ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old October 1st, 2011, 10:37 AM   #81
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post
If you want to actively engage in riding a motorcycle, buy a Ninja 250.

That was most of the reason I bought the ninja. RIDING not sitting passively.
And I asked the dealer what was good for twisties, he took me right to the ninja.

Watch the big boys in a parking lot and watch an experienced ninja rider in a parking lot. It's nimble and light. Like a jet compared to a bomber. A jet ski compared to an ocean liner. A polo horse compared to a logging horse.
I personally find my 600 far more engaging than the Ninja 250 I had.

I have no problems with parking lot maneuvering. And I certainly have no problems riding the twisties.

Every time one of these threads pops up, there are always people who start shouting stereotypes. Ride what you want and who the hell cares what someone else thinks, especially someone who has yet to ride?

Old October 2nd, 2011, 10:02 PM   #82
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
I personally find my 600 far more engaging than the Ninja 250 I had.

I have no problems with parking lot maneuvering. And I certainly have no problems riding the twisties.

Every time one of these threads pops up, there are always people who start shouting stereotypes. Ride what you want and who the hell cares what someone else thinks, especially someone who has yet to ride?
Yeah you're right of course but nothing wrong with promoting the virtues of a nimble small bike.

And I never thought about people who ride 600's, I guess they're a beautiful medium - most of the people I talk to that find ninjas so fun and active ride 1000RRs.
They have no issues in twisties either but many have commented that the power of a 1000rr kind of gets wasted on city streets. Your 600 may be perfect solution for YOU. Nice.

I think the poster DID care what others thought. Maybe you don't but none of us are perfect. Sorry if you were offended.
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2011, 07:04 AM   #83
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Yeah it looks like you aren't the only one that runs into people like that riding a 250. When I first told my best friend he said "why not just buy a scooter then if you are going to get a 250?" It is the equivalent of telling someone that wants to get a toyota celica to instead go for a porsche 911. My coworker did tell me to get a Hayabusa instead of a ninja 250 and here is his reasoning: If you are going to die anyways, you might as well go out with a bang. Original Poster, once you get comfortable riding with your bike, why don't you take it to a few turns and show your zxr friend just how girly your bike really is? Then you can say hmmm you got beaten by a girl, so what does that make you?
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2011, 07:39 AM   #84
PlanB
ninjette.org member

Name: Ric

Motorcycle(s): 09 Kaw 250 Ninja, 73 M.Guz V7 Sport, 01 Kaw ZG1000, 90 Hon CBR1000f,86 Hon XR 600, 86 Hon XR250, 73 Hon CB 350

NOT just for 'beginners':

Some days, 0-60 in 7.2 seconds is just right...other days 0-60 in 2.7 sec. feels better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 09Ninjette.jpg (172.3 KB, 10 views)

Last futzed with by PlanB; October 3rd, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
PlanB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:28 AM   #85
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNinja View Post
Yeah it looks like you aren't the only one that runs into people like that riding a 250. When I first told my best friend he said "why not just buy a scooter then if you are going to get a 250?" It is the equivalent of telling someone that wants to get a toyota celica to instead go for a porsche 911. My coworker did tell me to get a Hayabusa instead of a ninja 250 and here is his reasoning: If you are going to die anyways, you might as well go out with a bang. Original Poster, once you get comfortable riding with your bike, why don't you take it to a few turns and show your zxr friend just how girly your bike really is? Then you can say hmmm you got beaten by a girl, so what does that make you?
I used to equate motorcycling with death and bad accidents. I think it's an attitude that pervades many societies.

I still think motorcycles are dangerous, I just think the danger is far over exaggerated and that you can make bikes quite safe by using intelligence.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2011, 10:38 AM   #86
Amezcua
ninjette.org member

Name: joe

Motorcycle(s): zx10r (2011 ninja250r sold)

This happens to me all the time when I go to bike nights, people always look at me funny come around my bike and giggle, that after 10 minutes of figuring out the cc's of my ninja and yes been around 600s and 1000s makes me want to get a bigger bike but once I get on the road I forget all that crap because I love my 250, I rode with couple bigger bikes and I always laugh because SOME of them haul ass on the Straight roads, but when it comes to curves they ride like squids but like some one said 80mph fall will hurt just the same no matter the size.

Old October 3rd, 2011, 11:23 AM   #87
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 two-fiddy (red)

Just this weekend i was at a wedding and talking to a buddy i havent seen in a while. Turns out he had recently gotten a bike so we were talking. I figured him to be the type to make a smart ass comment about it being a 250. But he had the right attitude and just figured riding is fun.

Like i was telling him, I've been riding a long time and feel comfortable on a bigger bike and of course it'd be cool to have a 1000cc bike but at the end of the day i have a wife and kid, a mortgage, 2 car payments, insurance all over the place, daycare, blah blah blah. I really wanted a brand new bike and this one fit my budget with overall price and maintenance. Essentially the only plac ei had to give in performance-wise is speed. It's still fast enough to have fun and thats the point of it; to have fun.
Ninja Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2011, 08:28 PM   #88
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

I dint see more than a very few women on bikes where i am. I've seen more women on 883's than anything else, then bigger HD's and metric cruisers. The very few women I've seen on sport bikes were gansta wannabe's riding with a crew of gansta wannabe's. ( straightaways @ 140, turns @ 30 ) In metro NY...ninjette is def not a girls bike.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #89
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

It erks me to no end when people act like that. It's probably why my circle of motorcycle friends is small. It consists only of those who are true motorcyclists and not hung up on size or type of bike.

I had a kid come up to me talking about how he was the fastest rider in the whole town on his "souped up" R1. I asked if he had ever been to the track and of course he said no. He of course talked **** about my little 250 and just didn't get it until I told him I had been riding for almost as long as he's been alive and would smoke his ass in the canyon. (we have a scenic drive that is so tight and windy the speed limit is 15...perfect for a 250 to kick an r1's ass, lol). He got cocky of course....

I just tell them how it is. I ride a 250 because a) for me it economical and b) it's one heck of a fun bike.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #90
AznJoJo
ninjette.org Bunny

Name: Jojo

Motorcycle(s): none, cuz i'm a loser.

Well I think you're all fine gentlemen who know what they like. I would just ignore the idiotic comments, but don't let it kill a friendship...
AznJoJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #91
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarC View Post
It erks me to no end when people act like that. It's probably why my circle of motorcycle friends is small. It consists only of those who are true motorcyclists and not hung up on size or type of bike.

I had a kid come up to me talking about how he was the fastest rider in the whole town on his "souped up" R1. I asked if he had ever been to the track and of course he said no. He of course talked **** about my little 250 and just didn't get it until I told him I had been riding for almost as long as he's been alive and would smoke his ass in the canyon. (we have a scenic drive that is so tight and windy the speed limit is 15...perfect for a 250 to kick an r1's ass, lol). He got cocky of course....

I just tell them how it is. I ride a 250 because a) for me it economical and b) it's one heck of a fun bike.

That is perfect!! You will be able to stay in your powerband in crazy tight turns like that. This is only semi off-topic but has anyone here seen the anime Initial D? This conversation reminds me of that anime: it is about talent and not horsepower.

Old October 5th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #92
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

It's also about character. I love bikes that may not be the pretiest or the fastest but they either have a unique character, history OR it takes character to ride it in the midst of whiney posers. I feel both of my bikes fit the bill.

If the kid pushes it much more I'm going to take the RC and break his heart.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #93
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I don't have my Ninjette anymore, but I rode my wife's TU in to school tonight. I thought I was going to die, but damn was it fun. I would have to do a few things with it if it were my bike to make it liveable for me, but it was nice to just drop the clutch and go.

The funniest part was me tucking behind the flyscreen to keep speed up so I could do a whopping 75 down a hill. I'm sure I looked ridiculous, but as I've said before, I just don't care. Like I said, massive fun.

OP, as several people have pointed out, just laugh at the posers who haven't even ridden a bike; and ride with the "racers" out to a road once your skills pick up and show them how to ride.

Old October 5th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #94
randy328
CMRA Mini Endurance #6

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): CBR954, CBR600RR, EX250

The 250 is great fun. Last weekend, I was teaching on mine all day at a Trackday, doing a One on One instruction with a 16 yo on his new Ninja 250. Lots of other riders in class came up to us, saying "What are you guys on? You're railing!!" and then could hardly believe we were smoking them on 250s.

Late in the day, I grabbed a student on a 1000 to show him some better lines, he had a real difficult time keeping up in the corners...I had to slow down for him.

Sure, in a straight line I'm toast...but when we get to the real corners, nothing can keep up (and I can out-brake going into a corner like you wouldn't believe on only one rotor!!).
randy328 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #95
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

Don't waste your oxygen arguing with that cheese dick.

Old October 5th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #96
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Ninja250R View Post
Don't waste your oxygen arguing with that cheese dick.

AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #97
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

^^

Old October 6th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #98
JCCJMM_
ninjette.org member

Name: John-Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

I always have dudes ask me what kind of bike I have, as they always see me with my gear/helmet hair/whatever.

I tell them what it is and I get the usual "well I got a Busa, or a ZX1000", or some other expensive high-end bike.....and I ask "so where is it?".

If I could afford any of the bikes these guys "claim" to own, I would be riding the snot out of it!!!
JCCJMM_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2011, 02:30 PM   #99
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCJMM_ View Post
I always have dudes ask me what kind of bike I have, as they always see me with my gear/helmet hair/whatever.

I tell them what it is and I get the usual "well I got a Busa, or a ZX1000", or some other expensive high-end bike.....and I ask "so where is it?".

If I could afford any of the bikes these guys "claim" to own, I would be riding the snot out of it!!!
Let me translate what they are saying: "I used to own a busa/ZX1000 but I didn't learn how to ride properly so I crashed it. Now I have no money and no bike so I try to make others feel like **** to raise my own self esteem"

Old October 6th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #100
JCCJMM_
ninjette.org member

Name: John-Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

^
JCCJMM_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #101
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

It is a girls bike. I get much more attention from girls when I'm on my 250.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #102
5evenz
ninjette.org member

Name: Sev

Motorcycle(s): 09' 250r Thunder Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
Too good.
5evenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #103
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Quote:

Yep, men with self-confidence seem to ride 250's.
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 05:47 AM   #104
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Actually, its not a "girl's bike" its a chick magnet. There is a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse View Post

Yep, men with self-confidence seem to ride 250's.
Men without self confidence seem to drive SUV's and big trucks. My observations over the years have proven to me that the bigger the vehicle, the lower the self esteem.

Old October 10th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #105
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

I can say it is a chick magnet. I had two very hot young girls stop me as I was going through my school dorm parking lot. They both were practically drooling and couldn't stop saying how much they wanted my bike, they've always wanted a sport bike. Of course they didn't really know what they were looking at, but I just left them with a thanks and smiled.

I've only run into one guy that could identify that my bike was a 250. And he said, what a way to start...smart choice...
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #106
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

My son tells me "dad you are soooo cool." So yeah.. Im pretty much a badass
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote