ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old March 20th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #1
ladyrocket
ladyrocket

Name: Megan

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R

Seat Cowl Mission!

Hey guys!
So I was thinking about getting a seat cowl, but I don't like the OEM ones. I don't think they look very good. Who wants a rubber stopper on a cowl? Definitely not me. My dad told me that OEM is the only brand that makes a cowl for the ninja 250. Help me prove him wrong

Does anyone know of a good brand to look at? I really hope I am not S.O.L and only have OEM as an option

Option 2 is getting an OEM and driving a half hour to Corbin and have them work their magic.

Old March 20th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #2
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

I'll tell everyone this. Stay away from the forums but definetly check out the fabrication done by ninja 250 old timers on ninja250.org Cowling, luggage, windscreens and all top shelf and inexpensive to fellow ninjetters. Might need search bar but i know Duke,Woot and Leon and between them get the others, that way you'll converse with good people. You'll get your cowl and others always going double bubble might switch to real wind screens (actually blocks the wind and splats bugs- 2 sizes) and luggage like the metal boxes so in vogue now in BMW ads will cost much less and won't leak under updrafts. Best fo luck from the man, the Coondog.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

I have no idea what the post above me even means... however, there is another option although I don't personally care for it... give me a minute and I'll update my post with a pic of it...

as mentioned... not my personal taste, just a cover that goes over the original seat.

Now then, there is also this option:

This is a pretty sweet carbon fiber option with no bumper from moto-works.jp although it's not a cheap option at $200
Here is a picture of it from the front:

I'll continue to look around, but those are the only other options I've found so far.
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #4
ladyrocket
ladyrocket

Awesome! Thank you! I dont know about it, kinda just want to have the seat OR the cowl in case of ever selling or letting my boyfriend ride bitch haha

Old March 20th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #5
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazper View Post
I have no idea what the post above me even means... however, there is another option although I don't personally care for it... give me a minute and I'll update my post with a pic of it...

as mentioned... not my personal taste, just a cover that goes over the original seat.

Now then, there is also this option:

This is a pretty sweet carbon fiber option with no bumper from moto-works.jp although it's not a cheap option at $200
Here is a picture of it from the front:

I'll continue to look around, but those are the only other options I've found so far.
i couldn't think of smaller words than fabrication and inexpensive, my apologies. by the way, nice "bait and switch" to get them to buy your (associates) $200 cowl.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #6
Cazper
ninjaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by coondog View Post
i couldn't think of smaller words than fabrication and inexpensive, my apologies. by the way, nice "bait and switch" to get them to buy your (associates) $200 cowl.
The OP asked questions about a cowl... you rambled on about a different forum and people and luggage and windscreens... none of which are any help to the OP question.

As for my "bait and switch" I could care less what others buy... I was mearly showing some options. I also don't have any "associates"... I am in no way shape or form any associate of that website or any others. I am just a fellow ninjette owner that has done lots of research and has several websites saved as favorites for future mods I plan to do. The website I pulled the carbon fiber cowl from has a lot of other carbon fiber parts I've had my eyes on.

Bottom line... not sure why your comment got me going... but it really bothers me to think that someone thinks I'm out to lure someone into getting something in particular... guess thats what happens when I post in the general forum...

Old March 20th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #7
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazper View Post
The OP asked questions about a cowl... you rambled on about a different forum and people and luggage and windscreens... none of which are any help to the OP question.

As for my "bait and switch" I could care less what others buy... I was mearly showing some options. I also don't have any "associates"... I am in no way shape or form any associate of that website or any others. I am just a fellow ninjette owner that has done lots of research and has several websites saved as favorites for future mods I plan to do. The website I pulled the carbon fiber cowl from has a lot of other carbon fiber parts I've had my eyes on.

Bottom line... not sure why your comment got me going... but it really bothers me to think that someone thinks I'm out to lure someone into getting something in particular... guess thats what happens when I post in the general forum...
even if you were, which you werent, there's nothing wrong with it

to OP, if you want non-OEM cowls, they are pretty much only available for purchase in asia.....there arent many distributers here in the US

if memory serve right, i believe sportisi has/had one
http://www.sportisimotorsport.com/ni...accesories.php
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I started a similar thread a while back.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32120

Anyway, Sportisi also sells a "GP Cowl," but it has an even bigger "rubber bumper."
http://www.sportisimotorsport.com/re...s/SNC00235.jpg
http://www.sportisimotorsport.com/re...s/SNC00239.jpg
Also, many race fairing options have a cowl shape integrated into a single-piece tail.

Your other option is to buy the OEM cowl and leave the bumper off (the holes are tiny and your bike is black; you could easily fill them in). If your bike were another color, you could also cover it with a customseatcreations.com colored piece of seat material (they make one for the OEM cowl).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2011, 11:27 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to newgen farkles

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:59 AM   #10
stealth250
Gearhead

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

You could always do what I did. I bought a used rear seat to rob the material off of it so I could cover up the rubber bumper on the cowl. Now it matches the seat!
DSC04324.jpg

Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:20 PM   #11
ladyrocket
ladyrocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth250 View Post
You could always do what I did. I bought a used rear seat to rob the material off of it so I could cover up the rubber bumper on the cowl. Now it matches the seat!
Attachment 11225
great idea! thanks! how much was the extra seat?

Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:42 AM   #12
KawiRider
ninjette.org member

Name: Derek

Motorcycle(s): '08 and 09 Ninja 250R

Stealth. How did you fasten the material to the rubber? Staples and fabric adhesive? I have been wanting to do this for a while. I opened a thread to see if anyone who got a better seat or changed their cover would sell their OEM seat or fabric and got nada!
KawiRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2011, 06:35 AM   #13
stealth250
Gearhead

found the seat last year on ebay. And when I got it the material looked new. I used staples to fasten the material to the rubber. But when I went to put the pad back on the cowl, it had more of a gap than I wanted. So I used a product called "the right stuff" from permatex to glue the pad to the cowl. I applied the glue to the back of the pad and taped it up real tight to let it set up. If anyone ever needs the best gasket maker/adhesive ever made, get the right stuff. It dries as rubber and seals anything. WAY better than any silicone. I used to swear by Ultra Black, but The Right Stuff is so much better.

Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:22 AM   #14
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth250 View Post
Attachment 11225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyrocket View Post
great idea! thanks! how much was the extra seat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiRider View Post
Stealth. How did you fasten the material to the rubber? Staples and fabric adhesive? I have been wanting to do this for a while. I opened a thread to see if anyone who got a better seat or changed their cover would sell their OEM seat or fabric and got nada!
Why is no one using the material from their original seat if the cowl replaces it?

Anyway, KawiRider: RaceBikeRentals has been selling some seats. He recently updated hit thread to say that he still has them available. They were $30, IIRC.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:38 AM   #15
stealth250
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Why is no one using the material from their original seat if the cowl replaces it?
Well, my reason is because I like to have all of the original parts/accessories that came with the bike. Even though I may never use it, I have it. I'm just weird like that I guess. Also, I think I spent maybe $15 on the seat from ebay.
Besides, if I ever convinced my wife to ride on the back (yeah right), that cowl might be a little uncomfortable.

Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:40 AM   #16
kashun84
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Lime Green 250R

How about a duck tail??
kashun84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2011, 01:01 AM   #17
KawiRider
ninjette.org member

Ohhh yeah! I wrapped the cowl pad with the oem seat material! I used adhesive spray and staples and it looks awesome! I did notice a small gap betwwen the pad and cowl from the material. I fixed it by putting the two pieces together as usual, then used small nylon washers I specifically sized for the little rubber fasteners to pull through and lock behind the cowl. It pulled it together nice and tight. It isn't coming off without proper disassembly or being broken, I can assure that! I am supremely happy with the results.

Old March 28th, 2011, 06:38 AM   #18
stealth250
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiRider View Post
Ohhh yeah! I wrapped the cowl pad with the oem seat material! I used adhesive spray and staples and it looks awesome! I did notice a small gap betwwen the pad and cowl from the material. I fixed it by putting the two pieces together as usual, then used small nylon washers I specifically sized for the little rubber fasteners to pull through and lock behind the cowl. It pulled it together nice and tight. It isn't coming off without proper disassembly or being broken, I can assure that! I am supremely happy with the results.
lets see some pics!

Old March 31st, 2011, 11:23 AM   #19
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

i think the oem seat cowl looks pretty good, but I really like the idea of recovering that black rubber piece.

now to find an old seat
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2011, 11:38 AM   #20
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Derek, do you remember what size washers you got? My cushion has fallen out before when I slide back into it.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2011, 10:57 PM   #21
KawiRider
ninjette.org member

That is how I did it! No need to post pics of my DIY! I took the pad to Ace Hardware and sifted thru the nylon washers until I found one that went down the taper on the rubber halfway. The hard part is stretching them while pushing down on the washer. My damn fingers were sore after that! I was scared tools would rip the rubber. Be cautious if you choose to use pliers or whatever! Once it is on, it is snug. While you are at the hardware store, get a new grommet that makes the plastic hook on the back of the cowl hold better. I was ecstatic that the pad matched the seat, but the fact I know the pad won't come off without proper disassembly eases my mind while riding.. Let me know what you think if you pull it off!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0779.jpg (74.3 KB, 7 views)

Old March 31st, 2011, 11:06 PM   #22
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Derek, where did you get your rubber grommet from? I've gotten grommets from Lowe's and Ace, but both would eventually fall out and neither felt snug. It always looked like the plastic hook pushes the grommet down vs going into the center.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2011, 11:16 PM   #23
kkim

CF, anyone?

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2011, 11:51 PM   #24
KawiRider
ninjette.org member

I actually noticed it doing that when I tried to install it the first time. I got it seated again, then took a a tapered 1/2" punch from my air hammer set and put it in the hole and wallowed it around a little so there arent any pinch points (seated it better). This was crucial as the hook tended to grab ANY areas that weren't fully seated against the hole in the frame bar and push the grommet thru. I also make sure to center it, then pop the rear of the cowl in first everytime. If you put the front in first, the angle of the plastic hook tends to grab any grommet you put in there. The sides of the hook actually catch the grommet more than the front of the hook and you have your described issue. I don't muscle it either. Steady pressure should allow you to feel it sliding in and reach that 'locking' point. Do it a couple of times and it becomes muscle memory and the grommet stays fine. If you do take your cowl off alot, then you should expect to replace these grommets as use and weather breaks down the elastic qualities of the rubber.. I only have to get in there to renew the insurance card every now and then, so my new grommet gets little wear. The cowl fits super tight now. I love it!

Old April 1st, 2011, 04:37 PM   #25
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Natalie

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 Special Edition Red/Black

Hey KKim, I came back to this thread to see if anyone has used the carbon fiber material off ebay and, walla, I saw your pic. Is that where you got your material? I was thinking of getting it here. Is that similar to what you used?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Old April 1st, 2011, 04:47 PM   #26
kkim

Nat,

the backrest I have is a CF wrapped fiberglass resin piece in the shape of the stock rubber backrest. It was a gift from a friend overseas and I doubt they are even available.

I've seen the wrap you linked used in other applications, but honestly have no idea how it would stand up to being attached to a piece of flexible rubber. IMHO, using the stock seat material to recover is a stroke of genius and, to me, a very nice solution.

Old April 1st, 2011, 04:51 PM   #27
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

Yes, I agree on the stock seat fabric. I'm just not looking to spend $50+ on a used seat just for the material. I ended up just buying the ebay material. Guess I'll be the guinea pig for this one. $5 vs $50, it's worth a try. Anything is better than the rubber at this point. I bought the cowl used and the rubber is all faded and was scratched up by the previous owner.

Old April 1st, 2011, 05:49 PM   #28
kkim

perhaps you can PM the people that have already done theirs and see if they have enough left over from the seat they cut up that they would sell you the remainder? just a thought.

Looking forward to see what your CF overlay looks like.

Old April 6th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #29
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

So the fabric came in last night. Although I'm pretty happy with the look of the material, I am pretty bummed out with my job of wrapping it. I had a really hard time getting the material to be smooth. The material is pretty thin and very stretchable. I think it would have been alot easier to apply if I would have spray 3M glue on the rubber to help hold the material in place, but I plan to resell the cowl, so i didn't want to make it permanent in case whoever buys it wants to take it off and go back to rubber.

Before:

After:

In this pic, you can tell where I had a hard time getting the fabric to look smooth on top.

Sample fabric over stock seat.

Final product (for now....)

i have a lot of extra fabric, so I think I'm going to give it another try over the weekend and see if I can get it to lay better over the top. Does anyone have any tips for me on how to get it to wrap smoothly over the entire piece? How do you do the corners without having the fabric overlap?

Old April 6th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #30
Cazper
ninjaholic

The biggest tip I have for avoiding the bunched look is making the fabric as tight as possible. I don't know how much give the fabric you used has... but that is how you get rid of it is by pulling it extremely tight.

Old April 6th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #31
kkim

... or, try to heat it slightly with a hair dryer to get the material to soften just a bit at the edges so you can gently pull and fold it back over the edges to smooth it out. Too much heat and/or too much pressure when you pull can ruin the material.

I would try practicing with some scraps of materiel first on something that mimics the angles you would need to work with to get just the right "feel".

Old April 7th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #32
stealth250
Gearhead

I guess because the oem seat material is vinyl, I was able to stretch it over the rubber and didn't have any wrinkles. That carbon material doesn't look very "stretchy".