ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 26th, 2016, 04:40 PM   #1
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

How long did you hold your permit?

I rode motorcycles since I was three, and I rode street bike since I was 16. I got my permit on June 20th 2015 (around the time I bought my first street bike). I always planned on taking the test and getting my lisence, because I was confident enough to do it before I even got my permit, I just never took the test. We then scheduled a trip to TN, so I was going to get my licence (not sure if a IN permit is valid in TN) however my bike blew up, so I didn't have the time, I took my bike down to TN, but leaving the hotel I realised it hasn't running properly, so I borrowed my dads bike that week. Come back home I knew I needed to get the endorsement, but I still haven't fixed the bike, I was going to renew the permit, but I forgot to. I am going to go to the BMV Tuesday and get another permit, and then come back on a motorcycle on Wednesday (assuming I'm not working) and get my endorsement.

Do you guys have any stories? Did anybody take the test next day?

Old June 26th, 2016, 04:52 PM   #2
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
1 week from temps to fully licensed. I'd never even sat on a motorcycle, I just wanted one.

Got my permit on a Thursday. Borrowed gear and walked into the classroom portion of the MSF class on Friday. Passed the course, then got my licence made official and everything the following Thursday. I learned a ton, but that class is way too easy.

I didn't get a motorcycle until almost a month after the course.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2016, 04:56 PM   #3
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
exactly 364 days because i'm a noob and required time to learn............or was it because i'm a lazy bast*rd?
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 26th, 2016, 04:57 PM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I can't recall if I ever had a permit or if I just completed the MSF course and went straight to the endorsement.

Hurm...
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2016, 04:57 PM   #5
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
1 week from temps to fully licensed. I'd never even sat on a motorcycle, I just wanted one.

Got my permit on a Thursday. Borrowed gear and walked into the classroom portion of the MSF class on Friday. Passed the course, then got my licence made official and everything the following Thursday. I learned a ton, but that class is way too easy.

I didn't get a motorcycle until almost a month after the course.
We were total opposites. You had a lisence and never road a bike, I was riding and didn't even have a permit.

I was the same way with driving. I bought my first car a month after my 15th birthday (even though my parents didn't want me to). I got my permit a week after my 16th (horrible blizzard on my birthday). I had a lisence test sheduaoed for the first day I could, but was rear ended on my to the test. I ended up getting my lisence in a week or so.

Old June 26th, 2016, 06:03 PM   #6
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Held it for about a month I think. I got it just for the MSF course, then immediately got my license after that. Didn't actually buy a bike until over half a year later.

Old June 26th, 2016, 07:12 PM   #7
motodancer
ninjette.org member

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 08 250

I never had a permit. I just took the course, passed, and got my license! Prior to taking the course, I'd ridden maybe 2 hours total in a parking lot (split up on 3 different days)
motodancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2016, 07:17 PM   #8
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Had mine 11 months and the guy I bout my first bike from had his 5 years and counting. His wife took the MSF after a week.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2016, 07:22 PM   #9
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
ihad ridden dirt bikes for a couple years before getting a street bike. went to the dealer, put a deposit down on a brand new bike, they loaned me a used Rebel, I went down the street to DMV, took the written test for my permit, then took the riding test, they had me ride aound a row of cars in the parking lot, gave me my license, I rode back to the dealership and rode my new bike home. had a buddy drive me back to get my car.

that was 1986.

took the MSF BRC for the first time last july.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2016, 07:23 PM   #10
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
The guy I bout my first bike from had his 5 years and counting. His wife took the MSF after a week.
The guy I bought my bike from left his and his friend's who he bought the bike from(s) permit in the bike. They only had the bike a couple months each.

I'm pretty sure they never got their lisences, because that bike was horribly maintained. The rear wheel was at a massive angle in the swingarm, the rear tire had a horrible flat spot, all the adjustments were out of wack. If a beginner who didn't know much rode that bike they would likely come to the conclusion that they had zero skill and didn't like riding.

