck batteries across town but when I ride to LA(500 miles) the thing weights around 25lbs stuffed with gear and it never moves.
Seems like a pretty good idea, if you can just pull it off with a few bolts, takes a bit more than the seat lock but that's just fine with me.

I need something a bit wider, I buy take and bake pizzas that don't come in a box so you need a base 16 inches across or your tiedowns just crush your pizza. The basic principle is the same though, so I just need to figure out how to fabricate something like that, since that's not exactly my strong suit.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:09 PM   #9
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Post #14 is what gave me the idea for mine http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61522

If you literally just want to carry pizzas then I buy a second passenger seat and remove the padding, then mount a large pizza tray to it and your set. Pizza's aren't heavy so you don't need to direct mount it to the frame.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:18 PM   #10
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Post #14 is what gave me the idea for mine http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61522

If you literally just want to carry pizzas then I buy a second passenger seat and remove the padding, then mount a large pizza tray to it and your set. Pizza's aren't heavy so you don't need to direct mount it to the frame.
No, I want it for more than pizzas, right now I strap a good amount of stuff to the bike for my commute, and if I put something on it I would want to be able to leave it on there anytime I don't have a passenger. Also, I have saddlebags that I don't like having on there because they are a pain to hook up onto the bike with it's contours, and it scratches the fairings, so something wide enough to allow the bags to be strapped across the tray would be nice too. I was also thinking it would be nice to have something strong enough that if I do a little bit of touring on the bike it could hold a fair bit of water, or even camping supplies.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:23 PM   #11
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
No, I want it for more than pizzas, right now I strap a good amount of stuff to the bike for my commute, and if I put something on it I would want to be able to leave it on there anytime I don't have a passenger. Also, I have saddlebags that I don't like having on there because they are a pain to hook up onto the bike with it's contours, and it scratches the fairings, so something wide enough to allow the bags to be strapped across the tray would be nice too. I was also thinking it would be nice to have something strong enough that if I do a little bit of touring on the bike it could hold a fair bit of water, or even camping supplies.
My camping/canyon carving setup

Edit: Oops

Old July 31st, 2013, 02:22 AM   #12
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

@rojoracing53 Here's to go with your pizza!

1 6-pack, and 1 bottle of Zin. in my Coocase V37 Wizard. As you can see, I was a bit too conservative at the store.... could definitely put another 6-pack in there (possible 2), and a couple more bottles of wine. I had a shirt and bike cover in there as cushion when I actually rode... just removed them for the picture.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2013, 08:50 AM   #13
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
My limit is 2 1/2 bags of groceries. Its like level 20 Tetris trying to get that thing to close

Old August 1st, 2013, 09:42 PM   #14
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

i go ghetto, i go to the back of the super market grab a coke crate strap it on with bungees, go shopping load it up, load up my backpack, and then cargo net the top of the crate. when i get home it all comes off, that way i never have to lug it around just carry bungees with me. there is always coke or milk crates around.

last time in the crate alone i fit 2 gallons of milk, bananas, apples, eggs, bread, big bag of frozen chicken breast (skinless), and a 12 pack of cokes. the cokes had to be bungeed down in front of the crate.

just dont get caught >=D

Old August 1st, 2013, 10:25 PM   #15
Galaxieman
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 Concours 14

Easiest way is to buy a spare seat off ebay, pull the cover and foam, bolt your topcase baseplate to that, and go from there. As noted in the thread, there's a BMW tail rack that's hacked up and bolted to the seat pan, and the Givi rack is bolted to the BMW rack.

Thread about it here: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=122677

Old August 7th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #16
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxieman View Post
Easiest way is to buy a spare seat off ebay, pull the cover and foam, bolt your topcase baseplate to that, and go from there. As noted in the thread, there's a BMW tail rack that's hacked up and bolted to the seat pan, and the Givi rack is bolted to the BMW rack.

Thread about it here: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=122677
I honestly don't know why I never thought of this.... it seems too easy.

