ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old February 4th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #1
Eagle981
ninjette.org member

Name: Guy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250R

LED Integrated Taillight/Signals Guide?

I searched for prolly a half hour for information regarding installing an LED taillight with integrated signals (I'm looking to use a R6 taillight). I got some info from reading some similar threads but was wondering if there was a written guide with pictures somewhere that I just couldn't find. Any help on doing this clean and right would be great.

Thanks
Eagle981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Eagle981
ninjette.org member

Also, is there a way to wire lights (any kind) to be running lights, brake lights, AND signals, or is that impossible?

Old February 4th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #3
SabreValkyrn
ninjette.org member

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Motus MSTR (Kara), 1990 Ninja 600R (ZX600C3) (Scrappy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle981 View Post
Also, is there a way to wire lights (any kind) to be running lights, brake lights, AND signals, or is that impossible?
Take a look at http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want_...pods_into_DRLs for running lights + signals.

And this for Running/brake lights http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want_...y_rear_sockets

I'm using LEDs in all three pods of my tail light without issues. AFAIK LED turn signals are what cause issues. Because the flasher is load/resistance based, and LEDs don't have enough resistance to "slow down" the flashing with stock relay. Or both sides flash with LED turn signals because of resistance/electricity going he "opposite" way.

With some electrical circuit logic, it would be fairly easy to set up with signals flashing between low/high instead of stock's on/off.
Have Brake/turn on the high and running on low filament.

I looked a bunch for my integration too, didn't find much in the way of LED.

On a side note; integrated turn signals are illegal by federal law. Center of brake light to edge of turn signal lens must be 5 inches and each turn signal must be 9 inches edge-to-edge apart. Rather, at least one pair must conform to those specs. But then again, going 1 MPH over the speed limit is illegal too.

Looks like CZroe is trying to do the same thing http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113989

Last futzed with by SabreValkyrn; February 4th, 2013 at 10:38 PM. Reason: At least one pair
SabreValkyrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #4
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreValkyrn View Post
On a side note; integrated turn signals are illegal by federal law. Center of brake light to edge of turn signal lens must be 5 inches and each turn signal must be 9 inches edge-to-edge apart. Rather, at least one pair must conform to those specs
Shhhhh! We already know it's not smiled upon by the men in blue, but we aren't supposed to be willingly letting them in on that fact.

If you get amber lenses for the turn signals in the pods, it's less illegal looking upon a quick glance. I haven't gotten in trouble for it and I've been running them for 2+ years now. The police officers around town all know me and wave when they see me; none of them have given me trouble about my bike mods.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2013, 11:23 PM   #5
SabreValkyrn
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
If you get amber lenses for the turn signals in the pods, it's less illegal looking upon a quick glance.
When in doubt, use amber. You can't have flashing red or blue essentially anywhere and red can't be facing forward. Amber is better in night and day and red is apparently less visible during the night and day.

Fiance loaned me the money for my bike, so I kinda am super paranoid about legality for the things I do. She already dislikes me riding enough:P

Last futzed with by SabreValkyrn; February 4th, 2013 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Reason

Old February 5th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #6
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
When in doubt, use amber.
Yessir. That was my thinking too. Check out my avatar

Old February 5th, 2013, 08:54 AM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
When in doubt, use amber. You can't have flashing red or blue essentially anywhere and red can't be facing forward. Amber is better in night and day and red is apparently less visible during the night and day.

Fiance loaned me the money for my bike, so I kinda am super paranoid about legality for the things I do. She already dislikes me riding enough:P
I think the legal requirement has more to do with distinguishing it from the brake. There is a minimum distance apart for amber that is much lower than the minimum distance apart for red (only realistically possible on a full-size vehicle like a car).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Eagle981
ninjette.org member

Quote:

On a side note; integrated turn signals are illegal by federal law. Center of brake light to edge of turn signal lens must be 5 inches and each turn signal must be 9 inches edge-to-edge apart. Rather, at least one pair must conform to those specs. But then again, going 1 MPH over the speed limit is illegal too.
Saw CZRoe's thread will look at the other. Just wish someone had done a guide.

As far as what I've quoted, I don't think this is accurate because turn signals aren't even required in AZ so how can it be federal law to have those specs? Just sayin

Also if it's illegal to have integrated lights, why do some sport bikes have them stock?

Old February 5th, 2013, 12:07 PM   #9
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
There's sport bikes that have integrated turn signals from the factory? The closest thing I've seen to that is the current generation of GSXR with their duck-tail rear end:

Old February 5th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #10
soundsfasterthanitis
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 250R

Harley Davidson i believe patented the integrated turn signals in some form so they are the only oem with them, at least as of my research after I was rear ended in July. They get away with it because their fat-assed motorcycles still maintain the required spacing between turn signals. However, an aftermarket one most likely will not, and you may get into trouble if you are rear ended, like me. Well actually I didn't get into trouble and the other rider (harley guy) was determined to be completely at fault, but still, I converted my bike back to stock and advise you to go with stock as well.

Just my 2 cents
soundsfasterthanitis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #11
SabreValkyrn
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle981 View Post
As far as what I've quoted, I don't think this is accurate because turn signals aren't even required in AZ so how can it be federal law to have those specs? Just sayin

Also if it's illegal to have integrated lights, why do some sport bikes have them stock?
S5.1.1.25 Each turn signal lamp on a motorcycle shall have an effective projected luminous lens area of not less than 2258 square mm. (3.5 square inches).

As stated at the very bottom in http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...=r49CFR571.108

Code:
Turn signal lamps	

At or near the front—1 amber on each side of the vertical centerline at the
 same height, and having a minimum horizontal separation distance (centerline
 of lamps) of 16 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance between 
lamp and headlamp is 4 inches.
At or near the rear—1 red or amber on each side of the vertical centerline,
 at the same height and having a minimum horizontal separation distance
 (centerline to centerline of lamps) of 9 inches. Minimum edge to edge 
separation distance between lamp and tail or stop lamp is 4–inches, when a
 single stop and taillamp is installed on the vertical centerline and the turn 
signal lamps are red.

Height above surface: Not less than 15 inches, nor more than 83 inches.
A lot of aftermarket integration kits aren't DOT approved. From what I can tell, as long as your signals can be seen (and you're not an ass to the officer/inspector) they overlook it.

I like ATGATT and all the lights all the time. High beam, more running lights, etc. Being seen is good. As sexy as a fenderleess matte black bike with a leather-clad rider is, I much prefer my Yellow baby and my Jaunt 2 Day-glo.