ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 17th, 2016, 01:41 PM   #1
Jaytibba
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 1993 ninja 250ex

Carbs leak while fuel is on

New bike I've been restoring. Just took carbs apart and cleaned. 17mm float height on both of them. Nothing looked wrong they looked good but when I installed and tried to start the bike they were leaking a good amount of fuel out of them. Bike did not start, guessing it was flooded.

Ugh just want to ride this thing. One thing is that the bike did fall on its side today on the grass while installing new front forks.. pet cock does let out a very small flow of gas when the tank is off the bike but in the on position but not much at all

Jaytibba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2016, 02:06 PM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Did you replace the Float Valves (aka - "needle and seat") ?

That's what shuts off the fuel to the floatbowls when the level is correct. They wear and eventually don't seal.

Rust from the tank can also hold the valves open if you don't have an adequate in-line fuel filter.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2016, 02:10 PM   #3
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Okay two problems need to be addressed.

One: float valves, did you replace them? Fuel bowls O-rings? Check the needle seats?

Two: did the fuel stop flowing once the bike was off? Did this happen while it was off? If so your petcock is shot, replace it.

If your petcock is shot, save your time, and money and get a new one, the cost of rebuilding it isn't much cheaper, due to you need two separate kits, as they for some reason don't make just one.

New one cost about $65.00

1988~00 models
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...1023-1139.html

2001~07 models
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...1023-1393.html

Also be sure to order the orings(92022-183 WASHER,6.2X11X1.5)and new bolts(92001-1091BOLT,6X20),trust me you'll be better off in the long run.

Rebuilding kits are about $60 total.

K&L Supply Diaphragm Only for Fuel Petcock Repair Kit 18-6638 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055DWO60..._s1CGub1W9N3PH

K&L Supply Fuel Petcock Repair Kit 18-2723 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KO2JRW..._U1CGub05DT5NT

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Rebuild...tcock/fuel_tap

IMHO not worth it rebuilding, also be sure to check vacuum and fuel lines for wear, holes, and cracks, if in doubt replace them. Also replace the two small O-rings on the bolts for the petcock part# 92022.

This is the time to add an inline filter filter, if you don't have one already.

K&N 81-0221 Fuel Filter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E2AR70..._ncMwwbE333H0E

Your messing with gasoline, not a time to be cheap, or shortcuts. The risk is too high!!!

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2016, 03:12 PM   #4
Jaytibba
ninjette.org member

I messed up then. I wanted to drain the gas out to put new has in. Turned the Petcock on and nothing happened. So I took it apart and cleaned it, now it's bad I guess :/
Yes, the fuel would still flow out of the carbs without trying to start it or anything

Is there some type of kit I can buy for a 1993 250 that has all of those things in it. I may need to to do some research because I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for with carb parts

Inline fuel filter was installed today, along with new fittings and fuel lines.

Would you say the bike not starting was due to this carb issue?

Old June 17th, 2016, 03:55 PM   #5
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

K&L supply has a carb rebuild kits I believe. I always order my rebuild kits from Murphys at least I'm pretty sure that's the name. Google it, should come up right away.

Carbs leaking gas will cause a no start. It happened to me (made a thread about it) turns out my petcock was leaking and flooding my engine. That and some dirty float needle seats. I mean I had the carbs off the bike anyways why not clean them again.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2016, 04:19 PM   #6
Jaytibba
ninjette.org member

Awesome, I think I found what I need. Is there supposed to be a hose connected to the "vent" tube? The one next to wher the gas comes out. And the base of the tank hose just kinda sits there and dosent connect to anything right?

Old June 17th, 2016, 04:59 PM   #7
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

It's not supposed to, it's a vent/drain hose for the tank, carburetor has its own tube, but not necessary, except to keep fuel off the hot engine.

