MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
A dude over here has a white rabbit with red eyes... Like demon red 24/7
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2014, 12:49 AM   #42
mrudich
ninjette.org member

Name: Mateo

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Anybody have any opinions on Icon Jackets? (Specifically the overlord)
mrudich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2014, 05:51 AM   #43
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I love my icon jacket. Have used it for over 8000 miles. No quality issues, no threads coming undone. I have the ARC, I'll post pictures of it post crash. I still use it. They might be overpriced, and you might be labeled a squid or douche for wearing their gear, but some of their stuff is really nice.

Old April 7th, 2014, 08:30 AM   #44
ez12a
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold), 2007 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
I wanted that jacket when I started riding but I was short $50 due to spending extra money on getting my 250 past inspection. brakes sucked when I got it :/

Good thing I got the cheaper jacket that I could afford though cuz my arms would look tattooed with scars if I didn't

what size is the jacket? if it's a S/M then I may be interested in picking it up secondhand while you get your A* depending on condition ofc.
ah sorry it's a large i think. i might not pick up the A* for a long time now that I have a A* Track Protection Vest to supplement the Assailant (the jacket lacks chest protection, and the vest provides both the back and chest).

only gripe about the assailant jacket is that the front two pockets have this perforated jersey fabric that gets stuck in the zipper rather frequently if you're not careful. But otherwise, a fine jacket. Rode in it with the liner out yesterday in sunny 80 degree weather and was fine, and this was with the A* vest.
ez12a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #45
gleyfman
ninjette.org member

Name: Genady

Motorcycle(s): 14 Ninja 300 ABS, 13 BMW F800 GS

Look for what pros are wearing and the answer is easy!
Dainese.
gleyfman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2014, 10:08 PM   #46
justinocean
Kawasaki Sith Lord

Name: Alex P. Keaton

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Funny you say that. After literally weeks of heavy research from ebay to revzilla to remote outfitters I have searched everywhere. Used and New, even women's jackets sized up. I realized that brand loyalty WAS worth something, and that each brand had characteristics that were important and continuous through all their jackets. Protection, fit, image, wearability in public, and price were all important. In the end, price was actually the least important issue (well...to a point). It then came down to two brands: AlpineStars and Dainese.

And they're both Italian (yes AlpineStars is Italian). Go figure. No doubt these guys know what they're doing when they build a long-lasting quality coat. And I wear mine forever (Hey Jesus eternity here in Heaven in great!...So you like my bike Jacket?)

And then finally the choice is...Dainese. The Laguna EVO series Jacket.

It's Just BadAss. It fits every category. Great to wear casual. Great protection. Great air venting. Great for cold weather with the thermal liner. Excellent image. Great comfortability. Will order either this or possibly the textile version for half the price. What do YOU GUYS THINK?
Note: Alpinestars JAWS was a solid 2nd place.

Last futzed with by justinocean; April 16th, 2014 at 10:24 PM. Reason: spelling
justinocean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2014, 10:24 PM   #47
Insane Pie
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250

I have a Dainese textile jacket. I absolutely love it, I've wrecked twice in it so far. It's helped up great, the only thing that got messed up was the cloth on my left shoulder, there's a hole in the fabric.

The only thing I don't like about the jacket is that two nylon loops in each sleeve hold the liner in. One of the loops ripped out of the jacket, no big deal, but now the sleeve slides around a bit while taking the jacket off.

The extra armor is a big plus, when I went down the first time the elbow armor probably saved me from a broken elbow/arm. My elbow got bruised up from the impact, but other than that I was fine.
Insane Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #48
justinocean
Kawasaki Sith Lord

Glad to hear it saved you. I like the fact that they fit a bit slimmer than others, as I'm slimmer too. Heres a pic of the textile version I'm considering. Need to order one of these two real quick so I can ride in it!

Old April 16th, 2014, 10:36 PM   #49
justinocean
Kawasaki Sith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
A dude over here has a white rabbit with red eyes... Like demon red 24/7
Those rabbits freak me out man. Get a pic of it and upload it to here I gotta see that rabbit!

Old April 16th, 2014, 10:47 PM   #50
Insane Pie
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinocean View Post
Glad to hear it saved you. I like the fact that they fit a bit slimmer than others, as I'm slimmer too. Heres a pic of the textile version I'm considering. Need to order one of these two real quick so I can ride in it!
I've heard a lot of good things about the Laguna, especially the leather one. I have the Air-Frame. The Laguna textile seems like it comes with a thermal liner which is probably really nice in the colder season. The Air-Frame only came with a wind breaker liner.

The only bad thing is that I've gained some weight.
Insane Pie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2014, 08:24 AM   #51
justinocean
Kawasaki Sith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Pie View Post
I've heard a lot of good things about the Laguna, especially the leather one. I have the Air-Frame. The Laguna textile seems like it comes with a thermal liner which is probably really nice in the colder season. The Air-Frame only came with a wind breaker liner.

Late night riding with friends who stop at Taco Bell and Denny's all the time will put weight on you lol

Old April 17th, 2014, 08:30 AM   #52
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Those rabbits freak me out man. Get a pic of it and upload it to here I gotta see that rabbit!
Will do

Old April 17th, 2014, 01:42 PM   #53
gleyfman
ninjette.org member

Research or not - it is really comes down to the feel of the product.
Yes A* is a solid quality product, it is just not as good as Dainese. Put one on and you will feel the difference immediately!
Went through three Dainese jackets so far (Two of those I still use) and all feel and function fantastic.

The only other brand I would consider sometimes - ReviT. But they mostly focus on commute/adventure gear and have less street/race representative gear.

Old April 17th, 2014, 01:49 PM   #54
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
while I'm not a fan of dianese (too much $$$ man) those are some nice looking jackets

personally I'm looking into getting my hands on an icon overlord, Scorpion eternity or A* jaws jacket in white w/full perf and upgraded back protector sometime this summer. Gonna head over to revzilla's hq and try them on to buy whichever one is most comfortable when I have the cash together for a jacket upgrade. Either one would be a massive upgrade for me.

while dianese may be a higher quality product than A*/Icon/scorpion I'd argue that A*/Icon/scorpion are still at the point where they are high enough quality to get the job done very well and fit is hugely important to me since I wear my jacket on a daily basis.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #55
gleyfman
ninjette.org member

I agree completely.

Each of these jackets will do fine in normal circumstances, especially after you upgrade armor.
And fit is very important. And this is why I love Dainese, it just fit me better.
You may also consider finding used gear, instead of getting brand new.
You may be able to afford much higher quality gear if you find a good deal.
I picked up just few weeks ago Dainese Veloce, fully perforated with insulation e.t.c. Was on Special in Cycle Gear - 449$ no tax...
It was actually cheaper than similar A* jacket they had.
I have also (Craigslist) seen slightly used Dainese Santa Monica for 350$! That is a ~700$ jacket.

Quote:
while I'm not a fan of dianese (too much $$$ man) those are some nice looking jackets

personally I'm looking into getting my hands on an icon overlord, Scorpion eternity or A* jaws jacket in white w/full perf and upgraded back protector sometime this summer. Gonna head over to revzilla's hq and try them on to buy whichever one is most comfortable when I have the cash together for a jacket upgrade. Either one would be a massive upgrade for me.

while dianese may be a higher quality product than A*/Icon/scorpion I'd argue that A*/Icon/scorpion are still at the point where they are high enough quality to get the job done very well and fit is hugely important to me since I wear my jacket on a daily basis.

Old April 17th, 2014, 02:02 PM   #56
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Ya, I'm looking into a potential used Icon overlord w/upgraded armor here on ninjette though I'm not first in line for it and I'm somewhat in between sizes so I'm heading over to revzilla to check the sizing anyway before I get it. Luckily philly is just as far from me as b'more

Old April 17th, 2014, 02:04 PM   #57
gleyfman
ninjette.org member

Yep, you want to make sure you know what you are getting.

Quote:
Ya, I'm looking into a potential used Icon overlord w/upgraded armor here on ninjette though I'm not first in line for it and I'm somewhat in between sizes so I'm heading over to revzilla to check the sizing anyway before I get it. Luckily philly is just as far from me as b'more

Old April 17th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #58
justinocean
Kawasaki Sith Lord

Quote:

The A* JAWS is the best of those in raw quality BUT....but also priciest. As long as the protection is good...get what you identify with, what makes YOU feel like YOU. Go for it!

Old April 19th, 2014, 12:33 PM   #59
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Rascally rabbit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (25.6 KB, 0 views)

Old April 19th, 2014, 12:46 PM   #60
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
don't buy based on brand. evaluate each product individually.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 19th, 2014, 01:01 PM   #61
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Rascally rabbit
that rabbit looks insane, I like

Old April 19th, 2014, 01:33 PM   #62
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

I will probably say A-stars because they make good quality products. Right now I have the AGV sniper jacket, it's a pretty well build jacket with an added insulator, on top of having a shoulder, elbow, and back protection. I only paid about $150.

BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #63
EternalNewb
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Pie View Post
Cardio and lift, bruh. Seriously, go buy a good, nice jacket that fits on tighter side, and it's plenty of financial motivation to stay in shape.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #64
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I'm just going to put this out there, my Speed&Strength textile jacket is still in one piece after a 50mph lowside today. While I don't intend to buy from the brand again due to better options like A* it did it's job fairly well.

Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:09 PM   #65
justinocean
Kawasaki Sith Lord

Quote:
Rascally rabbit
Dam. Thats a horror movie prop waiting to happen.

Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:15 PM   #66
justinocean
Kawasaki Sith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBO View Post
I will probably say A-stars because they make good quality products. Right now I have the AGV sniper jacket, it's a pretty well build jacket with an added insulator, on top of having a shoulder, elbow, and back protection. I only paid about $150.

Was looking at this jacket a year ago...almost bought it.

If anyone is interested it's on sale at bike bandit for 135.

How is the fit on it if you don't mind me asking?

Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:18 PM   #67
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

Joe Rocket, they have a leather/mesh combo made for air flow.
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2014, 08:26 AM   #68
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

I go back and forth between Alpinestars, Dainese, and RS Taichi.... all make great products. It's hard to go wrong.

Old April 25th, 2014, 08:46 AM   #69
Rogue
Hooligan

Name: Robin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja EX300

Last year I had a S&S to the Nines 2.0 (discontinued) for spring/fall and I loved it. Great air flow for cooler days, the quilted liner was perfect for chilly early spring and late fall. I'd still have it if I could have found another one in my new size.

Now, I have a Cortech LRX Series 3, and while I miss my white S&S, I like the similar fit and features of this one. It's almost as if it were tailored to fit me - perfect sleeve length, back comes down far enough without being too long. The part where it's breathable, but waterproof is pretty handy, too.

But, I have to say my absolute favorite is my Teknic Supervent. That sucker is just awesome - super cool, great styling, and out of this world fit. When/if it gets too large, I'll be searching out a tailor that can alter it for me. The only way I'll ever give that baby up is if I crash in it and it's damaged beyond repair.

All of the above have Knox armor and an articulated back protector.

Qui patiens est, teres. Teres est, ieiunare. | Twitter: @Rogue_300
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2014, 09:54 AM   #70
Ausoi
ninjette.org member

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2008 (Black) Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I got dis one and it's pretty sexy.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com..._black_600.jpg
Ausoi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2014, 09:56 AM   #71
EternalNewb
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Oooh, I like the gunmetal one.
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #72
justinocean
Kawasaki Sith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausoi View Post

Nice

Old April 25th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #73
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausoi View Post

Very nice. I wish they made more stuff like that in women's sizes. :/
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2014, 08:31 PM   #74
GearMonkey
ninjette.org guru

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I have an A* AST mesh jacket and a Teknic 2 piece leather. Both have their advantages. The A* is light and very cool, but I feel more protected in my Teknic. I've been down in it once at <20mph, and walked away with a slight scratch on my wrist (shorty gloves :/ ). People constantly ask how I'm not dying of heat exhaustion with full leathers on a hot GA day. It's because the Teknic breaths so well! It's warm yes, but not uncomfortable. I upgraded the pads with Knox and A* armor and feel very comfortable even on long hot rides or on the track and very well protected. I'd recommend Teknic if you can sill find some and are looking to save some $$$.
GearMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2014, 10:15 AM   #75
justinocean
Kawasaki Sith Lord

My Dainese Laguna EVO jacket came in.

I've got to tell you, it looks about 5x better in person. I opened the box, pulled it out and the first thing that hit my mind is "Italians should be ruling the world again". The black is blacker than the picture, and a quality deep black. The stitching and texture stick out more and makes the jacket look like more is "going on". The armor fits excellent. I mean excellent. The quality of leather is amazing. Apparently the cow who died for this used skin conditioner his whole life. Unfortunately though the size is too small so I have to return it (got a 36) for probably a 40.

So the next question is...do I get the perf or the non-perf this time? Both have liners. The perforated is cooler on the high-temp end, but the non-perf is warmer on the low-end. I don't ride in anything under say 55 degrees. Its just not worth it, not fun, in fact my neck and hands freeze (I have to ride the interstate briefly to get anywhere were I live). So I'm positive the non-perf will cover me down to that. BUT...if the perf does as well I'd be a fool not to get it. Because I can wear it 5-10 degrees higher which mean at least a month more a year. BUT I won't know the difference for sure until I wear it in this...but then I can't return it if I need to. So you know, when it gets real warm my plan is to just wear a chest protector, so neither coat will be worn in hot days of say july and august.

Any help?

Old April 26th, 2014, 10:55 AM   #76
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
I would go with the hot temperature, get the perf.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 27th, 2014, 09:10 PM   #77
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

Quote:
Was looking at this jacket a year ago...almost bought it.

If anyone is interested it's on sale at bike bandit for 135.

How is the fit on it if you don't mind me asking?
True to size, A tiny bit short on the sleeves. I could use gauntlet style gloves, but short gloves would do better on the sniper jacket. The Sniper has those Velcro straps at the wrist area. The TG-plus air -A*Stars jacket would work well with gauntlet style gloves.
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2014, 10:17 PM   #78
gleyfman
ninjette.org member

Get perf.
I have Dainese Veloce perf. Was yesterday in the mountains - 46 degrees.
I was fine in it with my T-shirt and the liner.
It breathes great in the warm weather. I will not be buying any unventilated leather ever again!!!

Quote:
My Dainese Laguna EVO jacket came in.

I've got to tell you, it looks about 5x better in person. I opened the box, pulled it out and the first thing that hit my mind is "Italians should be ruling the world again". The black is blacker than the picture, and a quality deep black. The stitching and texture stick out more and makes the jacket look like more is "going on". The armor fits excellent. I mean excellent. The quality of leather is amazing. Apparently the cow who died for this used skin conditioner his whole life. Unfortunately though the size is too small so I have to return it (got a 36) for probably a 40.

So the next question is...do I get the perf or the non-perf this time? Both have liners. The perforated is cooler on the high-temp end, but the non-perf is warmer on the low-end. I don't ride in anything under say 55 degrees. Its just not worth it, not fun, in fact my neck and hands freeze (I have to ride the interstate briefly to get anywhere were I live). So I'm positive the non-perf will cover me down to that. BUT...if the perf does as well I'd be a fool not to get it. Because I can wear it 5-10 degrees higher which mean at least a month more a year. BUT I won't know the difference for sure until I wear it in this...but then I can't return it if I need to. So you know, when it gets real warm my plan is to just wear a chest protector, so neither coat will be worn in hot days of say july and august.

Any help?

Old April 28th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #79
justinocean
Kawasaki Sith Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleyfman View Post
Get perf.
I have Dainese Veloce perf. Was yesterday in the mountains - 46 degrees.
I was fine in it with my T-shirt and the liner.
It breathes great in the warm weather. I will not be buying any unventilated leather ever again!!!
Thanks mate, will do now. Y'all convinced me.

Old April 29th, 2014, 07:36 PM   #80
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I like my leather how I like my targets... Fulla holes