Old June 26th, 2016, 07:34 PM   #11
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Mine was a year old with 300 miles on it. Full Jardine 5 and re-jetted, It was Cherry He had a liter bike and the 250 was for his wife and she did not like riding.

Old June 26th, 2016, 07:36 PM   #12
HoneyBadgerRy

I think mine had around 3700 miles. I probably put 2000 or so on it. The miles I put on my dads bikes really put that to shame.

Old June 26th, 2016, 07:43 PM   #13
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I bought the Vulcan in August. All the MSF classes were full long before that, so I just got my permit and rode with my buddies. In Michigan, they're only good for 6 months, so it expired over the winter. I registered for my MSF class as soon as it opened up, but it was still a little while before the weather got nice enough to actually have the classes. I went back to the SOS to see if I could get my permit extended. It turns out you can if you do it before it expires, so I had to take the 20 question, multiple-choice test again to get another permit. I rode on that for another month or two before my MSF class and getting my full endorsement. So it was 4-5 months total riding on my permits, with a winter break in the middle.

I think I rode my cousin's CT70 a couple times, but essentially all of my previous riding experience was quads. The old TRX125, Blaster, Banshee, Raptor... Never had my own, but people around me always seemed to have them.

As for my regular license, I was one of the younger ones in my class with a September birthday, so I wasn't actually old enough to take driver ed after my freshman year like most of the kids in my class. I took it after my sophomore year, so I only had my permit a month or two before getting my full license. But we're countryfolk and my parents have nearly 100 acres, so I'd already been driving the quad, tractors, trucks, etc. for years, just not at highway speeds.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2016, 07:50 PM   #14
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
I bought the Vulcan in August. All the MSF classes were full long before that, so I just got my permit and rode with my buddies. In Michigan, they're only good for 6 months, so it expired over the winter. I registered for my MSF class as soon as it opened up, but it was still a little while before the weather got nice enough to actually have the classes. I went back to the SOS to see if I could get my permit extended. It turns out you can if you do it before it expires, so I had to take the 20 question, multiple-choice test again to get another permit. I rode on that for another month or two before my MSF class and getting my full endorsement. So it was 4-5 months total riding on my permits, with a winter break in the middle.

I think I rode my cousin's CT70 a couple times, but essentially all of my previous riding experience was quads. The old TRX125, Blaster, Banshee, Raptor... Never had my own, but people around me always seemed to have them.

As for my regular license, I was one of the younger ones in my class with a September birthday, so I wasn't actually old enough to take driver ed after my freshman year like most of the kids in my class. I took it after my sophomore year, so I only had my permit a month or two before getting my full license. But we're countryfolk and my parents have nearly 100 acres, so I'd already been driving the quad, tractors, trucks, etc. for years, just not at highway speeds.
In IN the permit last a year. I beoive you can just pay $8 and get another year up to the day it expires, but once it expires you need to retake the test. After two terms if you don't get your endorsement you need to wait a year before getting another permit.

I didnt get my drivers licence until three quarters through JR year. Being young for you class sucks. I was always in the advanced classes, so I was plenty smart, but everyone was always bigger, faster, stronger, taller, etc than me. It wasn't until late high school that I caught up. Now I'm the one who's bigger, faster, and stronge. (Not than everybody, but than average).

Old June 26th, 2016, 08:38 PM   #15
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I didn't take long. I took the written test to get my permit the week or so before the MSF training course. Passed that, ending Sunday evening, and hubby had already been scouting bikes for me so we went and looked at it. Picked up my skills waiver Tuesday, filed that with the DMV, and my license was issued the next day. Didn't take long in the mail, either. Same Tuesday, we bought my bike.

So I had my permit for about a week or so.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2016, 04:50 AM   #16
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

I think I had my permit for 2 weeks, then took the MSF. MSF, around here, requires a valid permit before you can take it.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2016, 05:05 AM   #17
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
In CA I held it for 6 months but only because I needed to, legally. Approximately ten seconds after I could apply for the license, I did it. The tests are honestly jokes.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2016, 05:37 AM   #18
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
In CA I held it for 6 months but only because I needed to, legally. Approximately ten seconds after I could apply for the license, I did it. The tests are honestly jokes.
I figured it was. I don't want to be a dick, but if some of those cruiser riders got their lisemces on those huge bikes, there isn't a dout in my mind I could get mine when I was four.

