ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Old June 1st, 2016, 06:06 PM   #1
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Zeta Quick Turn Throttle

I originally mentioned this in MikeK's build thread, but I thought it deserved it's own space so others might find it.

Zeta makes an aluminum QT throttle (Part number ZE45-5101) that runs $30 shipped. It's officially for a variety of dualsport/enduro/dirtbike/sumo things like the KLX250, but it fits my ('13 Ninja 300) stock throttle housing no prob. I came across it when specing out a sumo build, and made an educated guess about parts commonality. To my delight, that guess worked out.
Pros:
  • $30USD shipped via Amazon prime. ~$30 + shipping elsewhere.
  • 20 degrees less rotation to WOT, by my measure.
  • Super smooth. I like the feel quite a bit better than stock. YMMV
Cons
  • It's almost 5mm shorter than the stock tube. There are plenty of ways to address that. Moving your assembly 5mm and getting appropriate grips is one route. I personally cut a bit off a cheap $10 plastic throttle tube to fill the space beneath the grip.
  • There's only one size. You don't get the adjustable cams of a more expensive alternative
As a budget option, I think it's worth every penny of it's tiny price. It's not the comparatively sophisticated solution offered by Motion Pro, but it's definitely a step up from the OEM bits.

Last futzed with by toEleven; June 1st, 2016 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Added MikeK link
toEleven is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old June 1st, 2016, 06:46 PM   #2
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
By any chance do you have the measurement of the wheel on the Zeta or the stocker?

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2016, 07:33 PM   #3
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
By any chance do you have the measurement of the wheel on the Zeta or the stocker?
I didn't have enough motivation to put on pants, but luckily my calipers and phone/cam were within arms reach. Didn't pull apart my throttle to get a Zeta measurement as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stock cam.jpg (128.8 KB, 8 views)

Old June 1st, 2016, 07:34 PM   #4
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Oh, and the rotation comparison that my 20 deg figure is drawn from

Old June 2nd, 2016, 09:40 AM   #5
InvisiBill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Thanks. I added the part number to your pic and put a copy on my site, just for future reference.

It looks like it's a different part (46019-0060 vs. 46019-0001), but the same size as the NewGen tube. It might be something as simple as a different grip on it, or it could have other material changes.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 11:18 AM   #6
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Hmm, I can't seem to remember dirt bike grips and road race grips being different lengths. Seems kinda odd that it would be shorter. How does this compare to the R6 tube?
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2016, 02:22 PM   #7
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
I've seen the R6 tube mentioned, but I have no experience with it. I don't know the details, so I don't have a comparison.

Is that also just a drop in replacement? If it's in the same ballpark for price, I'm willing to get one and compare.

Old June 2nd, 2016, 05:18 PM   #8
InvisiBill

MOTM - Aug '15
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26270 has info about the R6 (and some other models) throttle tube.

From some quick research, I think the ZE45-8101 is the nylon version of the ZE45-5101. Nylon applications vs. aluminum applications. I don't know if there's a good reason to prefer one over the other, but the nylon one is probably closer to stock. There's one listed on Amazon for $14 shipped.

Old June 2nd, 2016, 06:22 PM   #9
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
Hmm, I can't seem to remember dirt bike grips and road race grips being different lengths.
My CBR and Ninjette don't even share the same grip length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26270 has info about the R6 (and some other models) throttle tube.

From some quick research, I think the ZE45-8101 is the nylon version of the ZE45-5101. Nylon applications vs. aluminum applications. I don't know if there's a good reason to prefer one over the other, but the nylon one is probably closer to stock. There's one listed on Amazon for $14 shipped.
In this case, the reason to prefer one over the other is that only one is is quick turn (Hi speed, as Zeta labels it). The aluminum version is sold in Standard and Hi Speed variants; the nylon (as I understand it) is Standard only and should match the specs of the OEM parts it's meant to replace. The P/N I listed for the Al version should be a quicker turn on the officially listed models, not just the Ninjette.

Old June 3rd, 2016, 09:33 AM   #10
InvisiBill

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by toEleven View Post
In this case, the reason to prefer one over the other is that only one is is quick turn (Hi speed, as Zeta labels it). The aluminum version is sold in Standard and Hi Speed variants; the nylon (as I understand it) is Standard only and should match the specs of the OEM parts it's meant to replace. The P/N I listed for the Al version should be a quicker turn on the officially listed models, not just the Ninjette.
Yeah, that factor seems to have gotten missed in my comparison... I saw the Open/Closed part numbers, and my brain was thinking Standard/Quick. If they're not larger wheels, then there's no point.

Old June 3rd, 2016, 10:07 AM   #11
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by toEleven View Post
My CBR and Ninjette don't even share the same grip length.
LOL. Well to be fair I never actually measure the throttle tube lengths on different models but I have put the same model grips on all of them without issue. In this particular case the grips are Renthal Road Race Dual Compounds. That includes 6 different bikes (250R, SV650, 600F3, XR100, ZX6R, and 636). The grips may be stretched or scrunched slightly on each installation though. I may grab one of these and take a look.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2016, 07:49 PM   #12
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Zeta wheel measurement, and side by side shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG2104.jpg (189.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2107.jpg (146.0 KB, 13 views)