ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 15th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #1
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Valve Adjustment nightmare!!

So, started my first valve adjustment today! I removed all the fairings and all other parts that get in the way, yesterday so I could just knock out the adjustments in no time. Well everything was going well, I got three intake valves to spec no problem. I get to the fourth one and as I go to tighten the locknut. The feeler gauge slips out under the cam lobe. And falls down into the engine. Yes I know, I should have had a string on the end of it tied to something. Well, I didn't because my friend came over and decided to take off the feeler gauges from the other gauges. I didn't mind, as it was now easier to move my hands around in that tiny area. I thought there was no way I would drop the feeler gauge in the engine. And what do I do. I knock it into the engine somewhere. I just heard it fall in there and saw my day turning to crap! So I got a flashlight and looked below the cam chain where the feeler fell. Couldn't see it. So my friend and I thought about what we should do next. We drained the oil and looked into the oil filter area but that was a lost cause. So we took off the clutch cover and there it was. The stupid little feeler gauge just chillin' out in there. I guess I am lucky it was easy to find but I am still pissed. I have to order a new clutch cover gasket now. The old one broke into pieces. I tried to make my own out of a piece of gasket material from autozone but it is too thick. I just decided to order the correct part and do it right. I was afraid it would leak if I tried to make my own gasket. So I have to wait until forever to put my bike all back together. Oh well. Lesson learned I guess. Now I have tons of time to do other maintenance on the bike while I am waiting for the gasket to come.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Glad you found it!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #3
cuz
cuz

Name: Israel

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

lol happy ending: )
Posted via Mobile Device
cuz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #4
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2011 150cc chinaman scooter

The joys of a DIY mechanic! Glad you found it! Did you get the rest of the adjustment done?
Socal5646 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #5
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal5646 View Post
The joys of a DIY mechanic! Glad you found it! Did you get the rest of the adjustment done?

I am gonna finish up the exhaust side today. I lost a lot of time trying to get to that feeler gauge. And then I spent the rest of my daylight trying to make my own clutch cover gasket but it was too thick. So I just ordered the correct Kawasaki gasket online. Today I will be tying a string to the feeler gauge that I am using. I will never lose one of those things again. Hope I don't run into more problems today. Wish me luck!

Old October 16th, 2011, 08:45 AM   #6
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Just take your time. I'm glad you found that feeler gauge. Lucky!!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #7
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

Nice save! I feel your pain as that's how I learned to wrench back in the day. Good thing is that wisdom comes from experiences like this!
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #8
Jono

Well I got two exhaust valves done! But I am feeling kinda sick today. I stopped when I felt like I was going to throw up. So I will finish up the other two valves tomorrow if I am feeling better. There is no rush though since I have to wait for my clutch cover gasket to arrive. That will probably come later this week. I also ordered the oil filter assembly spring and washer because one of the previous owners of my bike decided they would just not put it in there. I discovered this the first time I changed the oil, but decided to wait until the next time I changed the oil to buy the spring. I also ordered the oil screen cover gasket. I figured I will clean off the screen because I am sure that it has never been done before. So I am just waiting on those parts.

Old October 21st, 2011, 10:31 AM   #9
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

That kind of stuff is the reason why I ordered the tool.

Old October 28th, 2011, 03:23 AM   #10
TheTopher
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250F

Glad you got the gauge out!

As for the tool, I just made my own.

I grinded the flares off the end of a screwdriver so it could fit down through a socket and put a pair of vise grips on the socket.

TheTopher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2011, 04:40 AM   #11
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Someone else recommended deep well sockets, but I found that the exhaust cams got in the way so I couldn't get the crank exactly at TDC. I was using a short socket with an extension until I got the tool. The tool is basically a 12 point 9mm short socket with a tube extension welded on the end of it. That way, it doesn't interfere with the exhaust valves and still allows you to insert the special stubby screwdriver. Since I plan on owning a Ninja for a long time, it makes sense to own the right tool.

