ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 4th, 2014, 07:29 PM   #121
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

anything 600 cc and over is too much for the street if you know what you're doing. That's why I love the 250.....keeps me out of trouble. Besides, you cannot complain about the gas mileage on the 250, even if you ride at high rpm on the highway it still gets over 40 if not up to 80 mpg!!! the average 600/1000 cc bike gets 32 mpg.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 07:35 PM   #122
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgentz View Post
anything 600 cc and over is too much for the street if you know what you're doing. That's why I love the 250.....keeps me out of trouble. Besides, you cannot complain about the gas mileage on the 250, even if you ride at high rpm on the highway it still gets over 40 if not up to 80 mpg!!! the average 600/1000 cc bike gets 32 mpg.
This is true, there's also the aspect of being more comfortable at lower rpms on highway though. There is no point where a larger bike is genuinely needed, but many of us want one anyway. I see myself on a different street bike a few years down the line and gifting my 300 to my older brother since he wants to get into riding and I get the feeling he'd jump straight on a gixxer 600 given the opportunity and enough time.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 10:38 PM   #123
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Besides that, it's not only about gear, helmet and riding style in Sout-East-Asia, also the way of transportion works different to the western world...

Some have their dog, others maybe have their cat and Thais have their ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transportation.jpg (51.9 KB, 249 views)
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 4th, 2014, 10:44 PM   #124
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
that gator is ballin

Old March 5th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #125
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja Kaw, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

Man, I think I just found my new favorite bike.

I have been jonesing a Fischer MRX650 for years, and now it is no longer in production. Now, KTM makes a bike with perfect (for me) specs, and it is merely a rumor that it will be coming here to the US!

As far as the rpm's, I definitely prefer lower rpm's at high speeds, I just hate the feel and sound of my bike screaming like that over long distances.
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2014, 03:35 PM   #126
mgentz
Board Member

What is it wirh you guys and rpms? Ride a two stroke and tell me about rpms!

Old March 5th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #127
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Even if it comes to the U.S. it's gonna cost almost as much as a 600, so who's gonna even buy one? I bought the 300 because it's one of the cheapest street bikes available. When the RC390 hits the showroom floor with a $10K price tag I thing a lot of people are gonna lose interest.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2014, 04:26 PM   #128
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

I would buy one in a second! I have never had a new bike and the RC390 is just what I am looking for to "downsize" the SV. Less weight and a little less power should equal more fun on the street. I am not too worried about $7000 price tag if that is really what it will cost.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #129
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

It's going to be priced under 4000$ here in india, thanks to it being a local production... The duke 390 retails at just over 3000$ otd and the duke 200 for just over 2000...

Old March 5th, 2014, 08:31 PM   #130
Ducati999

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

The review I read in a Magazine said it would be around $6500 but that was a MSRP and I do agree it would be stupid to launch such a bike in the USA for that high a price considering the competition

Old March 5th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #131
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
Even if it comes to the U.S. it's gonna cost almost as much as a 600, so who's gonna even buy one? I bought the 300 because it's one of the cheapest street bikes available. When the RC390 hits the showroom floor with a $10K price tag I thing a lot of people are gonna lose interest.
I'd be interested, but only in the used market at that point. I'd just pick up a triumph daytona that I just heard is lying around owned by a guy who had a heart attack and can no longer ride sport bikes as a result of it. He found a way to pack his heart monitor stuff onto his harley though I'm actually checking the bike out in the near future and might find a way to get it since I love triumphs.

Old March 5th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #132
mgentz
Board Member

You must realize that KTM does not use bargain parts. Their stuff costs more because it is worth more. Ready to race just like the slogan.

However, you are right about the price difference being an issue in the states. Probably because we're a bunch of fat avatars that love gratification and dont realize the value of the 390. Bigger is better....

Old March 6th, 2014, 06:45 AM   #133
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
not gonna be anywhere near 10K thinking you are just pulling numbers out of, well ur ass.

Do some research on what it is going to sell for across the pond and do some comparison prices of other bikes here and there then covert the currency and you will have an idea of what to expect. Like others have pointed out MSRP seems like it will be in the 6-7k range

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2014, 06:58 AM   #134
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

If they release the RC390 here I'm betting they will keep the price close to a Honda CB500R. Too many consumers would balk at paying more for a 390 than a 500. The CB500 is like 6 thou.

Old March 6th, 2014, 07:10 AM   #135
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
^ the cbr500 is still a budget entry level bike. It remains at a budget price by saving money on things like suspension, brake components, generic swing arm, cheaper tires ect...

The rc390 should come with slightly better components all around. It's like buying a walmart brand mountain bike for $200 vs paying an extra $300 on top for an entry level giant with ok parts. Both mountain bikes but you get what you pay for... to an extent

Now time for some more tasty pics

http://www.motoroids.com/news/scoop-...unning-lights/

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old March 6th, 2014, 07:45 AM   #136
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

The most recent rumor is that it will never come to the USA.

Ever.

My KTM source tells me the "India" quality of this series, all 390 bikes, Duke, RC, SM and possible Adv, is not up to the Austrian KTMs standards and they will not chance their reputation in America by bringing sub grade bikes in.

I don't want to believe it, but Bajaj is involved and may have taken the lead on these bikes. I'd want a premium small bore more than anyone, but it doesn't look like this is that, nor will it be imported.

Next/last hope is Husqvarna street bikes breaking into a SS or naked style category and becoming the premium bike company. I suspect KTM may eventually go to India entirely, and Stephan bought Husky to stay in business himself when it does.
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2014, 07:58 AM   #137
Ducati999

OK so I did some research and found that the KTM Duke 390 is priced at $6490 and that price was lowered from the original "launch" price because of slow sales. Since most sport bikes cost more than their equivalent Naked models we can estimate the price to be mid $7000 USD. Since the RC is based on the Duke they may even offer it at the same price but this is highly unlikely. With all the top shelf bits on this bike and possibly more by the time it hits our shores (provided it does) it would be well worth the cost if the do price it around $7500 just because it will have the performance to back that price up, not to mention the brakes, rims and even tires.

Since naked bike don't sell as well in the USA as they do in other countries, and they did bring the Duke to America, I think it is a safe bet we will see the RC over here. The below 600cc market has been growing bigger every year here in the good ol US of A so why wouldn't KTM want to get their slice of the pie? I believe the RC 390 would be a great daily rider for me and a whole lot of fun for track days.

Old March 6th, 2014, 07:58 AM   #138
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by old3 View Post
The most recent rumor is that it will never come to the USA.

Ever.

My KTM source tells me the "India" quality of this series, all 390 bikes, Duke, RC, SM and possible Adv, is not up to the Austrian KTMs standards and they will not chance their reputation in America by bringing sub grade bikes in.

I don't want to believe it, but Bajaj is involved and may have taken the lead on these bikes. I'd want a premium small bore more than anyone, but it doesn't look like this is that, nor will it be imported.

Next/last hope is Husqvarna street bikes breaking into a SS or naked style category and becoming the premium bike company. I suspect KTM may eventually go to India entirely, and Stephan bought Husky to stay in business himself when it does.
Doesn't make a whole lot of sense in my mind

The KTM streetbike market over here barely exists, they have nothing to lose and everything to gain. KTM has a strong offroad market over here but even if the rc390 fails miserably that crowd/market won't even bat an eye lash.

Old March 6th, 2014, 08:04 AM   #139
old3
ninjette.org sage

I had 3 KTM 950s, all were over $12000. They have bikes up in the $20,000 range now against Ducati and any other top tier bikes like Aprilia, the new Buells, etc. Selling something that takes away the quality from their brand, like a Chinese quality street bike, will not be good for even their $10,000 dirt bike sales.

Porsche won't import a Yugo with it's name on the hatch.

I get it. I hope none of it is true but that is a pretty inside scoop. Don't hold your breath, and I doubt, if true, you'd want one anyway.

And I'm about as big a KTM fan as you will find.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:28 AM   #140
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Name: Han Solo

Motorcycle(s): Had a 2008 Ninja 250, til some low-life stole it. Now riding a 2013 red cbr250.

It's not coming.

Screw it, I'll just wait for the HD Street 500.

Stupid KTM.
Han Solo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2014, 12:23 PM   #141
ChrisMKV
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250, 2015 F800R

Quote:
That seems odd, why would it be available in Europe then?
ChrisMKV is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 6th, 2014, 12:55 PM   #142
old3
ninjette.org sage

All I heard about was the USA. My source was positive on the info.

I guess we will see eventually. I'd prefer it to be false but with everything going on between Bajaj, Husqvarna and the death of Husaberg, I'm not sure anyone knows what is going to happen, even the execs at KTM.

Old March 7th, 2014, 03:07 AM   #143
psych0hans

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
You do realize that ALL the duke series of bikes are manufactured in India and then exported to pretty much the rest of the world right? And last time i checked European build quality standards far exceed their American counterparts(triumph vs Harley Davidson, Caddilac vs Audi/Merc/BMW)... So when a Europen company gets bikes built in India and exports it to the rest of the world, I'm sure it will be anything but "substandard"... Your point sir, is invalid...

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 7th, 2014, 07:21 AM   #144
old3
ninjette.org sage

My "point" wasn't a shot at your country, it was the actual spoken words from a inside source. I wasn't making a point, I was repeating what I was told.

I haven't seen one, I sure would like to. Then I could judge for myself. Maybe they are awesome and on a ship right now headed to the USA. If that was what I heard, I'd have been jumping for joy and posted that. I can't change the info I was told.

I doubt there is anyone more down about this ***if it is true*** than me. I've had over 20 KTM race and street bikes. I've liked them all, great products. If the 390 is as good, or at least better than my modded 300, I'd be the first to hand over deposit for one.

Old March 7th, 2014, 03:17 PM   #145
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14

Old March 8th, 2014, 02:55 AM   #146
psych0hans

Quote:
My "point" wasn't a shot at your country, it was the actual spoken words from a inside source. I wasn't making a point, I was repeating what I was told.
Believe it or not, my argument isn't about my country either... If this was a product being made BY an Indian company I would definitely have my doubts... But if a company like KTM is off shoring it's entire production(of small bikes) to india then it's highly unlikely to be below it's own high standards. Not to mention it's selling those bikes throughout the world...

Old March 8th, 2014, 03:13 AM   #147
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

A friend send me this info http://blog.ktm.com/deutsch-fertigun...-kleinserie-2/

Take a look at the data:
1 cylinder
250 cc
50 hp
82 kg = 181 lbs
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2014, 06:15 AM   #148
Boosted139
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
A friend send me this info http://blog.ktm.com/deutsch-fertigun...-kleinserie-2/

Take a look at the data:
1 cylinder
250 cc
50 hp
82 kg = 181 lbs
Don't forget moto3 bikes have a minimum weight of 148 kg with the rider. A lot of team would have to add weight to the bike to meet requirements.
Boosted139 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2014, 08:29 AM   #149
mania
ninjette.org member

Name: mania

Motorcycle(s): 2013 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted139 View Post
Don't forget moto3 bikes have a minimum weight of 148 kg with the rider. A lot of team would have to add weight to the bike to meet requirements.
That is correct so I am guessing many do add some weight as it seems most riders are 57-62kg with some really tiny ones out there too.
( like Livio Loi @ 47kg)

I wonder if they count the fuel or is that 148kg rule dry?
Because the 82kg KTM is dry weight & holds 10.5L fuel
mania is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2014, 10:23 AM   #150
old3
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
Believe it or not, my argument isn't about my country either... If this was a product being made BY an Indian company I would definitely have my doubts... But if a company like KTM is off shoring it's entire production(of small bikes) to india then it's highly unlikely to be below it's own high standards. Not to mention it's selling those bikes throughout the world...
Hey, like I said, I hope my source is off on this one. I'm waiting with baited breath to see one in person. Nobody else will be stepping up to or above the 300 if things are as it seems except KTM. Thing is, in an India vid test, THEY mentioned the 390 Duke was not up to the fit and finish of the Ninja 300, THAT tells me either they were not very qualified to make those remarks, or the quality is really pretty shoddy. Neither reviewer seemed to be an authority on bikes if that means anything.

Fingers crossed anyway. I'm hoping that Bajaj didn't just Kiska designs in appearance and do the rest themselves.

Old March 8th, 2014, 10:24 AM   #151
old3
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Hey, like I said, I hope my source is off on this one. I'm waiting with baited breath to see one in person. Nobody else will be stepping up to or above the 300 if things are as it seems except KTM. Thing is, in an India vid test, THEY mentioned the 390 Duke was not up to the fit and finish of the Ninja 300, THAT tells me either they were not very qualified to make those remarks, or the quality is really pretty shoddy. Neither reviewer seemed to be an authority on bikes if that means anything.

Fingers crossed anyway. I'm hoping that Bajaj didn't just get Kiska designs from KTM in appearance and do the rest themselves.

Old March 8th, 2014, 11:18 PM   #152
psych0hans

This was published in a local magazine...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (262.8 KB, 36 views)

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 10th, 2014, 07:29 PM   #153
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14

Old March 10th, 2014, 10:23 PM   #154
Twisthem488
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninjette

While we wait for release info, here's something to whet your appetite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzSq7Heewv0
Twisthem488 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2014, 05:52 AM   #155
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
nice to finally see a decent ad vid for it. Still I can't help but laugh at the sound of the thumper

Old May 13th, 2014, 07:15 AM   #156
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Latest interwebz buzz is saying India will potentially get the rc390 late this year and may see the rc200 as early as mid July.

That still does not answer any questions about any of the ktm thumpers reaching the US but if India won't see the rc390 till late 2014 I think the US will be hard pressed to see it in mid 2015 if at all.

The US doesn't even have the duke 390 yet so I take that as a sign that rc390 fans are still in for a long wait.

Old May 13th, 2014, 07:27 AM   #157
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I would be interested in one of the smaller Dukes if they were brought in at a competitive price. Judging from the prices of their larger bikes, they won't be.

Old May 13th, 2014, 07:36 AM   #158
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
there is some talk about price in these threads I don't feel like digging for but they seem like they should be a decent bang for your buck when you consider what you are getting compared to entry level bikes that come with the cheapest components possible.

time will tell

On side note I was at dealer ship near by where I work the other day and they have quite the selection of KTM dirt bikes

They had a awesome pimped out 300 xc w with a sticker price of $9,500

$9500 for a dirty bike is just bonkers to me considering the abuse they take and how quickly you can break just about anything on one. Tons of money in the suspension of the bikes from the factory though. Pretty sweet

Old May 13th, 2014, 08:43 AM   #159
mania
ninjette.org member

Name: mania

Motorcycle(s): 2013 250

http://blog.ktm.com/adac-junior-cup-...tm-rc-390-cup/
mania is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2014, 10:10 AM   #160
psych0hans

Link to original page on YouTube.