ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 19th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #1
a.kozak
ninjette.org member

Name: a.kozak

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

Exhaust / Air Filter Upgrade Ideas

Hey everybody, I have been lurking around on the forums for a couple of months now ever since the purchase of my first bike, a 2006 Ninja 250. This is my first actual post on here so I am still figuring out how everything works. After reading up on a bunch of threads, I've decided that I want to upgrade the exhaust and intake on my bike. Looking at purchasing the Yoshimura RS3 slip-on combined with the K&N RU-1822 Air Filter. If I understand correctly, I will need to rejet the bike after both of these things are installed. My main concern is if I install the K&N Air filter will I end up having to remove the air box completely? If so, will that be a problem when riding in the rain? Is the K&N RU-1822 a good idea or should I go with the K&N 0990? Any installation issues I may need to know about in advance? Also do you guys think the combination of these two will make my bike a lot louder with some gains? Thanks for the help!

Last futzed with by a.kozak; February 19th, 2013 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Added Questions
a.kozak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
R-0990 is much easier, it's also cheaper (about $30 on amazon) because you only need one.

Yes, you'll have to remove the air box for those.

Yes, you'll have to re-jet.

No, it won't be an issue in the rain.

Yes, your bike will be a lot louder. The intake will be a lot louder than the exhaust. Not sure why you'd want it louder; the dB level under load is the most annoying thing about using a pod filter.

The easiest gains you're going to get are from re-jetting with the stock system (and slip-ons if you want). FWIW, I got the best results from my carbs with a full Muzzy system, an opened intake lid ( don't forget to cut the battery box off the air box if you do this. It makes jetting tons easier) and re-jetting.

Now I'm running fuel injection and a K&N R-0990 filter. It's too loud for my tastes, but it's kind of necessary for making enough space for the fuel injection stuff.

Here's info on re-jetting after pod filters:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Rejetti...ng_pod_filters
You'll want to buy some SAE#4 washers (they're about 6mm OD, 3mm ID, and 0.5mm thick) to adjust the needle height.

and here's info from Factory pro on tuning CV carbs:
http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tunin...m_engines.html

Stop by jetsrus.com for jets if you find that you need them:
http://jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_street/...X250_Ninja.htm

My $0.02 here; open the intake lid, cut off the air box, and re-jet. It will sound better without being tons louder, and you'll get better throttle response. Spend the $$ from the Yoshi slip-on's and do some suspension work and get sticky tires instead. If you're going to get an exhaust system, get a full system. I've used Two Brothers slip-on's on my bike, and they sounded great, but that's all they did. There was no noticeable boost in performance or throttle response.

This is a great resource for info on the F bikes: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Main_Page

PS, Welcome to ninjette! Be sure to go introduce yourself in the new members section so people can say hi and get to know you. There's plenty of good people around here.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #3
espacef1fan
ninjette.org member

Name: ADAM

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R

Why do you want to do mod it. This is the real question you should ask yourself.

I did the pod filters, full system etc, because I got a good deal on the stuff, and I I wanted to see if it made a noticable difference.

Some days I wish I had kept it stock. Other days its fun pretending I am riding a racebike because I can ride it full throttle everywhere and its loud. Haha.

But back to my original question. Why do you think those items need an upgrade?

Old February 19th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #4
espacef1fan
ninjette.org member

Why do you want to do mod it. This is the real question you should ask yourself.

I did the pod filters, full system etc, because I got a good deal on the stuff, and I I wanted to see if it made a noticable difference.

Some days I wish I had kept it stock. Other days its fun pretending I am riding a racebike because I can ride it full throttle everywhere and its loud. Haha.

But back to my original question. Why do you think those items need an upgrade?

Old February 19th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #5
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

Chone, what kind of suspension work are you suggesting to him? I ask because I hate the cushy suspension to death.
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2013, 02:35 PM   #6
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Basic stuff.

Springs that are better for your weight, change fork oil if necessary after you have the springs. Gold valve emulators if you're feeling wild.

A shock off an 08-12 bike, or a GSXR shock if you're feeling wild and crazy.

You could get all that plus good tires for the same price as a pair of slip-ons.

Old February 19th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #7
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

I'd definitely be up to putting a new rear shock on if I planned on keeping the bike longer.
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #8
a.kozak
ninjette.org member

Name: a.kozak

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250

Sorry for the late response guys. First off, thanks a lot choneofakind for the long detailed reply pretty much answering all my questions and giving me better recommendations with links. Had no clue that pod filters make such a big difference in sound. I'm not too sure how long I will be keeping the bike as I may want to upgrade to something bigger in the next year or two. Is it really worth upgrading the suspension on it if I'm only keeping it for that long? I like the idea of new tires as I don't think the current ones have been upgraded in a while. Any recommendations on good tires/bigger sizes on the rear? To answer espacef1fan's question, the main reason why I am modding the bike is for fun and to get some experience with modifying bikes. I like the Yoshi slipons mainly to make the bike sound a little beefier but I don't want it obnoxious loud where I'll be pissing off all my local neighbourhoods every time I drive down the street. After I get rid of the rear fender, add the slipons and put some new tires with a bigger rear I think the bike will look a lot cleaner. Thats mainly what I'm going for, if I don't get much gains with these mods that doesn't bother me. I appreciate all the replies guys! Thanks!
a.kozak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #9
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I think the suspension is worth it. Not everyone does, but I think that with some simple changes, you can learn a lot about how your bike responds and handles differently with different suspension. I think the learning is worth the time and effort as well as the better handling once you get it right.

Since you're planning on selling it after not too long, I don't think you'll lose any resale value from changing the suspension. Just mention that it's set up for a rider of X weight and explain exactly what changes you've made; spring rate, fork weight, rear shock, etc.

Like I said, read through the faq wiki on ninja250.org. There's plenty of great info on there.

Old March 1st, 2013, 10:57 PM   #10
espacef1fan
ninjette.org member

I think chone handled this thread well, nothing to add. I just wanted ot make sure with my piece that you were aware you werent gonna be running down gsxr 600s on the highway with a slip on and pod filters..lol