Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old June 19th, 2008, 04:53 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[motorcyclistonline] - Being Chris Pfeiffer

Being Chris Pfeiffer
Have you had time to reflect on the weekend's victory and what it means to you?
The other riders were pushing hard and all of them said I deserved the title again without any doubt, so that makes me very happy. The event in Switzerland is my favourite competition and I am proud that I made it through, although the pressure was high.

You've got a busy few months coming up, with shows in Libya, USA, Malaysia, France and Spain. How difficult is it to transport your bikes around to the long-haul destinations?
Well I have several identical bikes and we send them around the world with DHL in crates. These guys do a great job and so far I always got my bikes in time at the events - even in some exotic countries where custom clearance is not that easy. Riding overseas takes much more effort than it does in Europe and sometimes I feel as if I am working for a logistics company as a side job! In central Europe we travel to the events with the Knaus motorhome and a trailer - that's so easy and relaxed.

Which is your favourite country to visit, and why?
Riding in Taiwan was awesome, as the crowd goes crazy there and I didn't expect that. The shows next to the beach in the Caribbean are also not too bad! Travelling is an interesting part of my job and I love to get in touch with different civilisations.

How many miles are you driving each year to your shows?
Last year we drove around 31,000 miles but I also fly a lot. In fact, I had around 60 take-offs last year.

What car do you drive?
BMW X5.

What music do you like to drive to?
Hip Hop, rock and good pop.

Do you ever ride bikes still, just for fun?
Yes, I ride my BMW HP2 Megamoto on the road and my trials bike to follow my kids around on their quads and MX-kidsbike.

Approximately how many hours per week do you spend on the stunt bike practicing?,br/>It completely depends on my schedule. When I am at home I practice around 10-15 hours a week on my F 800 stunt bike.

What other elements are there to your current training regime?
I cycle for around 30 minutes every day, do some gymnastics, stretching and a bit of weight training. I have my own little gym at home. Nordic skiing is also a part of my training.

Which bike are you using for this year's European Hill Climbing Championship? Do you plan to finally get to the top of the hill?
I'll ride a new 450 in the standard class and probably a custom bike with an F 800 engine in the special class. I'll manage to get to the top of the hill - by foot at the track inspection at least!

Will you be entering the Erzberg Rodeo again this year?
I have to decide pretty soon.

Ever thought of starting up a stunt riding school?
I don't feel like doing that, but I'd love to build a stunt and trial freestyle park with flat asphalt and nice obstacles.

What do you think you might have done if you hadn't become a professional stunt rider?
I'd probably be a teacher now for sports and biology. I graduated in that.

What has been your scariest moment on a motorcycle?
It was when my rear brake didn't work during a high-speed wheelie because it had overheated. I almost flipped the bike.

What will you do when your days as a competitor are over?
I'll still ride shows and ride for DVDs and video clips.

Which motorcycle riders do you most respect and why?
Valentino Rossi, Ricky Carmichael and Jeremy McGrath. They've all got some serious natural speed.

Which tricks would you most like to be remembered for?
They are still to come!

Are there any tricks that you have in your head that you still have to make happen in reality?
Yes I still dream of a real 360-degree stoppie turn.

What's the best way for someone to start learning a few tricks on a motorcycle?
First you have to find a good spot with some smooth asphalt and then try step-by-step to get control over your toy. It's advisable to wear some suitable protection of course. Use your rear brake all the time for wheelies and use a good brake fluid to avoid overheating.

Since you have been performing on a BMW, have you seen a change in the perception of the brand around the world?
Definitely. Even in the core stunt-riding scene the brand is accepted and admired. Everywhere around the world the image of BMW has changed and young people are interested in the brand now more and more.

What's your favourite thing about living in Germany?
I feel at home here in the very south of Germany in my small village. We have a bit of everything: mountains, lakes, and good riding spots. And Munich is not that far away.

I guess your association with Red Bull puts you in contact with some pretty crazy people? Who is the most 'extreme' of their athletes, in your opinion, and why?
Travis Pastrana is such an energetic guy. He lives his dreams and he's always on the edge.

Any thoughts of doing any DVDs with the BMWs?
Yes my DVD will be out in April or probably May.

What is your favorite photograph of you?
I really like the 'wheelie circle' picture (right) where I am touching the ground from last weekend's competition in Zurich because the angle shows the speed that I have when I touch the ground. I showed that trick for the first time in Zurich last year, and now lots of riders do it but not with my angle.

Photo Gallery: Being Chris Pfeiffer - Motorcyclist Magazine

Read More | Digg It | Add to del.icio.us

Click here for full story...