ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 12th, 2016, 07:22 PM   #41
UFOmoplata
ninjette.org member

Name: Shoulder Blade

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Hoodrat 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFOmoplata View Post
Has anyone tried sticking a pregen rotor on newgen wheel?
The answer is NO it will not fit. A bracket for either caliper must be made to move forward with this mod.

http://imgur.com/a/mrO1r

Old February 12th, 2016, 07:28 PM   #42
rubber side down
ninjette.org member

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 01 gixxer 1k, 02 gixxer 600, 02 ninja 250, a slew of dirt bikes

There are so many options with converting to 17" wheels. I went with 2nd gen ex 500 wheels. The rear wheel was very simple to do.

I took 1/8" off the sprocket side spacer to get the sprocket to line up with the chain. The removed material off the rear caliper holder on the inside of that bracket. Basically made it flush. If you look at the inside of it you will see it is raised. I removed that amount off of it. I took that where the caliper mounts to the bracket flush as well. Bolted everything up and done.

The front wheel was simple enough. The brake was the most time consuming thing. I took an 1/8" off the speedo drive to center the wheel. Had to use the 500 spacer on the other side and cut it to fit. It is to long in stock form.

The rotor is larger diameter needing the caliper to be moved out farther away from center. I took a stab at making a spacer bracket to use the stock caliper. It didn't work out the way I wanted so that bracket went into the scrap pile.

Off to ebay we went. I picked up a master cylinder and stainless steel lines and calipers off a gsxr 600 for a good deal. Doesn't hurt I have a gsxr 600 so very familiar with them. In the end I was only able to use the caliper. The length of the lines were too short. Made an adapter plate for it and found a new old stock ebc rotor to compliment the new ebc hh pads in the caliper.

A couple of pictures and showing the clearance between tires and chain guard and swing arm. The rear is a 150/60 Michelin pp2ct front is 120/70.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo233.jpg (133.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Photo236.jpg (136.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Photo235.jpg (76.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Photo234.jpg (96.6 KB, 12 views)
rubber side down is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2016, 07:36 PM   #43
UFOmoplata
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber side down View Post
There are so many options with converting to 17" wheels. I went with 2nd gen ex 500 wheels. The rear wheel was very simple to do.

I took 1/8" off the sprocket side spacer to get the sprocket to line up with the chain. The removed material off the rear caliper holder on the inside of that bracket. Basically made it flush. If you look at the inside of it you will see it is raised. I removed that amount off of it. I took that where the caliper mounts to the bracket flush as well. Bolted everything up and done.

The front wheel was simple enough. The brake was the most time consuming thing. I took an 1/8" off the speedo drive to center the wheel. Had to use the 500 spacer on the other side and cut it to fit. It is to long in stock form.

The rotor is larger diameter needing it to be moved out farther away from center. I took a stab at making a spacer bracket to use the stock caliper. It didn't work out the way I wanted so that bracket went into the scrap pile.

Off to ebay we went. I picked up a master cylinder and stainless steel lines and calipers off a gsxr 600 for a good deal. Doesn't hurt I have a gsxr 600 so very familiar with them. In the end I was only able to use the caliper. The length of the lines were too short. Made an adapter plate for it and found a new old stock ebc rotor to compliment the new ebc hh pads in the caliper.

A couple of pictures and showing the clearance between tires and chain guard and swing arm. The rear is a 150/70 Michelin pp2ct front is 120/70.
Thanks for sharing. Where did you get the bracket material? Any detailed info on the bracket fab? And holy shite 150 rear on a 250? 0.0

Old February 12th, 2016, 08:02 PM   #44
rubber side down
ninjette.org member

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 01 gixxer 1k, 02 gixxer 600, 02 ninja 250, a slew of dirt bikes

The bracket is a piece of aluminum. I had laying around. No idea where it came from. It was originally an "L" channel. I cut the 1 side off of it to make it a flat piece. I don't remember the thickness right off hand. Would have to go out and measure it if needed.

A small block mopar upper alternator bracket has the same exact holes as the fork for caliper mounting. I used that as a template for the holes to mount to the fork. After that I simply put the caliper in the proper placement and then drilled and tapped them and mounted it up.

What is not seen in the picture, is that with it being an aluminum adapter I did safety wire all 4 bolts.

Had I known the 150 was going to fit as well as it does, I might have shot the moon and went with a 160 Dunlop q3.
rubber side down is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2016, 09:22 PM   #45
UFOmoplata
ninjette.org member

I figure newgen caliper will get me closer.
http://imgur.com/a/OUBzx

The bracket will need to be 10.35mm thick. 10mm + washers.
http://imgur.com/9QJxYHS

Old February 13th, 2016, 08:25 PM   #46
Yamahawk
Chaplain

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 75 RD350 race bike, 82 XZ550RJ Vision, 81 XV920RH, 89 VTR250 Interceptor race bike, 06 Concours, 86 EX250E1

Even with the PreGen rotor, the caliper will not fit. the rotor sits too close to the right fork tube, and the caliper mounting points make the caliper too close to the rotor. Now, if you can figure a way to machine a little bit off the inside of the caliper mounting points on the right fork, you could use the stock pregen rotor and caliper, making a very stock look. Being that the caliper inner pad stop rubs the rotor, I am thinking about 3/16" would be a ballpark figure to mill off each caliper mount point. (Inner part only) Then the caliper and rotor could be aligned so that the function would be identical to the stock parts.