Old October 28th, 2011, 06:08 AM   #12
TheTopher
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Someone else recommended deep well sockets, but I found that the exhaust cams got in the way so I couldn't get the crank exactly at TDC. I was using a short socket with an extension until I got the tool. The tool is basically a 12 point 9mm short socket with a tube extension welded on the end of it. That way, it doesn't interfere with the exhaust valves and still allows you to insert the special stubby screwdriver. Since I plan on owning a Ninja for a long time, it makes sense to own the right tool.
Definitely makes sense having the right tool.

Doesn't make sense to order one and wait for it to arrive to finish your project when I can usually just whip something up that works just as well and keep on working.

Every so often I'll break down and have to halt work for a special tool, but this was not one of those times.

Old October 28th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #13
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Someone else recommended deep well sockets, but I found that the exhaust cams got in the way so I couldn't get the crank exactly at TDC.
Dspite what the manual says, the bike does not need to be exactly TDC. The cams just have to be clear of the rockers. I've done (I've lost count, really) valve adjustments and never once popped the timing peep hole cover off. And once you've done enough of these, you learn how to do it without needing the KAwi tool at all. I do own one, and I do use it, and it is easier than making "something else" work. YMMV.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #14
Jono

Just an update: The valve adjustment went smoothly after I got my feeler gauge out. I finished up the exhaust side with no problems. I then just rotated the the cam several times, checked all the clearances, rotated the cam, checked clearances. They were all in spec. Put the bike back together as much as I could as I waited for my parts to arrive. Once the parts came in I cleaned the old gasket off the clutch cover and put on the new one. Put that all back together. Then I took off the oil screen cover, took out the screen and gave it a wipe down. It wasn't very dirty at all. But my bike only had 9000 miles. I then scraped off the old gasket and put the new one on. Put all that back together and it has no leaks! So I am happy. The bike is running grrrrreeeaaat! I am glad I did the valve adjustment myself. I learned a lot about my bike and feel much more confident now! Everybody should learn to do the valve adjustment.

So after about 20 miles of riding the bike after the adjustment I noticed a weird smell on my way to campus. I didn't really pay much attention to it, thinking it was just oil burning off from around the clutch cover and oil filter area. (It dripped down the engine some as I was taking it off.) I left the campus to go to a friends house. Got to his house and just took a look around the engine to see if I could figure out what that smell was. Well I noticed coolant leaking onto the ground. I saw that is was leaking from the hose that is by the valve cover. I rode home and let it cool down. Took the side panels and gas tank off. I didn't tighten the hose clamp tight enough when I put it back in place. I am happy that is all it was. I was worried I would have had to order more parts and drained the coolant to repair something, but I don't! It was just that hose clamp. Anywho, My first valve adjustment had its ups and downs, but I am happy that I got it done! My bike is awesome now! Next thing to do is the fender delete. I won a stock fender with blinkers off ebay that I am going to cut up. I want to keep my stock fender for resale reasons.

Old October 29th, 2011, 02:20 AM   #15
TheTopher
ninjette.org member

Working on your toys wouldn't be as fun if it weren't for the hiccups.

Nice looking bike, glad you got everything buttoned back up!

Old November 8th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #16
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 + many others!

And for the future, invest in one of those magnetic pick-up tools that looks like a telescopic car aerial with a magnet on the end !
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #17
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
And for the future, invest in one of those magnetic pick-up tools that looks like a telescopic car aerial with a magnet on the end !
I was thinking about buying one of those the day it happened but I figured it wouldn't be strong enough to attract the .005 feeler gauge. That size feeler gauge is pretty thin, and I though it would just attract to all the other metal in the engine. But who knows, it may have worked. I will put one on my Christmas list!

Old November 8th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #18
Jiggyfly
ninjette.org member

Name: Shon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki ninja 250

Consider yourself extremely lucky that it was so easily retrievable!
Work on anything for a long enough period of time....... And you will have a mishap. Any mechanic that tells you he hasn't is either lying, or hasnt actually worked on anything.
Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #19
Tony B
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 + many others!

Oh yes, we've all done it. I dropped a washer down into a Triumph engine years ago, got it out by attaching a strip of blu-tack to the crank flywheel, then oiling it, rotated the crank, and the washer came up stuck to the oil. A bit of a fluke I'm sure, probably wouldn't have worked a second time
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote