ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 21st, 2014, 09:45 PM   #1
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 250R

Radiator hose into metal tube, why?

Can anyone explain to me why this is the chosen design? Is it because they needed the threaded portion of the tube?

I was in a crash and it's slightly dented. I'm opting to cut up to the bend and replacing the silicone hose with one that's longer. Is there any downside to this?

Old May 21st, 2014, 11:21 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it will be hard to get a seal on it without a lip to clamp onto. but if you put rtv on it will probably work. maybe. the reason is you don't want a floppy rubber hose down there where if something nicks it, it could cut it open. metal doesn't care if its getting hit by branches or crashed on as you can tell. it might have sprung a leak but it didn't rip it out did it.

Old May 22nd, 2014, 09:19 AM   #3
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF13 View Post
Can anyone explain to me why this is the chosen design? Is it because they needed the threaded portion of the tube?
It provides some rigidity (metal) so it does not collapse and just enough flex (rubber) for expansion/torsion. On the Australian model the metal coolant pipe connects to a coolant valve and damper. The coolant valve connects to the carbs to keep them from icing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coolant valve.jpg (80.5 KB, 11 views)
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 24th, 2014, 02:38 AM   #4
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
It provides some rigidity (metal) so it does not collapse and just enough flex (rubber) for expansion/torsion. On the Australian model the metal coolant pipe connects to a coolant valve and damper. The coolant valve connects to the carbs to keep them from icing.
Oh...I wonder why they didn't do this in other regions. I mean....It'd make sense for NY -- not that it really affected me even during my winter trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
it will be hard to get a seal on it without a lip to clamp onto. but if you put rtv on it will probably work. maybe. the reason is you don't want a floppy rubber hose down there where if something nicks it, it could cut it open. metal doesn't care if its getting hit by branches or crashed on as you can tell. it might have sprung a leak but it didn't rip it out did it.
Damn, maybe I'm just better off getting a new metal pipe then. I hope getting it off won't be too difficult. And nah, it didn't leak or get ripped out. It's just dented badly. It still lets coolant through but....it could be better.

Old May 25th, 2014, 07:07 PM   #5
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Oh...I wonder why they didn't do this in other regions.
I have no idea.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2014, 04:52 AM   #6
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

Quote:

I was in a crash and it's slightly dented. I'm opting to cut up to the bend and replacing the silicone hose with one that's longer. Is there any downside to this?
rigidity. engine design. function.

Based on how everything connects to the 250 motor, one could not just use hose.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote