ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 12th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #1
bkc888
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 250

Did my dealer just screw me?

Hi Everyone,

Excited to be here for the first time!

So I bought a new 2012 250 at my local motorcycle dealer. My experienced motorcycle friend offered to ride it to my house since I do not have a m1 license yet.

20 miles out on the freeway, the clutch cable suddenly has a lot of play and my friend could not disengage the clutch. I pulled over to help and called the dealer. Dealer only told me about the barrel adjustment for the clutch cable which I maxed out. Still has play but we were able to disengage the clutch and shift.

Took it back to the dealer the next day.

Dealer tech accused us of being too rough on the clutch which caused the sudden clutch lever play. Claimed that he could smell the clutch being burned and that the clutch looks like it has been worn down to a bike that has 5,000 miles...He fixed it by adjusting the cable settings on the clutch housing...

So my questions:

The dealer tech is obviously BSing, what is likely the real story? (Bad prep, forgot to put oil in the clutch housing[is there even oil in there]?, etc... etc.. Should I be worried about anything else breaking because of this incident?

This dealer blows. They also claimed that I didn't qualify for the 3.99% Kawasaki financing. Called Kawasaki afterwards and they told me I qualified.
bkc888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

The cable is just a cable, no hydraulics or oil involved. The clutch itself is bathed in the same oil as the engine, similar to many motorcycles. Is the oil level correct?

Not sure what would cause the travel on the clutch lever to change quickly, especially in the middle of the first ride home; more info is needed.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #3
bkc888
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
The cable is just a cable, no hydraulics or oil involved. The clutch itself is bathed in the same oil as the engine, similar to many motorcycles. Is the oil level correct?

Not sure what would cause the travel on the clutch lever to change quickly, especially in the middle of the first ride home; more info is needed.

Thanks Alex, the Service Manager insisted that a lot of newbie riders are too rough on the clutch and that causes cable travel?! (He didn't know that I never rode the bike...)

What would cause sudden cable play?

Old May 12th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Broken strands in the cable. Broken adjusters on either end of the cable. Other than that it's hard to think about what would happen suddenly.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old May 12th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #5
Stingray1000
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

My opinion they screwed ya bro....
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #6
bkc888
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Broken strands in the cable. Broken adjusters on either end of the cable. Other than that it's hard to think about what would happen suddenly.
Could there have been a kink in the cable?

Also, as clutches wear down, does that slack the cable?

I am dumbfounded...need more knowledge to combat these dealers...Thanks.

Old May 12th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #7
Stingray1000

Take it back bro.... you can cancel any contract within 3 days or 500 miles depending on the state

Old May 12th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #8
Stingray1000

Nothing to combat... take it in there and demand another bike or your money back!

Old May 12th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Nothing of the sort in California.

Old May 12th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #10
bkc888
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Nothing of the sort in California.
Yea, I need to move to Delaware.

Old May 12th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #11
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

The cable was probably not adjusted right on the end that near the clutch. But I don't know why it would suddenly change. ?????
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2012, 06:09 AM   #12
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc888 View Post
Could there have been a kink in the cable?

Also, as clutches wear down, does that slack the cable?
No.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2012, 08:26 AM   #13
Stingray1000

Dude it's called a LEMON LAW EVERY STATE HAS ONE! Applies to all NEW vehicles. GO HANDLE YO BISNET!

Old May 13th, 2012, 08:28 AM   #14
Stingray1000

The Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act (beginning with Civil Code section 1790) provides protection for consumers who lease or buy new motor vehicles. The law requires that if the manufacturer or its representative in this state, such as an authorized dealer, is unable to service or repair a new motor vehicle to meet the terms of an express written warranty after a reasonable number of repair attempts, the manufacturer is required promptly to replace the vehicle or return the purchase price to the lessee or buyer. The purchase price that must be returned includes the price paid for manufacturer-installed items and transportation but does not include the price paid for nonmanufacturer items installed by the dealer. The lessee or buyer is completely free to choose whether to accept a replacement or a refund. Whatever the choice, the manufacturer is also responsible to pay for sales or use tax; license, registration, and other official fees; and incidental damages that the lessee or buyer may have incurred such as finance charges, repair, towing, and rental car costs.

This was taken from a state website...
http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon
Go handle ur S***

Old May 13th, 2012, 09:14 AM   #15
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Name: andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250

i've had clutch issues with my new 12' ninja 250 and I know someone else who just bought the same bike as me just had their clutch go out on them (dont know full details). But it's the guys first bike and under 100 miles. He's barley rode it.

Wonder if something is up with the 12's clutch >.<

I also took my bike to the dealer, they claimed the clutch isn't under warranty. I understand this, but maybe after seeing all these problems I'm starting to almost think differently.

Oh and at least your dealer adjusted your cables for free. My dealer (who i'm not going back too) charged me 25 dollars to mess with my cables and claim the clutch was burnt out (they made the slipping worst when I rode it home to think about my options).
walty87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2012, 11:42 AM   #16
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
probably the bottom clutch adjuster lock nut wasnt tightened down properly. sloppy new bike setup regardless if it had an issue like that

Old May 13th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #17
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray1000 View Post
This was taken from a state website...
http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon
Go handle ur S***
Sorry, but you're not being helpful. Please at least read the links you post, as in this case you're simply wrong.

Quote:
The term "new motor vehicle," however, does not include motorcycles or exclusively off-road vehicles.
Getting a bike taken back due to a "lemon law" in California requires an act of divine providence, and if the problem has to do with a wear item, it's not going to happen. The way to get this fixed is with honey, not vinegar. The dealer will make it right, but you need to be in the right frame of mind to encourage them to help willingly rather than in "internet-tough-guy-mode" as demonstrated by some posters here.

Old May 13th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #18
Stingray1000

Quote:
Sorry, but you're not being helpful. Please at least read the links you post, as in this case you're simply wrong.

Getting a bike taken back due to a "lemon law" in California requires an act of divine providence, and if the problem has to do with a wear item, it's not going to happen. The way to get this fixed is with honey, not vinegar. The dealer will make it right, but you need to be in the right frame of mind to encourage them to help willingly rather than in "internet-tough-guy-mode" as demonstrated by some posters here.
Missed that one sentance.... easy, easy just trying to help sheesh....

Old May 15th, 2012, 08:21 AM   #19
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
There is a very slim chance that the cable was misadjusted at the engine side. I've seen it exactly one time where the rider did not have the clutch cable fully in the "slot" on the engine side and tightened it down, clutch worked fine. During the ride, the cable vibrated itself into the proper place, leaving the clutch far out of adjustment. This was on a classic, though, not a new gen. I've also seen plemnty where the nuts at the engine side were not tightened properly and vibrated loose.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2012, 08:58 AM   #20
Bermuda
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

The bracket on the lower ride side, where the clutch is, wouldn't really allow for the cable to find its way out. Even if it is not adjusted and tightened properly, it will only have so much play as it's the tubed housing which is in the bracket.

It could also have been the very end of the clutch cable which is placed the tiny swingarm. If that isn't placed securely in there, a little movement could cause it to find it's way in properly, and that would leave your current adjustment off.
Bermuda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2012, 08:59 AM   #21
Bermuda
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
There is a very slim chance that the cable was misadjusted at the engine side. I've seen it exactly one time where the rider did not have the clutch cable fully in the "slot" on the engine side and tightened it down, clutch worked fine. During the ride, the cable vibrated itself into the proper place, leaving the clutch far out of adjustment. This was on a classic, though, not a new gen. I've also seen plemnty where the nuts at the engine side were not tightened properly and vibrated loose.
Definitely just suggested what you have :P. Nearly happened to me when I was adjusting my cable. As soon as I had it the way I wanted, I gave it a few tugs and it popped in down there, completely threw it all off.
Bermuda is offline   Reply With Quote