Actually, I didn't know the cases required mounting plates in addition the rack plate the go on (until I got one).... thought they mounted directly to the rack. Let this be a lesson to you kids!

Old August 9th, 2013, 04:53 AM   #17
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

I just bought a cargo plate, then got a extra seat tore the padding and cover off the seat, then covered the seat pan in black felt. Bolted the cargo plate to the seat and i got a large space for my huge tail bag.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2013, 06:25 AM   #18
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Careful when using the rear seat as your attachment point of between the frame and top box. There have been many a horror stories of the latching system letting go and tossing your **** down the road. Seats made to be sat on and to prevent some one from getting to you underwear storage. It not made to have 30lbs tugging at it from 4 direction over and over, so don't put to much wieght into it and it should be fine. Even my box mounting plate is only rated for 8 lbs but I've carried as much as 30+ lbs on my 1500 mile weekend trips with zero problems but mounting plate is sercured to the sub frame directly.

Old August 29th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #19
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

Good thread and good ideas Jason.

I'm glad this was here, because I am literally 10 minutes away from riding to the shop to fab up a bracket to the rear seat that will hold a small ATV rack I bought off CL. I'll make certain to work out an additional way to secure the seat to the subframe as well.

Old August 29th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #20
vman1313
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): '14 Honda NC700X; '14 Honda CRF250L; '07 Lifan 200

Man I hate BACKPACKS!!! I have been wanting a rack for my 300 but the Ventura rack is like over $250. Soooooo after seeing some great threads here on the forum, here is my removable monstrosity that I put together with what I already had. The case I got from JC Whitney and was on my PreGen 250. To give you an estimate of the size, the box can hold two full size helmets. It has a small plate it attaches to and the bottom has a hard foam pad so it does not mess up the passenger seat. I strapped it down with two straps I had lying around. I have used it now a few days and seems to be working out fine and not wiggled lose at all. I like the fact that I can take it off in a matter of seconds and can put it on in a matter of a minute or two. This box has an easy open lid top which means I can throw my laptop, lunch, and other essentials in and I can ride to work with no problems. It also allows me to ride to the store for small essentials. I think I will go buy 2 BLACK straps to replace the two blue ones I have on there now so it will at least look a little better and match the color of the bike.

Again, does it look good....no not to me. Its not BUTT UGLY but its no show winner. What it does do is make the bike more useful as a commuter bike!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (147.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpeg image (2).jpeg (128.3 KB, 9 views)

www.northgariders.com
NuBe4Life!!!
vman1313 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #21
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Guess what Brad did at lunch today... Took me about 2.5 hours from pulling up at the shop to leaving with it welded up, painted and installed. I still have to work out some type of front bolt-down attachment before I trust any extra weight in/on it.

I'm thinking about welding a nut to the plate that the lock and support feet rest on. There are already 2 holes corresponding to where the rubber feet hit the plate, so I could use those and then get some longer bolts to go through the entire seat. (Making sure to have a larger washer or plate on top of the seat pad, so that I can tighten up the bolts without just pulling through the seat foam.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130829_144424.jpg (118.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20130829_144454.jpg (95.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20130829_145746.jpg (94.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20130829_145820.jpg (103.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20130829_145836.jpg (77.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20130829_150419.jpg (77.9 KB, 9 views)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:54 AM   #22
headshrink

That's ugly as $hite; but I applaud your craftsmanship, and ingenuity.

Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:54 PM   #23
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Thanks I suppose. Good thing I'm way beyond the point of needing validation from others to feel good about myself. ..
Posted via Mobile Device
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:54 PM   #24
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
Thanks I suppose. Good thing I'm way beyond the point of needing validation from others to feel good about myself. ..
Posted via Mobile Device
No, that was actually 90% a compliment.