Also you didn't read my post above about the petcock, read it again.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old June 17th, 2016, 05:11 PM   #8
juliusmichaelhonrada
ninjette.org guru

Name: Julius Michael

Motorcycle(s): GPX250-RII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytibba View Post
Awesome, I think I found what I need. Is there supposed to be a hose connected to the "vent" tube? The one next to wher the gas comes out. And the base of the tank hose just kinda sits there and dosent connect to anything right?
The one next to the gas outlet is a vacuum outlet , you put a hose there and connect it to the carb vacuum line in the engine side of the carb there is a nipple per carburetor one goes to the coasting enrichener and one goes to the petcock .
juliusmichaelhonrada is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 17th, 2016, 05:16 PM   #9
Ghostt
in your machine

My bad, never reply when your tired, I thought you mentioned the nipple on the back of the tank itself, I need coffee.

Try looking here

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Carburetor_photos

ZX-2R BLOG

Old June 17th, 2016, 05:55 PM   #10
Jaytibba
ninjette.org member

I did find these
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...P-4097365.html

I did also find the Petcock on the same site. Ready to order both of needed

But it seems like if I don't have a vaccume hose going from the petcock to the carb, won't that itself cause an issue? What if that vaccume line just isn't telling the fuel to stop pumping or something.

EDIT: found vaccume hose to Petcock and installed it. With bike off but Petcock on gas still leaks. Looks like Petcock and carb rebuild it is

Old June 17th, 2016, 06:02 PM   #11
Ghostt
in your machine

The petcock needs a vacuum to function properly in order for fuel to flow, no vacuum, no flow. It's a safety feature, if the bike is off, no fuel should flow, in case the float valves are not working properly.

If the vacuum line was off the petcock nipple, and fuel still flowed, your petcock has issues/bad. Also with an open vacuum post, the bike will not run properly.

But if the float valves were working properly, once the bowls are full, the valves shut the flow of fuel off, so you need to address those before you do anything else.

I'd also recommend checking the oil, odds are you have gas in the oil now, so once you get the carburetors and petcock fixed change the oil and filter as well.

Gas and oil don't mix well for the engine.

SIDENOTE: send @ducatiman a PM he has rebuilding kits, for a lot cheaper than you'll find anywhere, and he also offers a full carburetor services.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old June 17th, 2016, 07:55 PM   #12
Jaytibba
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the info, learning a lot here so far you guys are great! Looks like I will be buying a brand new Petcock. I also just sent a message to Ducatiman about his kit.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 17th, 2016, 08:40 PM   #13
Ghostt
in your machine

I have know Ducatiman for a long time, we meet over at EX-500.com about 8 years ago. He's well known over there for his excellent services and reasonable prices as well.

When I joined this forum, I told him about it, and now he's been here doing the same. He's the only one I would trust with my carburetors, and I have. He has the tools, and experience to deliver a top quality products, and services.

Too many threads here, as well as other forums about carburetors, and a lot of wasted time, money, and aggravation. When just admitting your in too deep, and paying someone else to do the job correctly the first time.

I have first hand experience with a set of his carburetors. They arrived all fresh and refurbished, installed then, prime the carburetors, and started on the first time, no issues, no drama, just set the idle, and off I went.

Here's the thread on a little experiment Ducatiman and I are doing now.
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=269055

Here is a link to his services, parts, etc...
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226815

And he's another link from fellow forum members feedback on his services.
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=239678

Carburetors are not as easy as they seem, especially if they've been sitting awhile, and/or messed with by previous owners.

Beyond common problems...... comprehensive carb cleaning is not for everyone, there is much to go wrong in short order. We've seen many members endlessly chase their tails, break stuff, assemble and adjust stuff wrong.

With some of the fleet becoming old, the vast majority require much more than "cleaning". The potential for leakage must be addressed, any less attention is irresponsible, and yes, this may even require thowing money and parts at them (gasp). Consumables...carb innards are not forever items.

And certainly there is MORE... much more....to it than simply addressing the pilot jets while they are out and on the bench.

Please...you're screwing around with FUEL...if not absolutely sure of what you're doing...send them to someone who is.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old June 18th, 2016, 10:41 AM   #14
Spencerrides
ninjette.org member

Name: Spencer

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja Ex

Sounds like sticking float needles/valve clean and LUBRICATE the float needle/valve and valve hole to eliminate sticking.

And OP replace O-rings, replace float needles if needed, I only read a few sentences of this post so I'm just throwing out suggestions.

If I'm incorrect these guys should help you their great.
@Jaytibba @Ghostt

Last futzed with by Spencerrides; June 19th, 2016 at 07:07 AM.
Spencerrides is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2016, 10:49 AM   #15
Ghostt
in your machine

Lubricant with what?

ZX-2R BLOG

Old June 18th, 2016, 12:24 PM   #16
Spencerrides
ninjette.org member

I used vasoline/protroleum jelly worked well for me @Ghostt did you see my question

Old June 18th, 2016, 12:31 PM   #17
Jaytibba
ninjette.org member

I cleaned the **** out of needles and holes today.
Float height is fine. The needles look brand new.
If I blow of the fuel inlet then press on the floats the air will stop / clog
But when I run fuel into the carb it won't seat..
I would hate to replace the needles because they look fine, but **** idk what else it could be.

Old June 18th, 2016, 01:03 PM   #18
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytibba View Post
I cleaned the **** out of needles and holes today.
Float height is fine. The needles look brand new.
If I blow of the fuel inlet then press on the floats the air will stop / clog
But when I run fuel into the carb it won't seat..
I would hate to replace the needles because they look fine, but **** idk what else it could be.
Looks mean absolutely nothing.

If the parts don't work, the parts don't work.

Needles should seal WITHOUT pressing on the floats with the carbs upside down. If they don't, replace them.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2016, 01:56 PM   #19
Jaytibba
ninjette.org member

Problem solved. Kinda ghetto but I ended up just messing with the wire that holds the float needle onto the float. Kinda changed it a bit, then readjusted my float height. No more leak yay. Now onto water pump leaking and a couple more things and this thing should be revived from the dead

Old June 18th, 2016, 03:55 PM   #20
Ghostt
in your machine

ZX-2R BLOG

Old June 18th, 2016, 04:00 PM   #21
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencerrides View Post
I used vasoline/protroleum jelly worked well for me @Ghostt did you see my question
Gasoline breaks down petroleum jelly, so that's out.

If the valve is sticking there's a reason for it. Float valves are a consumable part, due to the viton tip, and the little spring loaded pin. Just like O-rings, bowl gaskets, etc....

Rigging them is ill advised to say the least, this is a major safety issue, fire, burning, engine damage, etc...

You have been forewarned.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old June 18th, 2016, 05:37 PM   #22
Jaytibba
ninjette.org member

Your absolutely right.. Well atleast now I can start the bike and fix other issues but I will replace the needles with new ones before it is actually ridden.

Only things is needs now is new water pump. It has a leak and I've read that pretty much of its leaking out of that little hole then it needs to be replaced. So a newer used one will be ordered.

Just noticed choke on carb is stuck.. Ugh sick of taking that carb off!

Other than that a new battery and fluids should be it

Valves have been adjusted. New plugs and air filter. Carbs cleaned. New front and rear suspension from newer years. Inline fuel filter, and new front end (street fighter style).

I know I bit more then I can chew but I do have some experience and I'm learning so much that I believe the experience alone is worth it and will help me with all the bikes I may own in the future. And of course I have you guys (:

Last futzed with by Jaytibba; June 18th, 2016 at 06:41 PM.

Old June 19th, 2016, 07:05 AM   #23
Spencerrides
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Gasoline breaks down petroleum jelly, so that's out.

If the valve is sticking there's a reason for it. Float valves are a consumable part, due to the viton tip, and the little spring loaded pin. Just like O-rings, bowl gaskets, etc....

Rigging them is ill advised to say the least, this is a major safety issue, fire, burning, engine damage, etc...

You have been forewarned.
I used protroleum jelly so I'm sure the gasoline has broke down the jelly I used by now

BUT @Ghostt my Petcock rubber vent hole is leaking gasoline any idea how to fix it?

Old June 19th, 2016, 08:46 AM   #24
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Man I missed all the fun. The experience from working on your own bike translates to a lot of other areas in life, its good you are learning/have previous expierince.

As ghost said, rigging anything on the bike is very unsafe and the issue should be addressed properly. Not sure if it was mentioned or not but check the carb bowl gaskets (There are 2). They can become flat and distorted causing leaks. Might be a good idea to replace all 8 carb bowl screws as well. Should the screws be cross threaded/old/stripped take your pick, the carb bowls won't press the gaskets/bowls up enough to stop gas from flowing.
That combined with the bad petcock/bad float needles/seats would cause a problem. Definitely change your oil a couple times as was mentioned.

Alright, now that slowbro has caught up, hope this info helps. My apologies if I said something that has already been written.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2016, 10:57 AM   #25
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencerrides View Post
I used protroleum jelly so I'm sure the gasoline has broke down the jelly I used by now

BUT @Ghostt my Petcock rubber vent hole is leaking gasoline any idea how to fix it?
Do you mean it's leaking gas thru the vacuum port? Or the back ?

Testing a petcock is easy, but it suck literally. Bike is off, fuel line off the carburetors, going to a clear bottle, water bottle works great for this part.

If at this point fuel is coming out the petcock, in any setting besides PRI, then it's bad, replace.

SIDENOTE: PreGen has off, run, res, and requires vacuum for both. NewGen has off, run, and pri, the pri, or prime bypasses the vacuum part and allows you to prime the carburetors, saving you from endless cranking, etc.....

It didn't leak,
With the petcock off, attach one end of a vacuum to the petcock, and the other end to your mouth, and start sucking, if at this point you get gas in your mouth, petcock is bad, replace.

While applying vacuum did any fuel flow into the bottle? There shouldn't be any fuel in the bottle, petcock is off, if there is fuel, petcock bad, replace.

If the off position passed, go the run, and res(PreGen only) repeat the vacuum test, when vacuum is applied fuel should flow freely, note how much fuel, if it's barely coming out, there's an issue right there, replace the petcock.

You can confirm any findings by doing an R.D.I. on said petcock.

I know a lot people say rebuild the petcock, but it's not cheaper as I stated in my write-up, plus your getting a whole petcock, New inlet screens, seals etc...

I went the rebuilding route before I did some research, and wasn't happy because for a few dollars more I could have had the whole piece, and saved my time

Something to consider when weighing the facts, and figures don't forget to factor in time, and aggravation as well.

Could also be the gasket on the petcock to the tank is bad? Or the two O-rings around the bolts leaking?

I had one so bad one time it was letting fuel thru and was sucking it into the carburetor vacuum post, causing too much gas to the cylinder.

As I said in my petcock write-up your better off in the long run just to order a new one.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old July 2nd, 2016, 02:02 PM   #26
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Is it up and running?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2016, 09:11 AM   #27
Jaytibba
ninjette.org member

yep its up and running. I still have some things I would like to do, but it runs and drives well.
little smoke coming from the exhaust flanges so its most likely just burning off oil and crap thats caught in there. My newer water pump also leaks a tad bit from the peep hole but she idles nice and runs fine revs right up and has good power. Here is a crappy picture of her current state.

The fairings were all super messed up so thats why I decided to go the naked route. It looks much better in person but yeah im happy with it for what iv'e spent

Old July 19th, 2016, 09:55 AM   #28
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
EZ Turn Fuel Resistant Grease

If you do need a grease that's made for lubricating parts in a fuel system, EZ Turn works well. You can get it from places like Aircraft Spruce.

Here's a post on the triples board I wrote about it a while back:

http://kawi2strokes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3592
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2016, 10:08 AM   #29
Jaytibba
ninjette.org member

Just cleaned her up. Added air to tires and topped of the oil. The water pump is no longer leaking I guess it just needed to purge a little water. May need to tighten suspension but I took her out last night and she ran and drove good!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 21st, 2016, 02:22 PM   #30
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Whoo!!! Back on the roads!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote