Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 5th, 2015, 11:55 AM   #1
pstolemy
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Syd

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

In a dilemma

Hi there!

I bought my 07 Ninja with about 1800 miles in near perfect condition for $2000. Had a few months of fun, and got some basic things checked - carb parts replaced (not thoroughly cleaned but the carbs were good), valves checked.

I hired a mechanic and did some work myself. Things did not go too smoothly, and long story short, the valve cover bolt heads got broken off. I spent a few hundred in maintaining her, though.

It was spring break for me then and I had to cover the bike up the best that I could and wait til after the semester was over.

Well, lo and behold, a month later, the cam lobes and rocker arms are rusted. I took the bike to the shop to get the bolts removed, recheck the valves, and get her up and running again... Price quote = $800.

If I provide the parts myself for rocker arms and lobes, then $500. 2-3 hours of labor, and the bolt removing kits (forget what they called them, but they were expensive). The shop currently has my bike.

I'm not sure how to proceed. I thought of some options:
-I can buy a used Ninja engine for ~$100 or so, get the parts that are needed and give them to the shop for $500. Total = ~$600-700
-Pay the shop $800 to fix it entirely
-Find someone on craigslist to fix it, total price would probably be ~$400 I'd guess?
-Sell it as is, how much would this get me? I think it'd stay disassembled since it is right now
-Sell it by parting it out, again how much would this get me?

The bike was virtually new, the main problems with it are:
-Tires were old
-Custom blinker destroyed (but I have the stock ones separate)
-Rotors, chain, some bolts have light to moderate rust
-2 Valve cover bolts missing heads
-Rocker arms and camshaft lobes rusted

Not sure what to do. Any thoughts/suggestions/opinions? Just a newbie who loves to ride but also is a bit broke right now.
pstolemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2015, 12:05 PM   #2
RitzykicksHQ
ninjette.org member

Name: RitzyKicks

Motorcycle(s): 11 Ninja 250R se

Would've bought a used engine instead of spending all that money, personally would have.

Old May 5th, 2015, 12:08 PM   #3
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Buy engine.

Buy manual.

Install it yourself and get back on the road.

Take apart old engine at your leisure for spare parts or to part out.

Learn a lot in the process.

Don't make the same mistakes in the future.

Consider this: A used, running engine is pretty much a solid object that you bolt in and hook up. A busted engine is a pile of parts that have to be disassembled, made right, and reassembled as necessary. Not to mention the hassle of removing broken bolts....

Which course do you think will be easier?

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2015, 12:09 PM   #4
pstolemy
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitzykicksHQ View Post
Would've bought a used engine instead of spending all that money, personally would have.
The engine was almost perfect prior to this, I only spent a few hundred on maintenance and stuff, but now I'm faced with this situation.

The biggest mistake I made was waiting on it for a month - even with it all covered up, moisture found its way inside the engine to get the cams and rocker arms all messed up.

Old May 5th, 2015, 12:36 PM   #5
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

as long as the cams are not pitted you may be able to polish them in place if you carefully cover the rest of the head- try spraying some wd 40 on them and polish them with a terry towel. Take the bike to a welder and have them try to tack on a nut to be able to simply unscrew the bolt- If the cams polished out fine.

Old May 5th, 2015, 03:30 PM   #6
GregS
ninjette.org member

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, GSXR-750, Ducati M1100

I would buy a used engine and just swap the whole thing
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2015, 05:34 PM   #7
pstolemy
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for the replies so far everyone.

Buying a new engine.. I found one for $100 but the guy says he got it from a friend who's gone, and has no idea on the mileage or anything about it besides that it "should be all good."
Doesn't the compression have to be good, the oil changed properly, and all that? Would I be asking for a whole lotta problems doing that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
as long as the cams are not pitted you may be able to polish them in place if you carefully cover the rest of the head- try spraying some wd 40 on them and polish them with a terry towel. Take the bike to a welder and have them try to tack on a nut to be able to simply unscrew the bolt- If the cams polished out fine.
Not bad ideas thanks!

Old May 5th, 2015, 09:41 PM   #8
crimsondragon
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

I'd salvage those cams and rockers IMO. Cams spin slower than the crank. Some oil and green scotchbrite is what I'd use. I salvaged some regrinded cams for my racecar that also had rust on them. No issues yet. Just clean them real well afterwards.
crimsondragon is offline   Reply With Quote