Also if the test is anything like the drivers permit, drivers lisence, shofer lisence, or motorcycle permit than I could pass it with zero study time and no stress.

Old June 27th, 2016, 06:22 AM   #19
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
One of the questions was wrong, too. It said you should release your rear brake if it started to slide. Kind of disturbed me a little.

Old June 27th, 2016, 06:37 AM   #20
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
One of the questions was wrong, too. It said you should release your rear brake if it started to slide. Kind of disturbed me a little.
How about the push left lean left turn left question? I was like WTF are you talking about? One hand is pushing and the other is pulling so which hand are we talking about here? I'm a F**king professional motorcycle racers and yeah I got that one wrong.

I left with my license and a deepened doubt for the skills of my fellow roadway users.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 27th, 2016, 07:26 AM   #21
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Is it talking about when the rear locks up? The Total Control book I have says if that happens to gently let off the rear brake and then gently get back on it once you've regained traction. Are you saying that would be wrong? If so, what should you do in that situation?
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2016, 07:34 AM   #22
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
Is it talking about when the rear locks up? The Total Control book I have says if that happens to gently let off the rear brake and then gently get back on it once you've regained traction. Are you saying that would be wrong? If so, what should you do in that situation?
In general it's fine to ride it out unless you start to fall over. And even then, that's usually the better option. Your book sounds like it's talking about a technique that requires a lot of practice and familiarity with the bike to use effectively in an dodgy situation. Not something for people who have just gotten their license (by the standards of CA, anyway).

If you brake hard on the rear and it starts to slide out, a lot of people would be tempted to immediately release the rear brake to regain traction. This'll cause the rear to immediately grip the asphalt and possibly send you into a highside. If I have to fall down, I'd prefer to let the bike slide rather than go airborne.

Old June 27th, 2016, 07:40 AM   #23
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
High sides hurt

a lot

Old June 27th, 2016, 07:47 AM   #24
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
In general it's fine to ride it out unless you start to fall over. And even then, that's usually the better option. Your book sounds like it's talking about a technique that requires a lot of practice and familiarity with the bike to use effectively in an dodgy situation. Not something for people who have just gotten their license (by the standards of CA, anyway).

If you brake hard on the rear and it starts to slide out, a lot of people would be tempted to immediately release the rear brake to regain traction. This'll cause the rear to immediately grip the asphalt and possibly send you into a highside. If I have to fall down, I'd prefer to let the bike slide rather than go airborne.
understood, thanks
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2016, 08:23 AM   #25
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
Depending on your perspective, he's going left and doing some kind of ninja kick!

Old June 27th, 2016, 08:34 AM   #26
InvisiBill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15

Also, http://www.shifting-gears.com/2015/0...lowside-crash/ is the page that image originally came from. It has some info about low- and high-sides. I wouldn't necessarily trust every word on that page, but it'll give you some info if you're not excessively familiar with crashing.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***

Old June 27th, 2016, 08:57 AM   #27
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

I got the motorcycle endorsement added onto my probationary DL. I was the youngest guy in the MSF class by at least a decade. A month after the class, I got the bike from another new rider in New York who wanted to upgrade to a 600 after a few months of riding.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2016, 09:11 AM   #28
netdobeiras
ninjette.org member

Name: steven

Motorcycle(s): 2004 kawasaki ninja 250

I got my permit last year in february and had it for a few months until august of last year. Got my motorcycle license from a regular riding test, not MSF course. took it on my 250 here in new york. All i had to do was ride to a parking lot and do circles and number 8 figures.
netdobeiras is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2016, 09:53 AM   #29
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
How about the push left lean left turn left question? I was like WTF are you talking about? One hand is pushing and the other is pulling so which hand are we talking about here? I'm a F**king professional motorcycle racers and yeah I got that one wrong.

I left with my license and a deepened doubt for the skills of my fellow roadway users.
I figured it was about counter steering. The question was something like "what is the first thing you do when coming into a left turn?" And the awnsers were like "push the handlebars with your left hand, push the handlebars with your right hand, pull on both brakes, do nothing and lean over" so I chose push left.

Old June 27th, 2016, 09:59 AM   #30
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerRy View Post
And the answers were like:
A) push the handlebars with your left hand
B) push the handlebars with your right hand
C) pull on both brakes
D) do nothing and lean over
The answer is E) Use your damn turn signal if it's an intersection

Spoiler for topic:

Old June 27th, 2016, 10:03 AM   #31
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post
The answer is E) Use your damn turn signal if it's an intersection
But, what if its not an intersection.

Not fun fact: in my car I turn on my signals for stupid reasons all the time, like turning from my driveway into my garage, or making a slow sandy blind 90 on the road when you have no other choice.

Old June 27th, 2016, 10:09 AM   #32
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Quote:
But, what if its not an intersection.

Not fun fact: in my car I turn on my signals for stupid reasons all the time, like turning from my driveway into my garage, or making a slow sandy blind 90 on the road when you have no other choice.
The questions are too vague, they need more details otherwise we could be speaking about two different circumstances which require different responses.

I get irritated by people who can't use their turn signals properly, around here everyone seems to put them on exactly as they turn (which doesn't help a bit).

Spoiler for topic:

Old June 27th, 2016, 10:11 AM   #33
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

I've had 2. One for 365 days and one for a week.

Just an FYI, if you don't get a license / MC endorsement in the 365 days, you no longer have a valid drivers license. Ask me how I know.

Apparently when you apply for a MC permit, your drivers license is invalidated and then renewed when you pass your MC test. I guess the reasoning is that the expiration for your license changes when you get your MC endorsement.

I was eye opening when I got pulled over for not having a front plate on my car and the police officer telling me that I wasn't a licensed driver .
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2016, 10:18 AM   #34
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacob View Post

Just an FYI, if you don't get a license / MC endorsement in the 365 days, you no longer have a valid drivers license. Ask me how I know.

Apparently when you apply for a MC permit, your drivers license is invalidated and then renewed when you pass your MC test. I guess the reasoning is that the expiration for your license changes when you get your MC endorsement.

I was eye opening when I got pulled over for not having a front plate on my car and the police officer telling me that I wasn't a licensed driver .
Cali law only but you get to split so...

Old June 27th, 2016, 10:18 AM   #35
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacob View Post

Wow! That might be different state by state, but I will make sure to get my endorsement asap.

Did you have to retake your drivers lisence test?

Old June 27th, 2016, 10:19 AM   #36
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Sorry, I should have said that.

Old June 27th, 2016, 10:20 AM   #37
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
That's reliving.

About lane splitting, I do it all the time, nobody bats an eye at it in IN.

Old June 27th, 2016, 10:22 AM   #38
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Wow! That might be different state by state, but I will make sure to get my endorsement asap.

Did you have to retake your drivers lisence test?
I had to retake the paper test. Start to finish in 5 minutes. The window lady asked me what my problem was when I brought the test to the window, I told her I was done. She gave me this face .

Old June 27th, 2016, 10:24 AM   #39
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post
I get irritated by people who can't use their turn signals properly, around here everyone seems to put them on exactly as they turn (which doesn't help a bit).
I'd say up here 25% of people don't use turn signals, 50% of people turn them on at the intersection, and 15% turn them on while turning. So yeah, they are pretty worthless. Just assume everybody is turning both directions at every moment unless stated otherwise.

Old June 27th, 2016, 07:41 PM   #40
InvisiBill

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
I'd say up here 25% of people don't use turn signals, 50% of people turn them on at the intersection, and 15% turn them on while turning. So yeah, they are pretty worthless. Just assume everybody is turning both directions at every moment unless stated otherwise.
I drove down to Indy to look at a Syclone. I can probably count on one hand the number of turn signals I saw while in IN.