ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old September 2nd, 2014, 06:46 PM   #1
angela7171
CVMA #717

Name: Angela

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250, '12 BMW s1000rr

High Pressure Radiator Cap?

Removed the fan from the race bike. Having troubles with overheating. Anyone here running with a high pressure radiator cap? It increases the boiling point. If so, please let me know manufacturer, part number, cost, etc. The only ones I can find seem to be designed for mx. Thanks! (not interested in responses that suggest putting fan back on, I've already done the research on that).

Old September 2nd, 2014, 07:36 PM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by angela7171 View Post
Removed the fan from the race bike. Having troubles with overheating. Anyone here running with a high pressure radiator cap? It increases the boiling point. If so, please let me know manufacturer, part number, cost, etc. The only ones I can find seem to be designed for mx. Thanks! (not interested in responses that suggest putting fan back on, I've already done the research on that).
If you are having overheating problems there might be something else going on.

I wouldn't suggest a higher pressure radiator cap as a solution.

You don't need the fan unless you are sitting on the grid - waiting - after the engine is already warm. But if the ambient temperature is high, and the engine is at full operating temp, and you are idling a while - you might.

Check the mixture of your coolant. Altering the ratio of coolant to water will change the boiling point. Some coolants also claim to be able to lower the overall running temp.

Have you replaced the thermostat?
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2014, 10:56 PM   #3
angela7171
CVMA #717

Name: Angela

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250, '12 BMW s1000rr

Flushed the coolant and filled with the proper mix of Water Wetter. Next step is to pull the thermostat completely, install the 1.6 radiator cap, and avoid idling especially after a session/race. And also hope for cooler weather once race season starts later this month at Chuckwalla.

Old September 3rd, 2014, 02:02 AM   #4
crimsondragon
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

Run straight water and/or bigger radiator. Being in LA and a race bike, I'm surprised you still run a coolant mixture.
crimsondragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2014, 06:48 AM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsondragon View Post
Run straight water and/or bigger radiator. Being in LA and a race bike, I'm surprised you still run a coolant mixture.
Coolant increases the boiling point of water, prevents corrosion, and lubricates - you want it.

To the OP -

Take a look at Engine Ice - http://www.engineice.com/. Also search and get some independent reviews. From what I've seen most all have been positive. I'm pretty sure it's legal on the track, but check first.

I wouldn't remove the thermostat or increase the cooling system pressure.

If this just happens after a race session there isn't a problem - you just need a fan if you are going to idle for any length of time after the engine is fully hot.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2014, 06:50 AM   #6
mike_k
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 25 (track), '02 Honda 919, '04 Honda NSR-50 (track)

I've never run a fan on my race bike, and never had a problem overheating racing in 90-100 degree heat. The temperature readout on my Vapor Trail Tech usually stays under 200 degrees as long as you're moving. For coolant, I run distilled water mixed with Water Wetter according to the Water Wetter instructions.

But on the hot days, I do try and avoid much idling time on the grid. If there's an unexpected delay on the pre-grid or grid, I'll shut the bike off and restart it when they're ready.

Oh, and one more thing... I installed some wire mesh covering the front of the radiator to protect it from rocks that the front tire flings up. Because of this my radiator is in pretty good shape, and doesn't have any dents or deformed fins.

Last futzed with by mike_k; September 3rd, 2014 at 06:57 AM. Reason: added info
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2014, 08:48 AM   #7
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Coolant increases the boiling point of water, prevents corrosion, and lubricates - you want it.
It's a give and take. Distilled water cools better than just about anything else you'd put in your bike, so if it's enough to get you under the lower boiling point (however unlikely that is in this case), it could help with overheating.
Brother Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2014, 09:06 AM   #8
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by angela7171 View Post
Flushed the coolant and filled with the proper mix of Water Wetter. Next step is to pull the thermostat completely, install the 1.6 radiator cap, and avoid idling especially after a session/race. And also hope for cooler weather once race season starts later this month at Chuckwalla.
it's chucky. lets be realistic. we're talking 100-110f most of the year. unless you are moving at a good pace, expect the bike to start overheating without a fan. the cooling system just isn't designed for that much heat when you take away its fan and movement. just turn it off when you're sitting in hot pit waiting to go out and make sure you run a boiler overflow so you dont catch bubbles when you're waiting at the start

or if you're rich, or beautiful, you can convince someone to point a leaf blower at the front while you're stopped.

Old September 8th, 2014, 11:27 AM   #9
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
It's a give and take. Distilled water cools better than just about anything else you'd put in your bike, so if it's enough to get you under the lower boiling point (however unlikely that is in this case), it could help with overheating.
both true statements, hence distilled water with a lube/wetter/whatever is normally the go-to
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote