ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 22nd, 2009, 05:46 PM   #1
ninjabadger
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki 250R, 2008 Genuine Buddy 50

If something seems too good to be true it's best to shoot it just in case

So I found an 09 250r with the fun limited edition colors in a nearby city. It's got a Two Brothers slip on, fender eliminator, black ZG windscreen, chrome oil valve cap cover, and master cylinder cover, Kawasaki racing valve stem covers, Kawasaki Racing Tank Pad. It's been dropped once and all the scratched parts have been replaced. He wants 3k. Despite the strong scent of eau de squid, assuming I take a look at it and there aren't other surprises, I think it's a good deal. My concerns are two fold:

1) is this really a good price? The fender eliminator I was probably going to do myself and the TBR slip on I can take or leave, so he hasn't really added that much value to the bike for me. I think it's about right given the bike's history but I'm looking for feedback.

2) as one might imagine, the bank still has a lien on the bike which would have to be cleared. I've never had to deal with outstanding bank loans on vehicles I've purchased before so I'm not super enthused to have deal with it, especially in another state.

These reservations aside I'm inclined to find a way to make it work since the price feels right. Thoughts?
ninjabadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2009, 08:40 PM   #2
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

In most cases acessories like chrome goodies, aftermarket exhausts, etc. are enticements--but do not add to the overall value of the machine. Let me illustrate: You have two 09 Ninjas. One has been dropped and has all sorts of chrome dodads and, like you said squiddy stuff. The other is a pristine totally stock SE. The one with the bling is 3K, the stock machine is 3.1K. Which would you choose? I would keep looking. The worst thing for you to do is to be in a hurry. The art of getting a good deal is like fly fishing---takes patience and time. If you take that stance, you WILL get a good deal and a good bike. Just my opinion for what it is worth.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2009, 08:46 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

If a seller doesn't have title in hand, I walk. Not worth the trouble. They can pay off the balance on a card if they have to.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2009, 09:13 PM   #4
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

If you are interested in buying but are worried about the lien. Tell him the only way you'll purchase it is if you go to the bank (if that's where his lien is from) with him so he can pay off the balance and sign the title over right there.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2009, 10:25 PM   #5
ninjabadger
ninjette.org member

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki 250R, 2008 Genuine Buddy 50

That's what I'm looking at doing. In essence, I'll buy out the loan on the bike (assuming it's less than the asking price), or put the $3k into covering the payoff value if he's standing there with the difference to clear the title.

Sailariel, I get what you mean and totally agree. The bits and bobs they put on are of zero to negative value to me and the exhaust is a wash only because it was professionally installed. I've been looking for a while and I've determined that in my neck of the woods, current gen 250s command around 3500-4000 asking price, even for ones that are more suspect than this one. Based on that, I'm willing to stretch a little more on what seems like a decent value when everything is factored in (age and mileage vs squiddy usage) but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't totally off base.
ninjabadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2009, 01:56 AM   #6
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-os View Post
If you are interested in buying but are worried about the lien. Tell him the only way you'll purchase it is if you go to the bank (if that's where his lien is from) with him so he can pay off the balance and sign the title over right there.
+1