ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old December 1st, 2015, 06:51 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[American Motorcyclist Association] - AMA Member Tested: Rekluse EXP 3.0 Auto-Clutch

Idling is much more tolerable

Info: www.rekluse.com
MSRP: $649 (as tested)

By Jim Witters

Rekluse automatic clutches are well-known in the off-road market. They make it easier to ride over difficult, inconsistent terrain by automatically engaging and disengaging the clutch so the rider can concentrate on other riding functions.

It may occur to you that this would have benefits in less-extreme terrain. Rekluse agrees. The company hopes to capitalize by offering its clutches for additional types of motorcycles, such as the dual-sport Kawasaki KLR 650.

One of those KLR 650s is mine, a 2012 model. I recently had it fitted with a Rekluse EXP automatic clutch.

Before the Rekluse was installed in my bike, I had never ridden a motorcycle with an auto-clutch. I found a mechanic to install it for me, anyway, and off I went.

The Rekluse product literature promises “faster corners, better starts, quicker lap times.” I was eager to find out what that meant for a rider like me—mostly street, some easy off-road riding, commuting to work and an occasional day of several hundred mixed-use miles.

After a couple circles around the ASK Powersports parking lot in Columbus, Ohio, I headed onto the streets for the 10-minute ride home. My first impressions: Idling at stop lights is much more tolerable if you can stay in gear without squeezing the clutch; accelerating around slow traffic is quicker, at least for me, when I don’t have to clutch for gear shifts; and the bike launches much more quickly when I am not easing out the clutch from a stop.

It’s important to note that the clutch lever remains fully functional with the clutch installed. If the auto-clutch is engaged, and you wish to manually disengage it, you simply pull the clutch lever.

On a sunny Saturday in August, I took the KLR for a 200-mile ride through southern Ohio that included two-lane county roads; four-lane state highways; country gravel roads; and a short section of very rough two-track gravel.

Through it all, I found the Rekluse to be an asset.

I purposely started the bike from a standstill in first, second, then third gear. (Note that repeated standstill starts in high gear could cause premature clutch wear.) Each time the auto-clutch functioned perfectly, getting the bike moving efficiently. Downshifting was smooth, and compression braking worked as expected.

It’s a good idea to practice overriding the auto-clutch with the lever, especially as you get used to the engagement rate. I didn’t, and when turning around on the gravel two-track, I gave the KLR too much throttle, and I launched myself into a ditch.

I chalk it up to operator error.

All in all, I am happy with the Rekluse on my KLR, and I believe it will add to my enjoyment of the bike, on the road and off.

Click here for full story...