Old September 4th, 2013, 04:45 AM   #25
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Then thank you. I know it's not really a normal way of doing it, but once loaded, it looks much better. I also have a second rear seat so I can swap back in under 1 minute
Posted via Mobile Device

Adding a few pics of the front attachment. there are aluminum tubes that run through the seat and rest inside the plastic legs that normally hold the rubber bumpers. Welded 1/4" nuts to the brace in the subframe and have slotted a couple of carriage bolts to hold it all together.

Only took the pics for reference, but that's 2 camp chairs, a 4 person tent and my large LL Bean pack. My next camping trip will be a hammock camping trip, so no chairs, tent, air mattress, etc to fuss over (ie, even less packing on the bike also).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130904_081724.jpg (112.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20130904_081749.jpg (116.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20130904_081802.jpg (132.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20130904_082435.jpg (182.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20130904_082453.jpg (149.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20130904_082501.jpg (97.7 KB, 12 views)

Last futzed with by BRad704; September 4th, 2013 at 06:37 AM.
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #26
headshrink

Now I see why you have those wing-like platforms on the sides.... carries a lot of stuff.

Old September 4th, 2013, 10:32 AM   #27
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Yup. The rack is from a small ATV, so I had to work with what I had.

Next up (not soon) will be brackets and some type of hard side cases.

Old September 5th, 2013, 10:12 PM   #28
headshrink

Quote:

Ahhhhh, that explains it then. I thought you fabricated 100% of it, which is why I didn't understand why you designed it with the elongated sides. Good repurpose then. The genius though are the locking screws you added to the seat. Haven't seen a solution to tackle this aspect until now.

Old September 15th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #29
perplexed
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R..... BLUE, 2000 Kawasaki W650

welding nut to the frame

BRad704, are there any precautions to take when welding those nuts to the frame - those next to the locking mechanism? I'm looking at doing something similar in the next month or so, and a friend suggested disconnecting the battery if welding direct to the frame. Did you do this?
perplexed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #30
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Quote:

I like how you used a atv rack and modded it quick...
Looks like a fantastic travel rig. - I want one haha

Why did you make holes in the seat?
couldnt it have been attached w/o that ?

You are not ridding passengers from this point on?

Could you have attached it using the actual seat latch? or is it not strong as you would prefer?
Maybe buy a second seat latch and weld it to the frame and incorporate a tail fairing cover instead of a seat?

just Ideas....
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #31
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by perplexed View Post
BRad704, are there any precautions to take when welding those nuts to the frame - those next to the locking mechanism? I'm looking at doing something similar in the next month or so, and a friend suggested disconnecting the battery if welding direct to the frame. Did you do this?
I didn't disconnect the battery or remove anything before welding. But disconnecting the battery is never going to be a bad idea when welding. I did have everything covered with flame retardant blankets and only put down 2 strong tack welds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post
I like how you used a atv rack and modded it quick...
Looks like a fantastic travel rig. - I want one haha

Why did you make holes in the seat?
couldnt it have been attached w/o that ?

You are not ridding passengers from this point on?

Could you have attached it using the actual seat latch? or is it not strong as you would prefer?
Maybe buy a second seat latch and weld it to the frame and incorporate a tail fairing cover instead of a seat?

just Ideas....
Thanks! It has been GREAT so far!

The holes in the seat are for long tubes that rest inside the plastic feet under the seat. With those, I can bolt the seat down tight, because you are right, the seat latch only can not me trusted once you have rearward or any side to side load. It is only intended to hold the seat in place with no load. I just couldn't take the risk.

I have a second pillion seat already. That way it is a 2 minute swap to go back and forth. My GF isn't comfortable for more than an hour on the back, so I don't forsee us taking this bike on any long tours.

Old October 10th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #32
JYPY650
ninjette.org newbie

Name: jean-pierre

Motorcycle(s): ninja 300 ABS 2013 v-strom 650 Se ABS 2010

fop case

I do an custom mount for my top case look at that for keeping the sear intact
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0009.jpg (210.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0006.jpg (112.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.jpg (115.8 KB, 12 views)
JYPY650 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 13th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #33
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Looks good.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote