ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Notices

Old January 3rd, 2010, 07:47 PM   #41
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Wow! There are some really nice bikes on this forum. B.R., I think APEX is right about a pro-fit. It does make a tremendous difference. I had a prosthetic hip done in 1970 and again in 1975 compliments of Southeast Asia War Games. With the proper fit, I have no problem. I have no trouble riding a double century. N.B. I am not familiar with your 18 Speed bike. There are some bikes built that are only available in Canada--example: Opus (Love to have one) Arthritis can be a real problem. Wife keeps hers under control by taking copious amounts of Arthri-Sea (Glucosamine with Chondroitin) and Hyaluronic Acid. Seems to work for her. Hope you are not getting buried by this snow storm. So far we got two feet--and that`s on the coast. Thank God for snow blowers.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2010, 01:49 AM   #42
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgirl View Post
This was my first 2 wheeled love. Going to start training for my first half iron in July. Sometimes it's hard to choose between running or riding.
What? No Kona? Amateur!! lol j/k!!!!

Grats on making the decision. I want to do one someday. Right now I am training for the BP MS 150, riding from Houston, TX to Austin, TX. After that, I would really like to get into racing on the bicycle. Then again, they say that once you hit 30, that is most people's "prime" for cycling. So I may switch to maybe Cyclocross or triathlons. I was never a good runner, so I don't know how that would work.

All I know is that I want a SS fixie. I am thinking about converting my mountain bike to a singlespeed. Not sure yet. I want something with smaller tires, like my 1.5, for my trip to work. I have been thinking long and hard about commuting by bike. I'd love to do it. Not every day since I work 12 hour shifts and have a 23 mile one-way commute, but maybe 1-2 days a week. I just ordered a messenger bag that could carry spare clothes and my lunch as well.

Maybe I can get a Trek Soho S for my birthday in a few months.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #43
jcgirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jenn

Motorcycle(s): Bot

"What? No Kona? Amateur!! lol j/k!!!!

Grats on making the decision. I want to do one someday. Right now I am training for the BP MS 150, riding from Houston, TX to Austin, TX. After that, I would really like to get into racing on the bicycle. Then again, they say that once you hit 30, that is most people's "prime" for cycling. So I may switch to maybe Cyclocross or triathlons. I was never a good runner, so I don't know how that would work."

I started getting into triathlon last year. Took this year off bacause I moved to the West Coast half way through the summer. I had been registered for the Muskoka 70.3 Half-Ironman. Now I'm looking at the Desert Race in Osoyoos, BC, in July 2010.

I'm an ok runner, great swimmer but a crappy cyclist.... Gonna be spending a lot of hours on the saddle training. That being said, I totally recommend trying a tri, it's an awesome experience... even just to say you did it once.
jcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2010, 01:12 AM   #44
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Name: LMG

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja EX250J

Steel is real! I'm a sucker for anything with two wheels...

This is my blue Scattante that I purchased from Performance Bikes about four years ago, it has Shimano 105 transmission! This is the only bike I have that has more than one gear. The others are fixed 47/18. The red one I've named "Plan B", my trusty second steed, it's a track bike from Italy and I removed the stickers once I got it for insurance - I live in Manhattan. Columbus tubing, beautifully lugged and twitchy enough for that quick getaway...

In the foreground is my most valuable possession, an official Keirin track bike - Samson, I blacked out the stickers for insurance. The rear hub is custom made for this bike and both wheels threaded by a friend of mine who builds frames. Rear is 32 spokes, front is 28. The crankset is period specific Sugino 144 bcd five pointed star...and I run only 1/8" chain on my track bikes. When your transmission is responsible for stopping and going you've got to have a strong chain (notice the handbrakes? yes those we're at the request of my husband). If my apartment was on fire I would grab this bike, my pool cue and then evacuate while carrying my son with my other arm. Behind it is a red DeBernardi that I sold to a friend of mine who wanted a training bike for his weekly commutes, also Columbus tubing sportin' a Miche Gruppo. I don't miss it, the paint chipped too easily - I did keep the Miche seatpost for my Samson. Behind that is a 1973 Trek, Columbus tubing and lugged. I believe it was built by the same guy who built up the Schwinn Paramount's back in the day. Trek was a mom and pop gig at one point, hand building frames in the USA - believe it or not! Lastly, I donated the gunmetal grey Bianchi track frame to the Kissena velodrome in hopes that they could get smaller female riders to enjoy the sport. I believe this was the last year that Bianchi used Columbus tubing, they're now using Reynolds...correct me if I'm wrong???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scattante - Plan B 2.jpg (238.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Samson DeBernardi Trek Bianchi 2.jpg (278.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Front 2.jpg (237.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Samson bottom bracket 2.jpg (78.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Samson head badge 2.jpg (108.6 KB, 7 views)
petiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #45
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I want to get another bike. My wife thinking cycling is a passing fad of mine, but it is actually quite the opposite. Than again, I have only had my 1.5 for 3 months.

How are fixies? I need to figure out my gearing on the 1.5 of mine, so I can simulate it and figure out if it is something I'd like to pursue getting.

My crank is 50/34. My cassette is SRAM PG-950 11-26, 9spd. Not sure what kind of gearing selection I should choose in order to simulate a single speed. That way I can test it to make sure it would be something worth chasing after.

Old January 6th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #46
bogdanb
ninjette.org member

Name: bogdan

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Z750

I am very proud owner of Scott Sportster P4 ( plus few others ), but it seems to me you guys prefer Trek. Which the the better brand?

Old January 6th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #47
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

^^ there are many good bicycle companies out there, each with their own feel and pros and cons. I don't know that you can say one is "better" than the other outright.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #48
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I want to get another bike. My wife thinking cycling is a passing fad of mine, but it is actually quite the opposite. Than again, I have only had my 1.5 for 3 months.

How are fixies? I need to figure out my gearing on the 1.5 of mine, so I can simulate it and figure out if it is something I'd like to pursue getting.

My crank is 50/34. My cassette is SRAM PG-950 11-26, 9spd. Not sure what kind of gearing selection I should choose in order to simulate a single speed. That way I can test it to make sure it would be something worth chasing after.
texas is flat so i would start off with the most common ratio, 48/18 and go from there. with that said, i have to admit that i have tiny petite legs, but they're strong. you can google a gear ratio calculator and compare your favorite gear with 48/18. there are many combinations that can get you close to the 48/18 so you can re-use your existing sprockets. you will have to swap out your rear hub and mess with aligning the chain.

fixies will make you a more 'aware' rider, it's great for training/commuting. they're light and dependable. and working on them yourself is so fun. i can take my bike apart to pack into a suitcase with a 15mm open end pedal wrench, a 4/5/6mm hex wrench and a chain breaker. track bikes are different...the seat tube angles are close to vertical and you're tucked in like you're about to step off in a sprint. they're fast and responsive (twitchy).

Old January 6th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #49
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdanb View Post
I am very proud owner of Scott Sportster P4 ( plus few others ), but it seems to me you guys prefer Trek. Which the the better brand?
The better brand is the brand that suits you the best.

Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc...all are great.

Old January 6th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #50
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

These days the name doesn't matter, a more serious cyclists will look at your components first then take a gander at your wheelset. And off the rack models (trek, cannondale, giant, specialized, orbea, etc) are all made in taiwan by a two or three different factories...could be down to one factory in this economy.

Old January 6th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #51
Sailariel

Petiteninja, Steel is real for sure. I have two Univegas--one is a mint condition restored Univega Viva Sport with downtube shifters, not indexed, etc. The other is a Univega Comperizione which I upgraded with STI Shifters, 105 Grouppo, FSA BB, Truvativ Elita Triple, FSA Handlebars and stem, and Ritchey seatpost and wheels. I spend more time riding the `Vega than my Merckx Premium Custom because the ride is like velvet. I have six bikes and probably ride the Vega the most. I also have a bicycle shop. All my bikes have LOOK Keo pedals.

Old January 6th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #52
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

downtube shifters, aaah. it's rumored that TdF competitors used to 'bump' their shifters with the inside of their knees when on a climb...sounds extra convenient. i certainly have a place in my heart for them. some single speed fanatics actually hook their brakes up to them (but the shifters are right above the headset), kinda sleek but tricky for sure. there's something nice about being able to control the exact position of your front derailer, i hate that clicking sound you get when the derailer and chain rub. i've always had my eyes peeled for vintage univegas and bridgestones, unfortunately smaller sizes are totally rare. i love my pedal cages, i need to dismount one foot to kick cab doors far too often to be locked up while the crank is constantly rotating. also, i love shoes too much. i admit, i'm a bit of a fashionista.

thanks for starting the thread, i can go on forever. I've been thinking about a DeRosa or Pinarello. is your Merckx carbon fiber/Ti? do you prefer campy or shimano? i have a thing for italian design but love the precision of the japanese.

Old January 7th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #53
bogdanb
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
^^ there are many good bicycle companies out there, each with their own feel and pros and cons. I don't know that you can say one is "better" than the other outright.
Yes, no doubt. Like everything else.

I thought that Scott is more popular, especially in the US.

Old January 7th, 2010, 12:21 AM   #54
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I have no clue what is more popular. I guess it depends on what group you hang out with. If you pedal with a LBS, then you will most likely see a lot of what the LBS sells.

That is one thing that I have noticed.

I was looking into Scott, but the Trek suited my wallet better and it works very well for me.

Old January 7th, 2010, 12:43 AM   #55
bogdanb
ninjette.org member

Thank you !

Old January 7th, 2010, 08:59 AM   #56
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Does anyone have a dream bike in mind? I haven't really thought about it to be honest. I've drooled over the Madone, but I think I am actually quite content with my current ride, for now.

Old January 7th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #57
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

I would like a new SuperSix - but ehh - I am a realist with money

Old January 7th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #58
Asuna
ninjette.org member

Name: Mikey

Motorcycle(s): None yet

All I want is spring!

Old January 7th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #59
Sailariel

Petiteninja, DeRosa and Pinarello bikes are beautiful. Dario Pegoretti still makes beautiful bikes in steel, as does Richard Schwinn who builds Waterford and Gunnar bicycles. You asked about the Merckx. It is made of Scandium which is an alloy that rides like Ti. I built it up from a frameset. I changed the fork to a CF Easton EC-90. I also run Ritchey wheels because they are light and sturdy (I weigh 195). Campy vs. Shimano: I prefer Shimano. The 105 and Ultegra Grouppo shift really well. Campy`s shifters are repairable while Shimano STI are not. Recently tried out the SRAM Red, and am very impressed. I may go that route in the future. Interesting that you mention Univega and Bridgestone--the ones made in Japan with hand braised Tange steel lugged frames. In the very early 80`s both companies supplied frames foe Bianchi and Gitane. The 81 Univega Competzione would be a Bianchi Corse if it were painted Celeste. I like the `Vega`s metallic gray.

Old January 11th, 2010, 05:32 AM   #60
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Sora STIs, new jagwire housing for brakes and shifters all around, shimano downtube stops, Soma tape, and waiting now on new cables for final install.

Crappy cell phone pics until proper shoot. Got it all together with old cables and setup derailers properly - going to get new cables this week and reinstall. I know I will have to readjust the driveline again (PITA) but didn't want to use the old cables since I am not sure of their history.

Old January 11th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #61
Sailariel

Neil, That is a really nice Cannondale. Hang on to it---it is one still hand made in USA. Cannondale was recently acquired by Pacific Bicycles of China. Their frames are now made in Taiwan with the exception of their high end bikes like the Six and Synapse. Cannondale still retains its management, design team, etc. Pacific has assured its dealers that Cannondale will not be sold by mail order--like Performance, or retail--like Wal-Mart. All W-M, K-Mart, and Target Stores bikes are made by Pacific. Schwinn and Mongoose sold in bicycle stores are a different bike than the ones sold in these discount stores. Caveat enptor.

Old January 11th, 2010, 05:56 PM   #62
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Is that a silver ninja??? very nice

Old January 12th, 2010, 04:46 AM   #63
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Thanks, she is in my avatar. Those three in the pic are hard to split time on, and none of them are getting any action with snow on the ground.

Old January 12th, 2010, 07:01 AM   #64
littledog
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Special Edition Ninja 250 a good memory, 2011 Suzuki DL 650 the new ride

I have a Mongoose Sabrosa, which is a 700c city bike.

I don't ride it so much, I have some beginning hip problems.

I had some nice but cheap bikes in the past.

A green fuji (I think, or some Japanese brand) late 70's that I gave away when I moved. A silver puch 700c size early 80's that got stolen. Another 700c bike, a peugot, that I rode in the Mt Michel event twice.
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #65
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Quote:
Does anyone have a dream bike in mind?
My dream bike. I'll take either color. It isn't made any more.
I would have died for one of these when I was younger. Still would if it was mint condition.
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/gt_bicycles/33457/

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/gt_bicycles/33453/

my bike I posted earlier was modeled after this one in a way..
The original GT show also came with white tires like on my bike I posted the pic of earlier, made by the same company (acs) and also no longer available. Half of my current bike is also discontinued.

Flatland bikes only get better and more valuable with age.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #66
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Sharky, I WANT YOUR CAR.

Old January 15th, 2010, 01:51 AM   #67
kevlarorc
noob motovlogger

Name: Gareth

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 250r

I own a 2001 Specialized Enduro. I used to ride it every day and all over the place when I was in high school but I got pretty lazy once I started working a crappy 40+hr job along with school everyday and I just don't really pick it up anymore. I did a couple relay offroad duathlons a few months ago though.

Old January 15th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #68
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

thats an awful nice mtb to not ride - you should get her good and dirty as an apology

Old January 15th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #69
2WheelGuy

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): '98 EX250, '02 EX250, '08 250r, '03 SV650, '98 GSXR750 '03 Hayabusa, '87 YSR50, '84 ZX900, +MORE

I ride a bicycle but I hate Bicyclists!!!

[Rant On]

These signs are everywhere but very few Bicyclists pay any f**k'in attention to them! I've nearly been killed several times by cars crossing the line to avoid a gaggle of bicyclists and nearly hitting me head on.

When I was a kid my parents taught me to stay as far to the right as possible and to stay out of the way of cars. Today bicyclists think they own the road. The worse offenders are the ones that ride in their Lance Armstrong costumes.

[Rant Off]

If we offend, it is with our good will.
That you should think, we come not to offend,
AFM #278
2WheelGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #70
Underkill
ninjette.org member

Name: Ashley

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250, 08 KTM 250 XCF-W

I like 2 wheels! Been riding the motorized versions way longer than these though...

Trek Fuel EX8 WSD

Trek 2.1 - Creamsickle
Underkill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #71
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

just got off of the bicycle after a 15 mi ride. bottom line even 40F is too cold given the cycling gear i have. if i want to keep doing that i need to invest in some cold weather specific stuff.

Old January 15th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #72
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

That is my problem. I am still gathering gear for cold rides. The problem is I'll probably get all the gear by the time it gets warm again.

Old January 15th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #73
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

i was trying to debate between - cold weather gear purchase, or a trainer. i think i will get the gear as alot of it can be used for the ninja as well. gotta wait for tax return though

Old January 15th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #74
Asuna
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
i was trying to debate between - cold weather gear purchase, or a trainer. i think i will get the gear as alot of it can be used for the ninja as well. gotta wait for tax return though
Get a trainer man you wont regret it!

Old January 17th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #75
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Yeah, but wait for a deal. I got mine for $30. Then you have cash left over for other goodies.

Old January 17th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #76
Asuna
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yeah, but wait for a deal. I got mine for $30. Then you have cash left over for other goodies.
True enough mine was $180 shipped.

Old January 17th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #77
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Still a good price! Mine is older, and I can tell it is, but it works so I don't care.

It won't allow me to use my Trek on it, but I can use my mountain bike, so I'll deal with it for now.

Old January 17th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #78
Asuna
ninjette.org member

Nothing beats the real deal though man. Warm day fresh air MILES from home!

Old January 17th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #79
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlarorc View Post
I own a 2001 Specialized Enduro.
Now that I could get busy on
I tried road biking when I was younger. Won an uphill climb for my age group. Wasn't my cup of tea though. I gotta either be getting dirty or doing some tricks. lol
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #80
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

I can't come across any kinds of deals like that -