ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Cargo Space

Old November 9th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #1
saxnbass
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Backpack

So I almost always have a backpack when I'm riding, as my wallet is too big to fit comfortably in my jacket and my trousers have no pockets. So I am always out riding with a backpack. It's a laptop bag and I know I could get a better bag for grocery shopping and just longer days out to haul my rain gear, GPS, and water bottle with. So what do you guys use for this purpose? What backpack, saddlebags, bum bag, etc.? I'm debating getting overpants with a zippered back pocket that would fit my wallet so I can finally ride without a backpack too. I'd put my wallet under the reat seat, but I have such a hard time getting that thing back on after putting my wallet in or taking it out.
saxnbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
So I almost always have a backpack when I'm riding, as my wallet is too big to fit comfortably in my jacket and my trousers have no pockets. So I am always out riding with a backpack. It's a laptop bag and I know I could get a better bag for grocery shopping and just longer days out to haul my rain gear, GPS, and water bottle with. So what do you guys use for this purpose? What backpack, saddlebags, bum bag, etc.? I'm debating getting overpants with a zippered back pocket that would fit my wallet so I can finally ride without a backpack too. I'd put my wallet under the reat seat, but I have such a hard time getting that thing back on after putting my wallet in or taking it out.
I just wear my The North Face Jester backpack. It isn't huge, but it isn't small. It is a nice size. I had it before I got the motorcycle and I figured it would work just fine when I need to carry stuff on the bike. My wallet fits comfortably in my jacket along with a camera (when I want to take it with me) and of course my house keys. I really don't need my backpack unless I am going to school or when I am shopping. I like riding with it on though. I feel it is just extra cushion for my back if I go down. And I have a pregen, so I have those awesome bungie hooks for the back seat. Those things are so handy. If I just got to the store for a couple things I usually just strap em down. No need for a backpack.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #3
Guoseph
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Husky FE501S, 2007 KTM 525 EXC, 2002 KTM 250 EXC, 1998 Honda VFR 800

I've worn a fanny pack outside of my leathers for my wallet and phone. Kinda dorky though, but then I looked like a power ranger so it didn't matter that much.

I went all out and got the tail rack and Givi box for commuting, but before I did that I had a Cortech Sport tail bag, and was looking seriously at the Kriega waterproof packs.

Cortech:

Kriega

Guoseph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #4
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

I know how you feel. If I'm just riding around this tailbag is what I use http://www.ebay.com/itm/Axio-Gloss-B...item3a6c7c6a70

I also put some water, meter change, and a lot of stuff that I might need.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #5
beqwarrior
ALRE all day

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE

I have the icon squad in Military base friendly ORANGE!!!!! its a bit loud but it has pockets inside of pockets I love it.
beqwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #6
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85712

Old November 9th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #7
sixer
no joy

Name: Six

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 2006 636

BeQ yeah great bag with reflection also.
Posted via Mobile Device
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2011, 07:28 PM   #8
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

+1 for Kreiga US-20 and I cant stress how much I love sidecases!
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #9
auknight
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 SE

I already have too many backpacks, and so I didn't want to dish out the money for a motorcycle specific backpack. I already had a maxpedition Vulture II backpack, which is basically a military 3 day pack with pals webbing.

46 liters, so not exactly a daily commuter. But has quick adjustable straps, sternum strap, and a convenient hideaway padded waist belt Also has compression straps. So i can carry a lot of stuff, take it off and put it on easily in full gear.

For daily type stuff (now that my tank bag is no longer with me), I use my mongo pack, also from Maxpedition.

Sure, I'd LOVE to simply have a un-stealable but affordable tail bag that i can walk away from during a stop, but we all know the only feasible way is hard luggage, which i can't invest in right now.
auknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 02:43 AM   #10
agro2l
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jamie

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Nina 250r

you can get 1 of these bags which have magnets and stick onto your tank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009_Joe_Rocket_Hammerhead_Tank_Bag_Black_Black.jpg (41.2 KB, 2 views)
agro2l is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 07:56 AM   #11
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Get a smaller wallet? It's gotta be chaeper than any other option.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 08:34 AM   #12
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

+1 for a tank bag.

I previously used an old backpack to shuttle stuff to and from the office but during the summer months it sucked b/c it hindered air flow in my jacket and made my back much hotter. Even with a JR textile mesh jacket my back would be soaked when wearing a backpack.

Swapped to the Rapid Transit 19 tank bag and it fits almost everything my backpack did plus it has accommodations for a camel back drinking system, converts to a backpack, and has a built-in rain cover.

The only real downside to the tank bag vs. backpack, and one that is much more painful lately is that it really hinders your ability to tuck behind the windscreen. When riding in cold temps, this really, really sucks.

Here's the bag stuffed with everything shown in the photo below.

Here's what's usually in the bag: spare visor (swap from clear to smoked for the ride home, I ride in early enough that it's dark out), drink, wallet, security badge, cell phone, change of clothes for working out (shorts, t-shirt, socks, etc.), ear-plugs and case, frozen lunch, surgical gloves, microfiber towel and small spray bottle for cleaning visor, plastic bag, small digital camera, balaclava, and I actually can fit my dSLR w/a battery grip and lens attached. There's plenty of extra little pockets that still have room for cash, change, or other smaller items.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #13
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

I have the cortech tail bag for now, but I mainly use a Jansport backpack that has a 65 liter capacity. Both are great for groceries or really anything else.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 09:08 AM   #14
ninjette.org member

Name: Heru

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I prefer tank bag. It will not give more load to our back.
6071 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #15
saxnbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
Get a smaller wallet? It's gotta be chaeper than any other option.
I don't have a huge wallet, it's that I wear well fitted leathers.

Old November 10th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #16
expat
ninjette.org member

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaubideux View Post
+1 for a tank bag.

I previously used an old backpack to shuttle stuff to and from the office but during the summer months it sucked b/c it hindered air flow in my jacket and made my back much hotter. Even with a JR textile mesh jacket my back would be soaked when wearing a backpack.

Swapped to the Rapid Transit 19 tank bag and it fits almost everything my backpack did plus it has accommodations for a camel back drinking system, converts to a backpack, and has a built-in rain cover.

The only real downside to the tank bag vs. backpack, and one that is much more painful lately is that it really hinders your ability to tuck behind the windscreen. When riding in cold temps, this really, really sucks.

Here's the bag stuffed with everything shown in the photo below.

Here's what's usually in the bag: spare visor (swap from clear to smoked for the ride home, I ride in early enough that it's dark out), drink, wallet, security badge, cell phone, change of clothes for working out (shorts, t-shirt, socks, etc.), ear-plugs and case, frozen lunch, surgical gloves, microfiber towel and small spray bottle for cleaning visor, plastic bag, small digital camera, balaclava, and I actually can fit my dSLR w/a battery grip and lens attached. There's plenty of extra little pockets that still have room for cash, change, or other smaller items.
Wow, thats a lot of stuff to fit in that little bag!!
expat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2011, 05:41 AM   #17
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

That was when I first got the bag too, I've managed to fit more. Just all depends on the rigidity of the items you're packing.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2011, 07:32 AM   #18
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
I avoid taking a backpack with me. I prefer not to have that weight on my back. I feel like I have more freedom of movement when I don't have a backpack on.

I use the under-seat storage space for my disc lock alarm. I use my jacket to hold money, a card with break down recovery information on it and a mobile phone I bought specially for riding which serves as both an emergency phone and a gps navigation device. Quite often that's all I take out with me on my ride.

If I need to carry more, I use a big magnetic tank bag. I live outside in a tree, but I got this girl in the house opposite my tree to model my tank bag for me:
2011-11-11-142639_3.jpg

She did a bit of a half-arsed job of it if you ask me
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #19
saxnbass

Akima, you have a pet girl?

Old November 11th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #20
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Akima, you have a pet girl?
Yep. She's rubbish though. Not very house domesticated.

Old November 11th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #21
rz3r0
ninjette.org member

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R(Sold), 11 Honda Ruckus, 12 Ducati Monster 696 ABS

Currently use a Kriega R15 Backpack, awesome backpack. I can barely feel its there. I'm thikning about picking up a R25 soon.
rz3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #22
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Why are the Kriega bags so popular then?

Old November 11th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #23
rz3r0
ninjette.org member

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R(Sold), 11 Honda Ruckus, 12 Ducati Monster 696 ABS

They feel comfortable and solid when you're wearing it. There's no drag, or sag, the padding on the back feels more solid then some of the back armor(s) I've felt in some jackets as well. Also, I just placed an order with Kriega for a R25.
rz3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #24
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

My Cortech Sport tail bag is on my bike 90% of the time. Much to my surprise, no one has touch it when park in parking lots. It pure freedom.
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #25
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

I have this Adidas Coogan backpack I bought at Academy for $25. It's big and has ample amount of space. It reminds me of my old military bug-out bag.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...ckpack&Ntk=All

Old November 14th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #26
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
I don't have a huge wallet, it's that I wear well fitted leathers.
Touche mon frer! What about the inside pocket of the jacket? My point was it seems excessive to get a backpack/tail bag/tank bag when the problem as stated seems to be just the wallet not fitting.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #27
saxnbass

I keep my phone in the inside pocket.

I guess the best solution is for those rides I'll just put my license and some cash in my pocket, and leave the wallet itself at home.

Old November 14th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #28
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Yep. She's rubbish though. Not very house domesticated.
Ha! I had a pet girl once. Very difficult to train.

Back on topic:

I keep my mobile and wallet in my jacket pockets. My insurance and registration are in a zip-lock bag strapped in under my seat cowl. I also keep one of these (pictured below) folded up in there for spontaneous purchases and friendly squirrel hitchhikers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nike.jpg (26.0 KB, 1 views)

Old November 14th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #29
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Ogio No Drag
caps is offline   Reply With Quote