ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 16th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #121
PsychoNinja
Ninja Dog

Name: Brady

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

The Honda CBR 250R looks good, but I'll take my Ninja 250R any day!

Old December 16th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #122
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoNinja View Post
The Honda CBR 250R looks good, but I'll take my Ninja 250R any day!
+1

At the end of the day, it is the engine configuration (thumper) that is the deal-killer on the cbr..... however, they did fix a lot of the complaints with the Ninjette, and then some. They were doing so well, exceeding my expectations, until they took that fatal wrong turn.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #123
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I dunno if the thumper is going to be much of an issue, in and of itself. Early reviews are saying that vibration at all speeds is quite minimal.

http://www.ridermagazine.com/output.cfm?id=2708479

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #124
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Depending on where you live/what type of roads you ride the thumper can be a blast blasting out of tight corners. Here in RI alot of fun back roads are short, bumpy, and twisty (CC Cowboy showed me some I didn't know exist). Anyway I guy I know has one of the Yam 250X supermoto type thumpers and the thing blasts out of corners. Obiviously limited on the longer straight roads, but again depending on where you ride, what you ride, and how you ride, the single might be cool.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #125
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

The red, white and blue scheme reminds of the Honda VF Interceptor that I fell in love with when I was 13. It started my fascination with and desire for a sportbike. I also grew up riding a Honda 250SX ATC (which I finally just sold this past weekend). In fact, I always had Hondas...It's amazing to me that the Ninja has had this category to itself for so long.
oroboros is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #126
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I think that the Honda will be serious competition for the Ninja. The fact that it is a one cylinder in no way makes it any less competitive. Singles do handle differently than twins--and that should be taken into consideration. True, the Ninja is an absolute terror in the twisties--so is a single cylinder 250. Honda has done its homework. I think that the Ninja will have to take this machine seriously.

I am now a Honda owner, having just bought an NT-700V. Honda prides itself on the finish of their machines. They also do their research. My sense is that in terms of comparison, things will be close and left to the rider's skill as to who will be the winner and loser. Kawa should take Honda seriously--they play Hardball. My sense is that it will be a close call. Both bikes have their strengths. I would have a hard time deciding even though I have always liked singles.

Old December 18th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #127
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Ugly rear fender and awful, just awful rear view mirrors. Hate the look of it. It looks like a bug.

gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 05:16 AM   #128
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

I think that given the choice between the two I'd pick the Ninja, but I've yet to see a CBR250 in person. From the pictures I've seen the attention to detail on the Honda is amazing. It just looks like a more expensive bike compared to the Kawi. The instrument cluster is a glaring example. The gages on the Ninja 250 are one of the few things I don't like about my bike.

Also, I'd like to add that I'm glad that Honda chose to go with a different engine configuration than the Ninjette. I'd hate to see the sporty 250 class of bikes end up like the 600&1000 supersports. Where the bikes are all damn near the same. Also it looks like the Ninjette is a bit quicker than the CBR, and everybody knows that bragging rights are important.

Old December 22nd, 2010, 06:13 AM   #129
bob138
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 1991 EX500 , 2009 250r

Being a streetfighter guy, I care more about performance, ease of upgrading parts, reliability and MPG (because I'm cheap).

So far the Honda looks like a winner in my books. Honda necks usually use the same bearings so I'm guessing you can put any honda front end on that. Tail swap to get rid of the ugly back, drop the fairings, clean it up, and figure out a good headlight that fits.

I would love to be the first to fighter one out

Bob

My 09 250R Build
bob138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 11:16 AM   #130
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

I am interested to see the head to head comparisons when they come out. They make their power in different ways and in turn will have their strengths in different places. Pretty much no one tops Honda in terms of fit and finish and overall quality, so that will likely end up in the little CBRs favor. The Kawi has a giant head start in terms of market share and exposure. For what Honda is charging for their 250R it does make the Ninjette look overpriced.

Looking forward to the battle.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 12:43 PM   #131
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

I think the battle of the 4-stroke 250 comparisons in the mags will draw a lot of readers. But it shouldn't make or break a bike since it all comes down to the rider's skill level on these little bikes.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 01:45 PM   #132
Sailariel

I think that price will be a factor. For the money, the Ninjette is hard to beat. If Honda prices its 250 lower than the Ninja, they will steal some potential customers. There are also those who have to have the newest and the latest--who will probably go Honda.

The folks at Kawasaki are pretty sharp and may just one-up Honda. They may just introduce their FI model with some minor body/colour changes and leave the price the same. They don't have to retool for the FI model because they already have it. Perhaps a 2011 1/2 model after Honda shows its hand?

This will be one hell of a Poker Game to watch. When two good companies do battle, it is always interesting. I wonder what Yamaha will do? Take on the winner? The plot thickens.

Old December 22nd, 2010, 02:03 PM   #133
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

$3999...isn't that already cheaper than what the Kawi 250s are going for?

Old December 22nd, 2010, 02:25 PM   #134
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
I think that price will be a factor. For the money, the Ninjette is hard to beat. If Honda prices its 250 lower than the Ninja, they will steal some potential customers. There are also those who have to have the newest and the latest--who will probably go Honda.

The folks at Kawasaki are pretty sharp and may just one-up Honda. They may just introduce their FI model with some minor body/colour changes and leave the price the same. They don't have to retool for the FI model because they already have it. Perhaps a 2011 1/2 model after Honda shows its hand?

This will be one hell of a Poker Game to watch. When two good companies do battle, it is always interesting. I wonder what Yamaha will do? Take on the winner? The plot thickens.
FYI...Honda released pricing for that bike already...price isn't a "factor" cuz they're priced just about the same.
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 02:40 PM   #135
bob138
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 1991 EX500 , 2009 250r

I really hope this creates a better 250 market in general. Imagine if they revamped the 250s ever 3-4 years like they do for the 600s!!!

Bob

My 09 250R Build
bob138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2010, 04:31 PM   #136
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob138 View Post
I really hope this creates a better 250 market in general. Imagine if they revamped the 250s ever 3-4 years like they do for the 600s!!!

Bob
YES! This is the primary significance of the cbr entering the market, regardless of how much you love it or hate it. Kawi & Honda should be challenging each other to remain competitive. That's the idea anyways. I was starting to get afraid that Kawi has grown a little complacent, and greedy as the 250 prices have shot skyward in the last 3 years. The 250 was the bike that was always ridiculously cheap, now it is so close to the 650, IMO, that fewer new riders will probably look at it. I understood the price change in '08, but '09.... seriously!

Old December 23rd, 2010, 11:24 AM   #137
Sailariel

Doc, The competition is heating up for sure. In many cases, however, price is still important, especially when you compare insurance premiums between a 600 Sport Bike and a 250. So it now comes down to preference, brand loyalty, and two vs. one cylinders, FI vs. Carbs, options offered, e.g. ABS, and so on. I still wonder what Yamaha will do.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 04:23 AM   #138
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

So is this what Big Red want's to replace all the motogp 125 bikes with? I say we set up both in race trim and test them at the track, have a feeling mean green will continue to be the king even despite the ABS and FI.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:21 AM   #139
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

Not that it's a bad thing, but this Honda screams "beginner friendly" more than the Ninjette with its lighter weight, abs and thumper, I doubt anyone here would be happy to trade their ninja for the CBR. It will be significantly slower on the highway (that being one big reason people upgrade from the 250 in the first place). I just sold my ninja and even though I like that honda..I'd definitly pass on the downgrade in performance. It seriously look like a great bike, but nothing to make one trade from a 250R IMO.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:04 AM   #140
devmasa
ninjette.org member

Name: devmasa

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha R6, 2007 Ninja 250

You also have to consider that Asia is a huge market for lower cc motorcycles. The cbr250 is priced significantly lower that the Ninja 250 in almost all the Asian countries making it the preferred choice for the budget conscious beginners.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 02:35 PM   #141
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

What I'm really hoping now is to see Kawi finally come out with the FI Ninjette next year. That's when I'll be buying a new Ninjette for sure

Come on Kawi, give us the FI 250R like you did for all the other Countries!! You got some competition in the US now
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2011, 02:56 PM   #142
blade
ninjette.org member

Name: matt

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r

personally i dont care for it , it looks kinda ugly ill stick with my ninja sorry
blade is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2011, 04:08 PM   #143
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Come on Kawi, give us the FI 250R like you did for all the other Countries!! You got some competition in the US now
My GUESS is they are now planning to roll-out FI to the US in 2012. I know the FI seemed like an issue that was coming up back when they did the rider surveys, so they have got to be aware that we want it. The survey also makes me think they are at least asking themselves about some of the things needed to remain on top of the 250 market, but if it does come to the US in 2012... I bet we really have to thank Honda for the added motivation.

I didn't get into motorcycles until 2008, so I'm guessing Kawi wouldn't have gone ~20 years without a design change had there been competition at that level in the US all along.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 04:35 PM   #144
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
I didn't get into motorcycles until 2008, so I'm guessing Kawi wouldn't have gone ~20 years without a design change had there been competition at that level in the US all along.
I agree. They didn't have the need for improving before, but they definitely need to reconsider that now. I keep my fingers crossed for the FI on the Ninjette in 2012. I think it's fair to expect it at this point
I don't really care for the ABS, maybe the digital speedo would be nice, but we'll see how far they're willing to take it keeping the price reasonable.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2011, 05:19 PM   #145
Sailariel

It's funny now that I have become a Honda owner, I get all the Honda stuff in the mail--including the stuff on the new 250. They are really very closely matched in terms of power and weight. In the twisties, my bet would be on rider skill. I know that I would probably do better with a single than a twin--I had a single 250 for 25 years. It was not fast since it was a 1956 Vintage bike with 14 HP. Singles handle differently than twins. It will be an interesting year.

Old January 4th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #146
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Well more 250's in the E-superstock class in WERA is good I suppose, I just hope the race glass looks a hell of a lot better than that shamu looking front end. On the plus side you couldn't help but notice that monster, I dub thee Quasi-modo.

Old January 4th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #147
headshrink

Ducati 250?

Old January 4th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #148
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
Ducati 250?

250cc 4 stroke desmo single from the 1960's

Old January 4th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #149
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Maybe while we're watching the Honda and Kawasaki 250 showdown another company will come out of nowhere with the perfect 250 combination (2 cylinder, FI, water cooled, good looking).... I'd buy a Suzuki or Yamaha in a minute if they gave me what I really want.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #150
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

How about a 6 cylinder 250 Honda from back in the day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6cyl250.jpg (8.1 KB, 175 views)
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #151
devmasa
ninjette.org member

Name: devmasa

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha R6, 2007 Ninja 250

Found this on the cbr250.org forums :

more pics here : http://www.cbr250.org/forums/showthr...modded-cbr250r

Old January 5th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #152
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Wow!

I'm sold. I'm gonna get one.

Old January 5th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #153
TygaUSA.com
Tyga Performance

Name: TygaUSA

Motorcycle(s): Honda's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Wow!

I'm sold. I'm gonna get one.
Me too!!...I hope!

I still think the Ninja off the floor looks a bit better but I think there is gonna be lots of cool things to mod on the Honda, looks just being one!
TygaUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #154
headshrink

That is pretty awesome looking, but I do have to say... one thing I really like about the Ninjette (and bigger brother) that almost no other sport bikes have, is the part of the front faring that wraps around the sides of the windshield. I think it just looks weird/dumb to have a piece of acrylic jutting up from the nose by itself (unless it is a cruiser).

Old January 6th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #155
tygapaul
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Many

Hi, I'm new here and just thought I should mention that we have both a CBR150 and a CBR250 in the workshop at the moment to add to our long term 250 Ninja development bike. The Ninja seems a lot more substantial and less controversial visually. The Honda more modern and lighter. Performance we haven't tested yet because the 250 is not our bike so will try to get permission to do some road and track tests. At the moment, we are busy measuring to make CNC parts. Just for a giggle I photshopped our Aprilia bodywork on it. I wish making it real would be so easy but unfortunately the rear subframe is not detachable so some compromises would need to be made. Anyway here it is:

tygapaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #156
scotty

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOGCa...layer_embedded

Good vid of the bike!

Old January 8th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #157
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Nice. I was already sold, but now I want one even more. I was talking to a dealer the other day who said he thinks these are going to fly out the door initially like the Ninjette did and result in shortages until at least the summer. I sure hope not.
The only thing left is a deal-breaker - does it fit my 6' frame better or worse than the Ninjette?
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 8th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #158
scotty

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Nice. I was already sold, but now I want one even more. I was talking to a dealer the other day who said he thinks these are going to fly out the door initially like the Ninjette did and result in shortages until at least the summer. I sure hope not.
The only thing left is a deal-breaker - does it fit my 6' frame better or worse than the Ninjette?
It is a nice bike. I don't like the front end of it, but the rear looks great! I just wonder if the one cycl motor will keep up. Anyone know what the rpm rang is on the bike?

Old January 8th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #159
Jatan

Name: Jatan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250/300 (some day)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
It is a nice bike. I don't like the front end of it, but the rear looks great! I just wonder if the one cycl motor will keep up. Anyone know what the rpm rang is on the bike?
Attached tach pic: 0-10,500rpm & redline from 10,500-12,000rpm (maybe 12,500?)

The front end you can clean up a little on your own -- the headlight assembly you can put some tint/vinyl overlay on the bottom and make it into more of a V shape (attached a crappy MS paint pic) which shouldnt get too much in the way of light output at night. You can probably find other mirrors on eBay if you think they're sticking out too much. For front & rear turn signals you can get LED ones from eBay and wire them in
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rpm.jpg (147.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg front.jpg (42.8 KB, 10 views)

Old January 8th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #160
johnjohn
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Honda, Buell, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha

If you (Mr. 6') are worried about what you look like on the CBR then sit on the Ninja. Same size bike. New 400 Kawasaki may be better size wise!
johnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote