ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 3rd, 2015, 08:01 PM   #1
gokartmozart
gokartmozart

Name: randy

Motorcycle(s): 250 ninja ,it's realy a ninja motor on a scratch built alum chassis (avatar is my old kart)

coast enrichener, among other things

just registered about 1 hour ago , and could not get much info off another kaw forum . hope more knowledgeable people dwell here, my new kart project is a 250 ninja on an alum chassis built for clay oval racing . my question is, the vacuum hoses coming from the carbs ,one supplies vacuum to the fuel petcock ,ok so far . the other supplies the coast enrichener --- do these vacuum taps provide a pulse or a constant vacuum??? reason for asking, a fuel pump is required to overcome centrifugal force affecting fuel delivery,choices are electric or vacuum pulse. I could go either way here , but the simplest looks like the mikuni pulse type . don't want to look stupid but i'm not able to run engine right now to test vacuum, also need to pull carbs for cleaning in the ultrasonic tank
gokartmozart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2015, 08:07 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokartmozart View Post
........... do these vacuum taps provide a pulse or a constant vacuum???..........
Welcome, Randy !!!

The vacuum signal is always pulsating, in proportion to the rpm's.
Each time one of the pistons is in the admission stroke, the vacuum tubes feel a peak.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 7th, 2015, 11:37 AM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Think about it for a second. The vacuum in each carb is made by air flowing through the the venturi section of the carb. The pressure drop (or vacuum, as it's referred to) happens as air flows through a section of necking diameter followed by expansion again. Speed increases in the smaller diameter section, and pressure drops because of that. It's the same theory that allows airplanes to fly.

Now that we know why it's caused, look at how air flows. Every time a valve opens and the piston goes down, air is drawn into the head, through the carbs.

So we can assume that the vacuum will be full of pulses, since it's being created by a piston moving air in strokes.

If you have a vacuum gauge, you should be able to hook it up and read this, although the pulses will be quick and likely make reading the gauge difficult. The other way you can validate this visually is by syncing your carbs using the two bottle method. http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...-bottle_method Eventually, you'll see pulses of water vapor showing up in the bottles that corresponds to the speed of the engine firing.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2015, 01:08 PM   #4
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Quote:
just registered about 1 hour ago , and could not get much info off another kaw forum . hope more knowledgeable people dwell here, my new kart project is a 250 ninja on an alum chassis built for clay oval racing . my question is, the vacuum hoses coming from the carbs ,one supplies vacuum to the fuel petcock ,ok so far . the other supplies the coast enrichener --- do these vacuum taps provide a pulse or a constant vacuum??? reason for asking, a fuel pump is required to overcome centrifugal force affecting fuel delivery,choices are electric or vacuum pulse. I could go either way here , but the simplest looks like the mikuni pulse type . don't want to look stupid but i'm not able to run engine right now to test vacuum, also need to pull carbs for cleaning in the ultrasonic tank
I'm curious what made you pick the ninja 250 engine over a 250 motocross engine. They make more power, in a much smaller package with much less weight.
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2015, 01:15 PM   #5
xXecuterXx2
ChocolateMilk Addict

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): '05 EX-250 "Kallie" 85 KLT 110 ATC "Murdock"

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterliter View Post
I'm curious what made you pick the ninja 250 engine over a 250 motocross engine. They make more power, in a much smaller package with much less weight.
Very true, throw a 250 2smoker in there and that kart might damn well take off into the sky.

Old November 7th, 2015, 01:19 PM   #6
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXecuterXx2 View Post
Very true, throw a 250 2smoker in there and that kart might damn well take off into the sky.
I wasnt talking about a 2 stroke, I figured the class he wanted to run in would only allow 4 strokes. But even the 4 strokes make more power than the ninja 250.
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2015, 04:40 PM   #7
xXecuterXx2
ChocolateMilk Addict

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): '05 EX-250 "Kallie" 85 KLT 110 ATC "Murdock"

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterliter View Post
I wasnt talking about a 2 stroke, I figured the class he wanted to run in would only allow 4 strokes. But even the 4 strokes make more power than the ninja 250.
Again, Very true. I didn't consider classification, my badddd.

Old November 7th, 2015, 06:19 PM   #8
gokartmozart
gokartmozart

Motorcycle(s): 250 ninja ,it's realy a ninja motor on a scratch built alum chassis (avatar is my old kart)

OPEN/UNLIMITED class

First of all, I don't like 2-smokers much , ever race behind one? ...and they sound funny. Not putting down their HP/weight ,just prefer a 4-stroke
gokartmozart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2015, 05:49 PM   #9
HoneyBadgerRy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

Quote:
First of all, I don't like 2-smokers much , ever race behind one? ...and they sound funny. Not putting down their HP/weight ,just prefer a 4-stroke

As a die hard two stroke racer since I was a kid, I don't understand what's to not like, and I think four strokes are the ones to sound funny. Rotary and two stroke motors sound cool.
HoneyBadgerRy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2015, 05:46 AM   #10
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

Kind of like if a lawnmower and a chainsaw had children.
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2015, 06:57 AM   #11
HoneyBadgerRy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

To me, a single cylinder four stroke sounds like an old man farting, and a single cylinder two stroke sounds like a high tuned racing machine.

Old December 1st, 2015, 03:37 PM   #12
gokartmozart
gokartmozart

2 smoker ring ding

No debate... some people like fords , some chevys. I'll stick with my 4 strokers , just like the one you're riding now.

Old December 1st, 2015, 05:00 PM   #13
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
some people like fords , some chevys.
But no one likes Dodge! Darn things.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote